Laudate_Dominum Posted March 7, 2004 Author Posted March 7, 2004 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Mar 6 2004, 03:55 PM'] no, never knew that....that is pretty cool God Bless [/quote] yeah, that's very cool.
Colleen Posted March 7, 2004 Posted March 7, 2004 I read about it in Joseph Pearce's book, [i]Literary Converts[/i], from Ignatius Press. It was really interesting. And actually i believe he wanted to become a Catholic in his youth but his father wouldn't let him. Don't quote me on that one, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. I'll have to read it again.
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 8, 2004 Author Posted March 8, 2004 [quote name='Colleen' date='Mar 7 2004, 11:22 AM'] I read about it in Joseph Pearce's book, [i]Literary Converts[/i], from Ignatius Press. It was really interesting. And actually i believe he wanted to become a Catholic in his youth but his father wouldn't let him. Don't quote me on that one, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. I'll have to read it again. [/quote] I've wanted to read that book for a while. Is it worth it would you say Colleen? Peace.
Colleen Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 7 2004, 06:28 PM'] I've wanted to read that book for a while. Is it worth it would you say Colleen? Peace. [/quote] it is REALLY worth it. there are so many excellent conversion stories in it: Chesterton, Robert Hugh Benson, Alec Guinness (yes, THAT Alec Guinness), Evelyn Waugh, Ronald Knox, and others. C.S. Lewis's story is there too. Though he didn't convert to Catholicism, his conversion to Christianity is very inspiring. His good friend, J.R.R. Tolkien had a hand in that. One of the reasons Tolkien thought that Lewis couldn't become a Catholic is because Lewis was a [i]Belfast Protestan Orangeman[/i], and he couldn't put that behind him. Have you ever seen [i]The Shadowlands[/i]? That's Lewis' story. As well as a little blurb on Wilde. I just went to check that story. [quote]A less likely convert can scarcely be imagined. Yet Wilde, the self-proclaimed arch-sinner and archetypal cynic, had an affection for Catholicism which stretched back to his childhood. Three weeks before his death he had told a [i]Daily Chronicle[/i] correspondent that "much of my moral obliquity is due to the fact that my father would not allow me to become a Catholic. The artistic side of the Church and the fragrances of its teaching would have cured me of my degeneracies. I intend to be received before long."[/quote] And he did convert upon his deathbed -- he was given conditional baptism and then he was absolved and annointed, and he died shortly afterward. Yeah, you really should read it. It's wonderful. I really like Joseph Pearce. I have his books on Chesterton and Tolkien, too. In [i]Literary Converts[/i], there are some accounts in there of famous converts who eventually fell away at the end of their lives, mostly due to misunderstanding or resentment of Vatican II, specifically Graham Greene. I thought that was really tragic. It's a must-read. Edited March 8, 2004 by Colleen
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 8, 2004 Author Posted March 8, 2004 Wow! Thanks Colleen, you've certainly interested me in this book. The Catholic bookstore near my house sells it so I'm in luck. I've never seen The Shadowlands although it sounds familiar. What is it exactly?
Theologian in Training Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 7 2004, 08:54 PM'] Wow! Thanks Colleen, you've certainly interested me in this book. The Catholic bookstore near my house sells it so I'm in luck. I've never seen The Shadowlands although it sounds familiar. What is it exactly? [/quote] I second that! [img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_131.gif[/img]
Theologian in Training Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 Oh wait, this is the thread to talk about Irish things [img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_9_2.gif[/img]
Colleen Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 7 2004, 08:54 PM'] Wow! Thanks Colleen, you've certainly interested me in this book. The Catholic bookstore near my house sells it so I'm in luck. I've never seen The Shadowlands although it sounds familiar. What is it exactly? [/quote] [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108101/"]Shadowlands[/url], while not the full story of C.S. Lewis' life, is the story of his friendship and eventually marriage to Joy Gresham. She becomes tragically ill and the suffering that Lewis endures as a result had a major impact on his life and his later writings. It's really good. Anthony Hopkins stars in it. [quote]Oh wait, this is the thread to talk about Irish things[/quote] isn't it funny how that happens? oh well....
