picchick Posted March 13, 2008 Author Posted March 13, 2008 Today was BAAADDD.....I don't know what was wrong with me. I think I did ok though. I kinda lost track of much I ran. I think let's see... between 7-9 blocks. I mos def need to work on my breathing. I still am rolling my feet rather than running on my toes. I need to drink more water during the day. Usually I do ok but today I was skimpy. For the air force I need to run 1.5 miles. Meg
goldbug16 Posted March 13, 2008 Posted March 13, 2008 Getting the breathing is the hardest part... I'm guessing you're running on tar? I do cross country.
picchick Posted March 13, 2008 Author Posted March 13, 2008 I ran on the bike trail and on grass today. The other day I did the track. The track was easier than the street or trail. Wow! Kudos to you for the cross-country, I'm afraid that I would twist my ankle.
Moosey Posted March 13, 2008 Posted March 13, 2008 She lives in the middle of the woods she has no choice but do run cross country
goldbug16 Posted March 13, 2008 Posted March 13, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1476486' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:21 PM']I ran on the bike trail and on grass today. The other day I did the track. The track was easier than the street or trail. Wow! Kudos to you for the cross-country, I'm afraid that I would twist my ankle.[/quote] *whispers* The reason I run cross country is because my feet don't hurt as much after. Sometimes I fall too, but then you get back up and keep running. [quote name='Moosey' post='1476493' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:25 PM']She lives in the middle of the woods she has no choice but do run cross country [/quote] Excuse me missy, but I have road near me. You exxagerate.
Red Knight Posted March 18, 2008 Posted March 18, 2008 To start off, my background: 14 years in the military (and counting) 4 marathons Numerous 5, 8, and 10Ks Running shoes are not absolutely necessary. I run barefoot from time to time. It's not what you put on your feet that is important, it's getting your body reeducated on proper running form. This is actually easier than it sounds because your body naturally knows how, you just need to relax. There have been a lot of good tips posted thus far, but focusing your mind on all of those will only frustrate you and tire you out. The greatest tip I have ever received is to RELAX, don't worry about time or distance right now, that will come. I know it sound silly, but relaxing while running will improve your breathing, a natural rythymn will develop. An example of this is when I run in formation with my unit, it is much harder for me, because the unit rythymn is not my natural rythymn. Also, the stride is too short and hard on my hips. Check out: [url="http://runningbarefoot.org/"]http://runningbarefoot.org/[/url] for more on what I'm getting at. I actually do most of my workouts barefoot (when it isn't bloody cold out) and it feels phenominal. Regarding music: I don't do it while running because it reduces my sensory input and my situational awareness. If I am focusing my mind on the music I am not paying attention to subtle differences in my stride, breathing, and surroundings. Now, when lifting weights, etc. the louder and heavier the better! Running offers you an opportunity to get to know yourself better, spiritually, psychologically, and physically. Welcome and enjoy! Red
Anastasia13 Posted March 19, 2008 Posted March 19, 2008 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1475265' date='Mar 10 2008, 07:25 PM']having the police chase you helps a lot[/quote] hot stuff, I love you.
Paladin D Posted March 19, 2008 Posted March 19, 2008 [quote name='Red Knight' post='1479457' date='Mar 18 2008, 07:31 PM']The greatest tip I have ever received is to RELAX, don't worry about time or distance right now, that will come. I know it sound silly, but relaxing while running will improve your breathing, a natural rythymn will develop.[/quote] Like Red said, [b]RELAX[/b]. The other tips that were posted are great, I listen to music sometimes myself; however, the best thing to do is [b]not to worry yourself up[/b] before you even start, or even when you already started. Do your best to think on the present, and not dwell on the 'goal'. The more you try this, you'll be passing your goal quicker as time goes on. I know when I started running to get ready to enlist in the Army (still in the process, long story), it was very hard for me at first. The more I ran, the more I developed the stamnia and enthusiasm to take it to the next step. I guess what helps a little is being a waiter at Applebee's, since I'm [b]always[/b] on my feet and pacing around the restaurant up to 12 hours a day. Not to mention if I can't get a ride after work (since I don't own my own car), I have to run around town even in inclement weather.
missionarybelle Posted March 20, 2008 Posted March 20, 2008 does anyone know anything about running and exercise induced asthma? because i have it really bad and i've been told that i can help it a little if i gain better lung capacity/endurance/get in better shape. but it's really hard because when i start to exercise, i often start wheezing. even with my inhaler.
picchick Posted March 20, 2008 Author Posted March 20, 2008 DO NOT RUN with exercise induced asthma. What is better is swimming. My pediatric book said this specifically. So I have the reference. I am not becoming more relaxed when running. I can't run barefoot because I need arch supports. Relaxing really helps though as you have said.
XIX Posted March 20, 2008 Posted March 20, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1476468' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:54 PM']Today was BAAADDD.....I don't know what was wrong with me. I think I did ok though. I kinda lost track of much I ran. I think let's see... between 7-9 blocks. I mos def need to work on my breathing. I still am rolling my feet rather than running on my toes. I need to drink more water during the day. Usually I do ok but today I was skimpy. For the air force I need to run 1.5 miles. Meg[/quote] It happens. Everybody had off days. e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y.
picchick Posted March 24, 2008 Author Posted March 24, 2008 Alright, just an update: My breathing is getting better. I made to do a mile straight!!! That is a huge accomplishment for someone who could barely do two blocks!! Then I did a mile and plus a little more....
Noel's angel Posted March 24, 2008 Posted March 24, 2008 Congrats! I admire your perseverance. I'd be too scared of running in case I looked silly.
Legend Chaser Posted March 24, 2008 Posted March 24, 2008 I ran track a few years ago. I was a short distance runner but to get in shape we had to run long distance every day. I'd find myself a good rhythm and say the rosary while I was running. You get extra prayers, extra grace, and extra muscle!
scardella Posted March 25, 2008 Posted March 25, 2008 Yeah, I'm trying myself to get back into shape. I went from a high of 5k jogging ok to barely a 1 mile jog afterwards. Now, I'm back comfortable jogging a mile again, which makes me happy. I want to get back up to 5k again.
picchick Posted March 25, 2008 Author Posted March 25, 2008 [quote name='Noel's angel' post='1483270' date='Mar 24 2008, 07:23 PM']Congrats! I admire your perseverance. I'd be too scared of running in case I looked silly.[/quote] But...if I close my eyes, no one will see me right? I really do have that fear. I hate going to the gym because I am paranoid that everyone is watching me and laughing...I force myself anyway. You know, people are probably watching me run from their windows AND laughing. I guess if I made their day then that's ok.... Meg
faithfulrock3r Posted March 25, 2008 Posted March 25, 2008 I don't know why anyone would laugh at a runner. The fact that you're out there, and they're not, should be enuf to shut them up. Personally, I always respect all of my fellow runners, no matter how fast or slow they may be going, and the same goes for all of the runners I know as well.
Legend Chaser Posted March 26, 2008 Posted March 26, 2008 The only time runners annoy me is when they run on the main streets, in the way of traffic, when there is a perfectly lovely sidewalk right there for their use. I am afraid I will hit one someday! But running is an awesome. I love running. It's such a mind-clearer and it feels great!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now