picchick Posted March 10, 2008 Posted March 10, 2008 Ok, so I am trying to get to running. I need to get into running shape for some requirements. I can swim and bike ok but running is HORRIBLE. Is there anyone out there who hates to run? How do you get through it if you need to? Plus I am bored and I am fishing for posts I guess.
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 I don't like all the pounding feeling in all my body. I also don't like the feeling of being out of breath. For some reason when I am biking or swimming I get out of breath but not like in running. I usually push myself too when I bike or swim. I am not sure why running is any worse. When it is all said and done I feel like I accomplished something but I just hate running. I see these track kids run and run or joggers in the wee early hours of the morning and I have to say, "Kudos to you guys!" Anyway...
T-Bone _ Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 The pounding is part of running. hmm... I can't give advice about that. As for the out-of-breathness, walk if you need to. Build up some stamina, it'll get better.
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 Maybe I am not built to run lol.... I was able to make 8 blocks the other day. (3 then walked, then 5 then walked) I am hoping to boost that up. I need to be able to work it up to a mile. I guess that means I need to stop procrastinating and hit the pavement. Meg
littleflower+JMJ Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I'm one of those people who really dislike running. I use to play basketball back a long time ago (back when Jesus was a boyscout I'm old ) and I hated running even then. lol But I started back up again like a year or two ago and while it took a whole lot of getting use to, its actually fun now! I just recommend building up slowly and adding a little after getting comfortable with a certain time or length. Its fun trying to beat the clock every now and then too. But it does get easier! I do recommend switching up though, swimming is actually the best thing you can do to exercise because its not putting pressure or pounding on your joints like running does.
29908 Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I know how to feel... I really can't get into running either. I can bike and swim my little heart out, but running eeks me in a weird way... But I think I may try it out again- runners are awesome! And they are just so fit... !
jeffpugh Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I wish I had stamina to run. I used to like running when I was young.
rachael Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 (edited) work up to it. start out with what you can and build up... Edited March 11, 2008 by rachael
littleflower+JMJ Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 another must...MUSIC! If I don't have music when I'm running, I might as well be a lump on a log because I am most likely not going anywhere. lol
Ash Wednesday Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 How do I get through running? I don't. I simply don't do it. Problem solved.
littleflower+JMJ Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1475265' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:25 PM']having the police chase you helps a lot[/quote] In my neighborhood, its cops AND mean dogs. Not saying I've ever had to be one of those situations or anything.
scardella Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 Once upon a time, I could not jog more than maybe an eighth of a mile... First things first. You have to be dedicated to doing this bare minimum 3 times a week, every day if you can. Ok, now that that's through, what I did was this. I had "pushing" days and "easy" days. If you're only doing three times a week, every day is a "pushing" day. A pushing day was where I pushed myself until I was worn out completely, usually making better distance/time/speed (at least one of three) than my previous best. (This is even if it's only an extra 30 seconds or 100 yards.) An easy day was just doing what I knew I'd be comfortable with and not try to be too hard on myself. With this, I had gotten up from an eighth of a mile (don't know how long it took) to 5k (3.2 mi) in about 40 minutes. Finally, it really helps to have an exercise buddy.
morostheos Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I started running this past fall and the way I did it was using the Couch to 5k running plan - it worked pretty well for me. Following it wasn't hard and I didn't end each day feeling like I hated running but instead was pleasantly surprised at how well it went. Check it out! [url="http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml"]Couch to 5k Running Plan[/url]
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 Wow...thanks everyone! I need to work at this. I have a plan to enter the military when I graduate from nursing school so I am trying to work myself up. First off...I did not know how much a difference nice runnings shoes will make! I had 2 year old gym shoes that I was running in. It iwas holy and worn out. Now I used nice running shoes and it was great today. I almost made a mile!! Second off...I plan on running at least 3 times a week and switching it up with swimming/biking. I am not going for speed. More endurance. I think I will take all your advice and slowly build myself up. Third off...I tried music today. That made it easier too. I ran to the beat of the music and it took my mind off it. Fourth off...Jamie, that post MADE MY DAY!!!! Thank you. I bet the cops would help. I think that would ruin my military chances though I think the mere embarrassment of my running encourages me to keep running in the presence of others. I just can hear them all in my head say, "Look at the whimp. She thinks she can run! I bet she won't make it around the track again!" Yeah, and that makes me go around the track again even though I feel like my legs are jello. Thank you all!! If you have any other suggestions let me know! I need all the help I can get lol. Meg
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 Oh, I also did 15 minutes. It really felt great...I am really proud of myself for sticking with it and not dying. That would of been embarrassing!
Brigid Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 you're off to a great start! I ran cross country last year and - trust me - I am NOT a distance runner. it takes SO much effort, and a really strong will. I really admire people like you.
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 Oh geez....don't admire me. I am not worth that. lol
faithfulrock3r Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 (edited) i started running this past summer, and let me tell you, it's easily the hardest and most painful thing i've ever done. however, it's also one of the most rewarding things i've ever done, so i guess the saying "no pain no gain" is quite true. I remember the first day of cross-country (i did XC and winter track for the first time this year), after practice i seriously considered quitting, and entertained the same idea for the next several days. however, i stuck with it, and i'm extremely glad that i did. Well that's my little running story/encouragement thing anyway. As for how to "run through the pain", not give up, etc.: 1) music is a good idea 2)running with other people helps a whole lot, because you wont want to give up in front of them 3)offer up the pain to God. basically, what you need to do is make a resolution to stick with it, and keep that resolution. if you resolve to run on a regular basis, and stick with it, you'll be in amazing shape, and also have gained massive amounts of self-control, self-confidence, etc. the benefits far outway the shortness of breath and sore legs, trust me. just keep at it, gradually increase the distance/time that you run (maybe every week or every other week, add some distance or some time to your run), and soon you'll be seeing the results. God bless. oh, and this is a good website: [url="http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-380-381-386-0,00.html"]http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,712...1-386-0,00.html[/url] Edited March 11, 2008 by faithfulrock3r
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now