Mercy me Posted November 28, 2007 Posted November 28, 2007 Perhaps it is time to shed my stripes and go with spots.
Theologian in Training Posted November 28, 2007 Author Posted November 28, 2007 [quote name='Mercy me' post='1426097' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:37 AM']Perhaps it is time to shed my stripes and go with spots.[/quote] You should, it is the little things I really like. For example, now instead of searching endlessly for a file, I can drop in my toolbar on the bottom and when I click it all the folders come up if it is too much otherwise it all "scrolls" up. Also, I like how you can navigate with the same environment as iTunes. Spotlight also was definitely overhauled. I appreciate Time Machine and if I had a faster computer would benefit from it, but because it indexes your drive everytime you connect it, it lags my computer, even with is indexing to an external Serial drive. I also think Safari is a lot more stable. It kept crashing on me under Tiger and I all but gave up on it, I find myself using it more now. Also, all dloads are on your bottom toolbar (I am forgetting what it is called) and it is as easy as clicking on them to load them up. Also, I never had front row (memory hog, btw) but it works. You don't need the remote (an Apple employee once showed me the bypass...the Apple button and Esc at the same time Actually, it is packed with all the new stuff, most of which I cannot use...Front Row, Photo Booth (no camera) and Expose. Oh, almost forgot, Spaces is a neat little feature...you can have multiple DESKTOPS running at the same time...one for music, one for Word work, one for whatever and another for whatever...all independent of each other too...really really cool feature...hmmm...anything else...oh iCal has a different format...kind of like Google calendars...ummm...oh, in finder now, there is an option to search your most recently opened documents and files. And, lastly, I like the desktop background I am sure there are many more things I am forgetting or have yet to discover...oh yeah, you can preview a file without opening it in finder to check to make sure it is indeed the file you want. Try it out for yourself, I am sure you will be very pleased. I know this post was convoluted, but I was just going off the top of my head...no segways and such
Mercy me Posted December 27, 2007 Posted December 27, 2007 I got Leopard for Christmas! I am about to install it.
Theologian in Training Posted December 28, 2007 Author Posted December 28, 2007 [quote name='Mercy me' post='1438764' date='Dec 27 2007, 12:55 AM']I got Leopard for Christmas! I am about to install it.[/quote] Definitely much easier than vista
Mercy me Posted December 28, 2007 Posted December 28, 2007 You know it! I got on a Vista computer at a hotel last week and it was awful. Leopard is great though. I love the stacks. I like the new mail. The overall appearance seems a bit crisper. I miss the stainless steel look toolbar.
Spamity Calamity Posted December 28, 2007 Posted December 28, 2007 Blech, more proprietary software bs from Macintrash.
Theologian in Training Posted December 28, 2007 Author Posted December 28, 2007 [quote name='Spamity Calamity' post='1439114' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:11 PM']Blech, more proprietary software bs from Macintrash.[/quote] Technically, it is not called Macintosh anymore, so you will have to think up a new way to insult Apple
Spamity Calamity Posted December 28, 2007 Posted December 28, 2007 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1439267' date='Dec 28 2007, 04:26 PM']Technically, it is not called Macintosh anymore, so you will have to think up a new way to insult Apple [/quote] Then I shall have to resort to image Macros! mwa ha ha ha! No real animosities though. I hope you like your new operating system. It sounds like you will. [img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/Coyote1911/IProductclean.gif[/img]
Mercy me Posted December 29, 2007 Posted December 29, 2007 Spamity, Your just jealous that you don't have one. Everything is now great. I couldn't send e-mail but the Apple boards provided the solution to the problem. Those boards are a godsend.
KnightofChrist Posted January 12, 2008 Posted January 12, 2008 Anyone else getting the problems of not being able to repair permissions? And X crashing if wifi network is lost?
Theologian in Training Posted January 12, 2008 Author Posted January 12, 2008 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1444986' date='Jan 12 2008, 04:18 PM']Anyone else getting the problems of not being able to repair permissions? And X crashing if wifi network is lost?[/quote] Nope. What exactly is the problem you are experiencing?
KnightofChrist Posted January 12, 2008 Posted January 12, 2008 (edited) I have an MacBook, running 10.5.1 if my wifi network is lost, or sometimes when it comes back from sleep mode I will get the crash alert, [img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/TheVoodookilla/osxcrash.gif[/img] asking to press the boot button down until the machine turns itself off, and when attempting repair permissions, I will receive the following... Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired. Edited January 12, 2008 by KnightofChrist
Theologian in Training Posted January 12, 2008 Author Posted January 12, 2008 (edited) Apparently, it is nothing to be concerned about. [url="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925"]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925[/url] I had similar errors when I had an external drive connected and was using Time Machine, have you been doing that? Actually, after I applied the new update it worked fine. Have you installed the new update? Edited January 12, 2008 by Theologian in Training
KnightofChrist Posted January 13, 2008 Posted January 13, 2008 I dont have any extra hd connected, I guess I can over look the permission issue. It's the crashing when network is switched. Or the machine goes to or comes back from sleep which is the real problem. Hard Crashes for a computer are like heart attacks. Enuff times and the hd will be damaged. I cant find anything about how to fix the crash bug. I've installed all the updates I can.
Theologian in Training Posted January 13, 2008 Author Posted January 13, 2008 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1445247' date='Jan 13 2008, 10:53 AM']I dont have any extra hd connected, I guess I can over look the permission issue. It's the crashing when network is switched. Or the machine goes to or comes back from sleep which is the real problem. Hard Crashes for a computer are like heart attacks. Enuff times and the hd will be damaged. I cant find anything about how to fix the crash bug. I've installed all the updates I can.[/quote] Well, you are not alone. The one new suggestion I saw is making adjustments to your router, what router are you running, what is its standard G or N? Based on that, there seem to be a few tweaks you can make.
missionarybelle Posted January 13, 2008 Posted January 13, 2008 i got Leopard and i like some stuff about it but i find that my programs crash more often. when i just had tiger, i think i had to force quit a program twice. now i have to do it about once a week. it's annoying. but other than that, i love it
KnightofChrist Posted January 13, 2008 Posted January 13, 2008 It's a G. It would seem 10.5.2 is due out within the month, and is over 350 mb apparently... This is to fix most major bugs... I hope so But I dont know how I'd make tweaks, for one the router's software is pc only... which is not that big of deal, I have an old pc... but any attempt to tweak the network prefs causes a crash! So... idk
KnightofChrist Posted January 13, 2008 Posted January 13, 2008 [url="http://pcproblems.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/windows-vista-i%E2%80%99m-breaking-up-with-you/"]All and all its not at all as bad as Vista![/url]
Theologian in Training Posted January 14, 2008 Author Posted January 14, 2008 [quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1445335' date='Jan 13 2008, 04:24 PM']It's a G. It would seem 10.5.2 is due out within the month, and is over 350 mb apparently... This is to fix most major bugs... I hope so But I dont know how I'd make tweaks, for one the router's software is pc only... which is not that big of deal, I have an old pc... but any attempt to tweak the network prefs causes a crash! So... idk[/quote] Can't you adjust it from a website? Most routers have this ability. What kind of router is it?
KnightofChrist Posted January 22, 2008 Posted January 22, 2008 Now I can not seem to move folders around without coping them to the folder I wish to move them to. Also seemly do not have the access privileges?! I own the machine 1,066.34 of it... which is all of it... Agh...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now