CatherineM Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 In college I found it easier to run when the football team was running on the track. Except for a few, they didn't really run that fast, so I could keep up, and the view was interesting. Good shoes, and music also help.
let_go_let_God Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 When I had to run for volleyball, I would pray as I ran. It made the distance seem shorter and the days I really got into the prayer, my teammates even said there was a difference in how I did. There's no better partner than Jesus at your side. God bless- LGLG
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 I never thought of that. Maybe I should put the rosary on the Ipod or the Chaplet.
MissScripture Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1475404' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:45 PM']Oh, I also did 15 minutes. It really felt great...I am really proud of myself for sticking with it and not dying. That would of been embarrassing![/quote] Eh, I ran cross country for two years and almost died a couple of times. Actually the worst was when I started gagging and crying, which made the gagging worse and some complete stranger had to walk me back to my camp... Tip: If you're running and need to walk, don't actually walk like you would normally. Keep in the running stance, because you use different muscles when you walk and run, and it's easier to speed up back up to running if you keep in the stance. So, while your pace may be that of walking (or mine was sometimes slower) it's easier to keep in running form. [quote name='Brigid' post='1475434' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:06 PM']you're off to a great start! I ran cross country last year and - trust me - I am NOT a distance runner. it takes SO much effort, and a really strong will. I really admire people like you. [/quote] I am not a distance runner, either, but I was in CC for 2 years, too. It's rough when you're not built for it! [quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1475452' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:21 PM']When I had to run for volleyball, I would pray as I ran. It made the distance seem shorter and the days I really got into the prayer, my teammates even said there was a difference in how I did. There's no better partner than Jesus at your side. God bless- LGLG[/quote] I would pray a lot, and I also sang church songs, because for some reason, as I ran, those were the songs I remembered the easiest, without having an annoying little piece repeating in your head. I don't know if the praying made a difference in my running, though. Other than, I suppose, getting me to keep running. [quote name='picchick' post='1475465' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:32 PM']I never thought of that. Maybe I should put the rosary on the Ipod or the Chaplet.[/quote] I was going to do that, because I tried running with a rosary once, but it didn't work out so well. I still need to find one to put on, though.
Archaeology cat Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I generally don't believe in running when not necessary. Might have something to do with having a screw in my leg, just below me patella.
prose Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 I hate running. I would rather pull my own teeth out with pliers. I stick to my elliptical.
fides quarens intellectum Posted March 11, 2008 Posted March 11, 2008 When you run, point your toes out so that the balls of your feet hit the ground first, instead of your heels. This is harder on your calves at first, but it's easier on your joints and will get rid of the "pounding" you don't like.
picchick Posted March 11, 2008 Author Posted March 11, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1475491' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:59 PM']Tip: If you're running and need to walk, don't actually walk like you would normally. Keep in the running stance, because you use different muscles when you walk and run, and it's easier to speed up back up to running if you keep in the stance. So, while your pace may be that of walking (or mine was sometimes slower) it's easier to keep in running form.[/quote] For some reason I can't walk "leisurely" I have to walk fast almost at my running speed. I want to keep my heart rate up.
XIX Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 If you are worried about pounding your legs: 1) Land on your toes, not your heels. Landing on your heels causes ten times as much shock to go through your body. To prove this, try jumping up and down while landing on your toes. Now jump up and down while landing flat-footed. Feel the difference? 2) Get running shoes. Not cross-trainers, running shoes. Saucony makes good running shoes, so does New Balance. They are designed to help you run faster and run a lot of miles without killing your joints. 3) Stay off of hard surfaces. Try not to run on the road if you can. Run on the track, on grass, anywhere soft, wherever possible. 4) Keep your feet parallel to each other. Try not to Let your feet point outwards. Parallel feet are easier on your joints and they help you use energy efficiently. Personally, I recommend not running with music, but that's just me. It's hard to get into any kind of rhythm when there is the beat of another song in your ears. I also find it more fun to just let my mind wander wherever. Good luck!
picchick Posted March 12, 2008 Author Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1476024' date='Mar 12 2008, 12:11 AM']If you are worried about pounding your legs: 1) Land on your toes, not your heels. Landing on your heels causes ten times as much shock to go through your body. To prove this, try jumping up and down while landing on your toes. Now jump up and down while landing flat-footed. Feel the difference?[/quote] I do feel the difference. I thought though that you are suppose to run heel toe. Like rolling your feet. [quote]3) Stay off of hard surfaces. Try not to run on the road if you can. Run on the track, on grass, anywhere soft, wherever possible.[/quote] The track was lovely!!!! [quote]Personally, I recommend not running with music, but that's just me. It's hard to get into any kind of rhythm when there is the beat of another song in your ears. I also find it more fun to just let my mind wander wherever.[/quote] When I am running outside, I think that it is safer for me to hear what is going on around me (cars, people). Plus I like the sound of nature. Mind you I only did that once. Inside I listen to music that has pretty much the same beat throughout. Dance hits by Cascada for example. No matter what song they are all the same. Thanks for the luck...I'll need it! Meg
MissScripture Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1475830' date='Mar 11 2008, 04:57 PM']For some reason I can't walk "leisurely" I have to walk fast almost at my running speed. I want to keep my heart rate up.[/quote] Then why bother to walk at all?