Colleen Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 Okay, to get us back on track, i thought it would be fun to post a few irish jokes. as long as they're clean and not awful. You see, there were three Irishmen: Casey, Flanagan, and Murphy. All three were sentenced to die by firing squad. Now the three men didn't want to die, so they thought of a way to escape. Casey went first before the firing squad. The officer was saying, "At arms, aim --" and just then Casey yelled out, "HURRICANE!" and thinking there was a hurricane, the squad scattered and fled, and Casey got away. Flanagan was second before the firing squad. The officer was saying, "At arms, aim --" and just then Flanagan yelled out, "TORNADO!" and thinking there was a tornado, the squad again scattered and fled, and Flanagan got away. Finally, it was Murphy's turn. The officer was saying, "At arms, aim --" and Murphy yelled out, "FIRE!"
Ellenita Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 An old Irish wish: May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow, May the soft winds freshen your spirit, May the sunshine brighten your heart, May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you, And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love.
Theologian in Training Posted March 8, 2004 Posted March 8, 2004 [quote name='Colleen' date='Mar 7 2004, 09:49 PM'] [url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108101/"]Shadowlands[/url], while not the full story of C.S. Lewis' life, is the story of his friendship and eventually marriage to Joy Gresham. She becomes tragically ill and the suffering that Lewis endures as a result had a major impact on his life and his later writings. It's really good. Anthony Hopkins stars in it. isn't it funny how that happens? oh well.... [/quote] Colleen, I actually was not trying to get you back on track, since I realized that I had posted an interesting smiley face that wasn't Irish, I instead posted the Drunken Smiley Face/ Lepra...don't make me spell that word... Anyway, sorry about the confusion...continue as though I was never here God Bless
Colleen Posted March 9, 2004 Posted March 9, 2004 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='Mar 8 2004, 04:38 PM'] Colleen, I actually was not trying to get you back on track, since I realized that I had posted an interesting smiley face that wasn't Irish, I instead posted the Drunken Smiley Face/ Lepra...don't make me spell that word... Anyway, sorry about the confusion...continue as though I was never here God Bless [/quote] oh, no problem! don't worry about it. i just didn't want anyone to get annoyed because i started us off in a different direction. no problem.
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 9, 2004 Author Posted March 9, 2004 let's face it, this thread rocks! fyi, there is going to be a party here on the feast of St. Patrick.
Colleen Posted March 9, 2004 Posted March 9, 2004 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 9 2004, 04:34 AM'] let's face it, this thread rocks! fyi, there is going to be a party here on the feast of St. Patrick. [/quote] yes! that would be awesome.
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 10, 2004 Author Posted March 10, 2004 This isn't specifically Irish, but I just thought this picture says it all.
Colleen Posted March 11, 2004 Posted March 11, 2004 ^ it does say it all. and thanks for keeping this thread alive. at least till next wednesday (the feast of St. Patrick)!
Laudate_Dominum Posted March 11, 2004 Author Posted March 11, 2004 [quote name='Colleen' date='Mar 10 2004, 06:31 PM'] ^ it does say it all. and thanks for keeping this thread alive. at least till next wednesday (the feast of St. Patrick)! [/quote] I'm hoping this thread will last until the Second Coming of Christ actually.
Colleen Posted March 11, 2004 Posted March 11, 2004 Ever heard of Our Lady of Knock? It was an Apparition of Mary in the late 1800's in Ireland. [url="http://www.knock-shrine.ie/"]from the shrine's website:[/url] The Story of Knock began on the 21st August 1879 when Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable of Knock Parish Church. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people, young and old. From this miraculous occurrence Knock has grown to the status of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine. The personal pilgrimage of Pope John Paul II in 1979, commemorating the centenary of the apparition, inspired an even greater devotion to the Shrine and endorsed the indelible seal of Vatican approval. Mother Teresa of Calcutta visited the Shrine in June of 1993. One and a half million pilgrims visit the Shrine annually.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now