An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kid Nation

homeschoolmom

Taylor makes me seriously irritated. She says she's going to change, but I'm going to be surprised if she follows through.

Same with Greg--if he does get the star, I feel like he'll gloat about it. And swearing in front of eight-year-olds is not cool.

This week, there's supposed to be a big debate over the town religion. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm Mr. Snikkers

I watch it last week. I thought it was pretty cool.

But I did not like Greg...at all...

I'm watching it this week.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1399334' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:11 AM']Taylor makes me seriously irritated. She says she's going to change, but I'm going to be surprised if she follows through.

Same with Greg--if he does get the star, I feel like he'll gloat about it. And swearing in front of eight-year-olds is not cool.

This week, there's supposed to be a big debate over the town religion. I'm looking forward to it.[/quote]
Something I'm concerned about with this show is something that is true of all reality tv shows and that is editing. Has Taylor said some really stupid, bratty things? Yes. Do we know if that's all she ever says? Well, it could very well be... but we don't know for sure because of editing... same with Greg. I'm somewhat concerned with how these children will feel watching themselves be vilified when that may not have been exactly the way they behaved in Bananza City. I'm a little concerned with how a child will handle being the subject of blogs etc. It's embarrassing enough to have your bad behavior chastized by your parents in front of a neighbor or something. It's something else again to have the whole country HATE you.... She's only, what? nine?
Btw, I think this week's episode will be really interesting. The subject of religion comes up sooo rarely on reality shows and yet it's really a big part of many people's lives. Should be interesting to see how the kids handle it.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1399371' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:29 AM']Something I'm concerned about with this show is something that is true of all reality tv shows and that is editing. Has Taylor said some really stupid, bratty things? Yes. Do we know if that's all she ever says? Well, it could very well be... but we don't know for sure because of editing... same with Greg. I'm somewhat concerned with how these children will feel watching themselves be vilified when that may not have been exactly the way they behaved in Bananza City. I'm a little concerned with how a child will handle being the subject of blogs etc. It's embarrassing enough to have your bad behavior chastized by your parents in front of a neighbor or something. It's something else again to have the whole country HATE you.... She's only, what? nine?
Btw, I think this week's episode will be really interesting. The subject of religion comes up sooo rarely on reality shows and yet it's really a big part of many people's lives. Should be interesting to see how the kids handle it.[/quote]

I could understand how your afraid the editing may be skewed, which is perfectly possible, but I think Taylor is probably accurate because of how the town reacted at the town meeting. It seemed like everybody had a problem with her

homeschoolmom

No doubt. She's certainly said many, many things that would merrit a punishment in my house ("beauty queens don't do dishes," "Let them starve" etc). I just wonder what realizing that the nation hates you does to her. I HOPE that she's learned from the council meeting and has shaped up...

She was brought to tears by everyone in the little town meeting saying she had a problem, imagine if she realizes the whole country agreed with them. wow... although, maybe her experience through the whole 40 days changed her, and so now she would understand why they had a problem with her and think of herself as a different person now. still gotta be embarrassing to have that known everywhere.

she'll probably get over it because of all the fame she has anyway, I'm sure she just eats that part up, being a little beauty queen and all ;)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1399371' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:29 PM']Something I'm concerned about with this show is something that is true of all reality tv shows and that is editing. Has Taylor said some really stupid, bratty things? Yes. Do we know if that's all she ever says? Well, it could very well be... but we don't know for sure because of editing... same with Greg. I'm somewhat concerned with how these children will feel watching themselves be vilified when that may not have been exactly the way they behaved in Bananza City. I'm a little concerned with how a child will handle being the subject of blogs etc. It's embarrassing enough to have your bad behavior chastized by your parents in front of a neighbor or something. It's something else again to have the whole country HATE you.... She's only, what? nine?
Btw, I think this week's episode will be really interesting. The subject of religion comes up sooo rarely on reality shows and yet it's really a big part of many people's lives. Should be interesting to see how the kids handle it.[/quote]
I couldn't agree with you more, hsmom. I won't be able to watch this week. But I'll be eager to see how you all react.

I caught this show for the first time last night. It was great! so seldom that we get a possitive view of religion from the media.

It started with one of the girls from green, I forgot her name, led a prayer group. It seemed like most of the kids participated and their prayer were awesome. Then after teh challenge they were given a choice of a minigolf green or holy books. They went for the holy books and that was followed by scenes of the kids discussing them. They weer reading from different Bible versions and comparing them to the Torah. One of the boys is Hindu and he lit a prayer fire(?) Is that the right term? I am afraid I don't know much about Hindu practices. Anyway he was explaining what he believed and what meaning his actions had. It was pretty cool!