An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You're Going To Confession...

Ash Wednesday

cathoholic_anonymous

At our church it's the PRIEST who talks forever. Last time I was in the confessional he started reminiscing about his childhood in Spain. (The topic was vaguely connected to my confessions.) I was expecting to be there for ten minutes at the most, an estimate that allowed for Father's verbosity, but he went on for such a long time that all I could think about by the end was, "I need the toilet I need the toilet Ineedthetoilet..."

Catholictothecore

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448171' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:58 PM']True, but people can make an appointment, though. I agree that don't think she meant any harm. It's just a general observation and a polite reminder. The anger was really just in jest, that's why I capped the ending with a :)[/quote]

I don't think people should have to make an appointment at all. Think about it, the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession are the two most frequently needed by the Faithful. I think each priest should be required to offer an hour of confession a day, or at least, once every two days. I wish it were that way. Or, at least, required to offer it as frequently as the population of the surrounding area justifies. In a small parish with twenty-to-fifty families (like the one I grew up in), daily might not be neccesary, but daily mass was provided.

I think it just makes sense.

i think confession should be offered more often than once a week on saturdays for an hour and a half, without having to make an appointment. :rolleyes: that's ridiculous.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1449802' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:55 PM']i think confession should be offered more often than once a week on saturdays for an hour and a half, without having to make an appointment. :rolleyes: that's ridiculous.[/quote]

You guys are lucky.

We have confession once a week on Saturdays for 45 minutes.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Catholictothecore' post='1449800' date='Jan 23 2008, 07:47 PM']I don't think people should have to make an appointment at all. Think about it, the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession are the two most frequently needed by the Faithful. I think each priest should be required to offer an hour of confession a day, or at least, once every two days. I wish it were that way. Or, at least, required to offer it as frequently as the population of the surrounding area justifies. In a small parish with twenty-to-fifty families (like the one I grew up in), daily might not be neccesary, but daily mass was provided.

I think it just makes sense.[/quote]

During Advent and Lent we have confessions for an hour everyday. Sadly, not many people come, but, hey we try.

[quote name='Catholictothecore' post='1449800' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:47 PM']I don't think people should have to make an appointment at all. Think about it, the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession are the two most frequently needed by the Faithful. I think each priest should be required to offer an hour of confession a day, or at least, once every two days. I wish it were that way. Or, at least, required to offer it as frequently as the population of the surrounding area justifies. In a small parish with twenty-to-fifty families (like the one I grew up in), daily might not be neccesary, but daily mass was provided.

I think it just makes sense.[/quote]

We only have one priest and a pretty big congregation. We have confession Mondays, morning from 8:15 til it is done and again at 5:30 to 7:00 and Saturdays 3:30 to 5:00. I think about four times a year there is a mass confession and there are like ten priests and they spread out in the sanctuary and tons of people go. That is my favorite because the spirit is just flying around that place. You can also make an appointment if you want.

Servant of the Secret Fire

Now I'm not trying to make you jealous but I was thinking the other day just how blessed I am with regards to access to the sacraments at university. There are three churches within easy walking distance (one being the cathedral) all of which have several Masses a day, the cathedral has adoration most of the morning and afternoon, all three have either two or three confession slots a day. In one case, in a church served by the Passionists, they have confessions for an hour and a half every weekday morning! I suppose it is one of the benefits of studying on a city centre campus.

And there is our university chaplain who celebrates Mass daily, and will hear confessions on request. Though to be frank I don't think that happens very much - the chaplaincy isn't exactly busy.

Of course it's an entirely secular university so I don't think the Principal will be using "Great access to the sacraments!" as a selling point in the prospectus anytime soon. :lol_roll:

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1450071' date='Jan 24 2008, 06:40 PM']During Advent and Lent we have confessions for an hour everyday. Sadly, not many people come, but, hey we try.[/quote]

We really do appreciate priests' efforts, Father! Your faith in the Sacrament will help bring people to it!

:pray: St John Vianney pray for all confessors!

Edited by Servant of the Secret Fire

We're pretty lucky in my Diocese, one of the Churches here has confessions starting 15 minutes before every weekday Mass. I've taken advantage of that many times. :)

Edited by nLEyETn

[quote name='Servant of the Secret Fire' post='1450152' date='Jan 24 2008, 04:04 PM']Now I'm not trying to make you jealous but I was thinking the other day just how blessed I am with regards to access to the sacraments at university. There are three churches within easy walking distance (one being the cathedral) all of which have several Masses a day, the cathedral has adoration most of the morning and afternoon, all three have either two or three confession slots a day. In one case, in a church served by the Passionists, they have confessions for an hour and a half every weekday morning! I suppose it is one of the benefits of studying on a city centre campus.

And there is our university chaplain who celebrates Mass daily, and will hear confessions on request. Though to be frank I don't think that happens very much - the chaplaincy isn't exactly busy.

Of course it's an entirely secular university so I don't think the Principal will be using "Great access to the sacraments!" as a selling point in the prospectus anytime soon. :lol_roll:
We really do appreciate priests' efforts, Father! Your faith in the Sacrament will help bring people to it!

:pray: St John Vianney pray for all confessors![/quote]

I wish we had this. Actually, I just wish we had a chaplain at all. The closest parish to us does have daily Mass on M-F, but the church is locked during most of the day so you can't go in and pray or anything. I wish we had a priest who could just come and be available on campus a few days a week or something.

I'm sure though, that if I asked any of the priests around [at either that parish or any of the parishes in the area] for confession after Mass or something they would be perfectly willing.

Our parish has confessions Wednesday nights before Mass, but most other places in the area have confessions before the Saturday evening Mass.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1449832' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:58 PM']You guys are lucky.

We have confession once a week on Saturdays for 45 minutes.[/quote]

mine too, but we have an abundance of churches to choose from with different schedules.

i wonder if there was a time when most churches had confession before each Mass?