An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

cmotherofpirl

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the lords sheep

I had to say no because I don't do it every day... I used to be very consistent with night prayer, but it depends on the week.

Laudem Gloriae

I have the 4 volumes of the Divine Office/Liturgy of the Hours and can pray all 7 when I'm off work but as a nurse I'm lucky, on work days, to get in 3-4. I had two 7 day visits with great PCCs and the Mother Abbess and Novice Mistress showed me how to pray the Hours. I'm not perfect at it but it gives me great peace, joy and a wonderful sense of unity and with the Church.

I also have a separate hard cover book called "Discalced Carmelite Proper Offices -A Supplement to the Divine Office" that has all The Proper of Saints and blesseds of the Carmelite order, besides other sections. It's great! It's wonderful to have a the full office for great feast days of Carmel like Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Teresa of the Andes and others saints/blesseds - I wasn't even aware of half the saints/blesseds are they aren't all in the regular Divine Office volumes (all the saints wouldn't fit!)

Anyone interested, in this OCD Proper Office book, I bought mine from this Carmelite book service site in the UK (they do take US orders and credit cards) at [url="http://www.carmelite.org.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecarmelite%2eorg%2euk%2facatalog%2findex%2ehtml&WD=office%20divine&SHOP=%20&PN=Online_Catalogue_CARMELITE_LITURG_47%2ehtml%23a283#a283"]http://www.carmelite.org.uk/cgi-bin/sh0000...tml%23a283#a283[/url]
and the price is 12.50 Euros (which is $19.74 for us in the USA. Here's a site for money conversion to other countries - [url="http://coinmill.com/EUR_USD.html"]http://coinmill.com/EUR_USD.html[/url] .

I have seen this very same book on ebay in auctions by people who buy these OCD books from this site and THEN sell them on ebay in auctions and they end up going for up to $75! My friend bought one before I told her about this site! She is mad I hadn't mentioned it before!

Guest ambrose

[quote name='EWIE' post='1486797' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:26 PM'][quote name='Lil Red' post='1486787' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:18 PM']

Would you eat an entire cake if offered.
I think one would prefer just a small piece at first.

Of course, I was presuming "beginner" judging from the posters message.[/quote][/quote]

hate to say this, but yes, I probably would eat the entire cake! haha :topsy:

LOTH-wise though, there's a very user-friendly version "Glenstal Book of Prayer" . It has Morning, Noon and Evening Prayers for each day of the week based on the Glenstal Benedictine Monk prayers. Clearly set out, there's no fussing around with ribbons or multiple books. Some might find it LOTH-'lite', I would argue that depends on the soul of one praying.
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Glenstal-Book-Prayer-Benedictine/dp/0814627676/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206756408&sr=8-1"]Here's the book on amazon[/url]. My own version is very coffee-stained and dog-eared, perhaps not such a bad sign for a prayer book!

Oh gosh, I just realized that I gave some misinformation in my earlier post. The Benedictine Prayer book (short form) DOES contain the Office of Vigils/Matins with the readings. Sorry, my mistake. It is available at Amazon and I believe several other places as well.

Mari Therese

I pray the the morning and evening prayer of the Office. I was extremely confused by the Office when I would pray it with some of the sisters that I visit. I asked God, that if he wanted me to learn how to pray it, then He would have to supply me with a brievary and someone to teach me. One weekend at a youth conference, one of the seminarians taught me the prayers and my friend bought me a brand new brievary. Twas kewl to say in the least:)

[quote name='EWIE' post='1486797' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:26 AM'][quote name='Lil Red' post='1486787' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:18 PM']
+J.M.J.+
get a st. joseph's guide at[/quote]

NO beginner should attempt the entire Office, St. Josephs guide or not.
Would you eat an entire cake if offered.
I think one would prefer just a small piece at first.

Of course, I was presuming "beginner" judging from the posters message.
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:) it is helpful though, even if you want to start by saying one of the hours. :idontknow: that's how i started as a beginner. they even have guides for the shorter christian prayer too. :) just trying to be of help.

it depends on the person, too. i'm a "all in at once" kinda person. :hehe:

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='ambrose' post='1487267' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:11 PM']hate to say this, but yes, I probably would eat the entire cake! haha :topsy:

LOTH-wise though, there's a very user-friendly version "Glenstal Book of Prayer" . It has Morning, Noon and Evening Prayers for each day of the week based on the Glenstal Benedictine Monk prayers. Clearly set out, there's no fussing around with ribbons or multiple books. Some might find it LOTH-'lite', I would argue that depends on the soul of one praying.
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Glenstal-Book-Prayer-Benedictine/dp/0814627676/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206756408&sr=8-1"]Here's the book on amazon[/url]. My own version is very coffee-stained and dog-eared, perhaps not such a bad sign for a prayer book![/quote]oh, how neat! :) never heard of it.

[quote name='Mari Therese' post='1487302' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:07 PM']I pray the the morning and evening prayer of the Office. I was extremely confused by the Office when I would pray it with some of the sisters that I visit. I asked God, that if he wanted me to learn how to pray it, then He would have to supply me with a brievary and someone to teach me. One weekend at a youth conference, one of the seminarians taught me the prayers and my friend bought me a brand new brievary. Twas kewl to say in the least:)[/quote];) God's good, huh? :D

cmotherofpirl

I think after a couple of weeks anyone can pray the Offices easily, if you get stuck refer to Universailis. If you are discerning a vocation it is an excellent habit to start. It grounds you into the daily life of the Church, knowing that somewhere in the world, someone else is joining you uplifted in prayer.

My ribbons fell apart years ago so I use big religious book marks. I pasted my prayers cards on all the Office pages that I don't use since I kept dropping them all. I used the Saint section to mark anniversarys in so that people who have gone on get prayed for at least yearly.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 29 2008, 03:09 PM' post='1487932']
I think after a couple of weeks anyone can pray the Offices easily,

Perhaps we need to clarify if we are talking about praying the office in a group or privately and if we are referring to the one volume "Christian Prayer", or the full four volume Liturgy of the hours. It makes an immense difference, to know where to bow, for instance, when to linger in a silence, how to keep the rythmn of the chant, etc. etc. etc.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 29 2008, 03:51 PM' post='1487984']
Most phatmassers have busy lives and do it privately or in small groups.

Thank you for the clarification.
The second question was: are we talking about the one volume "Christian Prayer" or the full four volume Liturgy of the hours.?
Thank you.

Guest Kayla

I do now, as directed by my spiritual director. At one point I had stopped, and I was lightly admonished by him, with him saying, "You should always pray the LOTH when you can. It's the prayer of the Church. And there many, many people who want and would pray the Hours, but can't. If nothing else, pray it for them."

I pray Morning and Evening prayer; sometimes Night Prayer. It is what centers my prayer life. My s/d once told me that all prayer leads from the LOTH. It's good stuff.