BeenaBobba Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1475265' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:25 PM']having the police chase you helps a lot[/quote] LOL!
Justin86 Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 If you can only jog for 15 minutes you probably need to learn to control your breathing better. Try inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth. Also drink plenty of water. That will at least make you not hurt as much. As for music, I agree that it helps, but the military won't let you run with it when they test you. You also aren't supposed to run with it on base unless you're on the track for safety reasons. Really you just have to get used to it. If you are looking into going into the military as a nurse you shouldn't have to much of hard time training yourself for it. Being that he Marines borrow all of their medical personnel from the Navy you're looking at either joining the Army, Navy or Air Force none of whom have that hard running scores. Talk to a recruiter to devise a running plan for yourself. All military nurses are commissioned officers that need four year degrees. If you already have an associates in Nursing the Navy at least will actually pay for you to get your Bachelors (not sure about the other branches). Just a little FYI for you.
Justin86 Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1475265' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:25 AM']having the police chase you helps a lot[/quote] But if you're naked with no shoes it doesn't really help...
picchick Posted March 12, 2008 Author Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1476140' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:26 AM']If you can only jog for 15 minutes you probably need to learn to control your breathing better. Try inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth. Also drink plenty of water. That will at least make you not hurt as much.[/quote] I'll try that. I am going to try 20 minutes today. I have to build up my endurance. I know that I won't be able to do it right off the bat. I'll let you all know how it goes today. [quote]As for music, I agree that it helps, but the military won't let you run with it when they test you. You also aren't supposed to run with it on base unless you're on the track for safety reasons. Really you just have to get used to it.[/quote] I really don't listen to music when I run outside. I like to look around at everything and hear stuff. Also, I agree with the safety thing. I want to know what is going on around me...like cars and people, and dogs. I have a couple times where I hear a dog and freak out. I really don't want to do speed running from a dog that might be able to run faster than me. Maybe I should just drop to the ground and curl up in a ball or something. You know you have to plan this stuff out. [quote]If you are looking into going into the military as a nurse you shouldn't have to much of hard time training yourself for it. Being that he Marines borrow all of their medical personnel from the Navy you're looking at either joining the Army, Navy or Air Force none of whom have that hard running scores. Talk to a recruiter to devise a running plan for yourself. All military nurses are commissioned officers that need four year degrees. If you already have an associates in Nursing the Navy at least will actually pay for you to get your Bachelors (not sure about the other branches). Just a little FYI for you.[/quote] Yeah, I know that it will be easer as an officer for the running part but you never got serious about running then you kinda have to start somewhere so you don't embarrass yourself. At least that's how I feel. I will finally be done (IN MAY!!!!!) with my Bachelors so I got that covered. I have been talking to several recruiters so I am all ready for the application process. I just need to sit down and have an appointment with her. Thanks so much for the info. I'll let you know how it goes today.
Justin86 Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1476148' date='Mar 13 2008, 01:08 AM']I really don't listen to music when I run outside. I like to look around at everything and hear stuff. Also, I agree with the safety thing. I want to know what is going on around me...like cars and people, and dogs. I have a couple times where I hear a dog and freak out. I really don't want to do speed running from a dog that might be able to run faster than me. Maybe I should just drop to the ground and curl up in a ball or something. You know you have to plan this stuff out.[/quote] That doesn't motivate you to run faster? When I was in Boot Camp we had a saying about running, it was "urination is the best motivation". We did that too. [quote]Yeah, I know that it will be easer as an officer for the running part[/quote] Er, officer and enlisted don't have different standards. Men and women do though.
picchick Posted March 12, 2008 Author Posted March 12, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1476154' date='Mar 12 2008, 11:15 AM']Er, officer and enlisted don't have different standards. Men and women do though.[/quote] Sorry, what I meant was in the officer basic training they have to train 3 days a week rather than every day. I guess I took it as it was a little easier. I don't think the distance will change. That's why I am starting now. Were you in the military?
goldbug16 Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 Yeah, fun someplace with a view. I found that it was very difficult to run when I was on the treadmill, but when you're running outside, it's so much easier. [quote name='CatherineM' post='1475450' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:19 PM']Good shoes, and music also help.[/quote] Yes! Listen to something that has a steady beat, and it's easier. [quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1475452' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:21 PM']When I had to run for volleyball, I would pray as I ran. It made the distance seem shorter and the days I really got into the prayer, my teammates even said there was a difference in how I did. There's no better partner than Jesus at your side. God bless- LGLG[/quote] That's also a great thing to do!
picchick Posted March 12, 2008 Author Posted March 12, 2008 I am afraid to try a treadmill. I will probably start out and then fall flat on my face. lol that would be me alright.
goldbug16 Posted March 12, 2008 Posted March 12, 2008 Haha. They're really not that hard, but they're boooooring.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now