Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Thread For Talking About Irish Things


Recommended Posts

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I thought it might be cool to post beautiful pictures which would make us think on Ireland dearly.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

The Beara coast.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

The Glengesh Pass.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

sheep!

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 25 2004, 03:19 AM'] Has anyone read this book and would like to talk about it? God bless. [/quote]
I love this book.
It is required reading in my house :)

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 25 2004, 09:48 AM'] I love this book.
It is required reading in my house :) [/quote]
What's the story on it? I've been thinking about reading it for a while but I'm not sure what its all about.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

lovely

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

...

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

cool stairway

Laudate_Dominum
Posted (edited)

This is by far one of my favorite songs: (the translation isn't perfect cause the song is in kind of a funky dialect)

[b]Coinleach Glas an Fhomhair[/b]

I.
Ar chonnlaigh ghlais an Fhoghmhair
A stóirín gur dhearc mé uaim
Ba deas do chos i mbróig
'Sba ró-dheas do leagan siubhail.
Do ghruaidh ar dhath na rósaí
'Sdo chúirníní bhí fighte dlúith
Monuar gan sinn 'ár bpósadh
Nó'r bórd luinge 'triall 'un siubhail.
II.
Tá buachaillí na h-áite seo
A' gartha 'gus ag éirghe teann
Is lucht na gcochán árd
A' deánamh fáruis do mo chailín donn
Dá ngluaiseadh Rí na Spáinne
Thar sáile 's a shlóighte cruinn
Bhrúighfinn féar is fásach
'S bhéinn ar láimh le mo chailín donn.

III.
Ceannacht buaibh ar aontaigh'
Dá mbínn agus mo chailín donn
Gluais is tar a chéad-searc
Nó go dtéidh muid thar Ghaoth-Bearra 'nonn
Go sgartar ó n-a chéile
Bárr na gcraobh 's an eala ón tuinn
Ní sgarfar sin ó chéile
'S níl ach baois díbh á chur 'n mur gcionn.

IV.
Chuir mé leitir scríobhtha
Annsoir mo sweetheart agus casaoid ghéar
Chuir sí chugam arís í
Go rabh a croidhe istuigh i lár mo chléibh.
Cum na h-eala is míne
Ná'n síoda 's ná cluimh na n-éan
Nach trom an osna ghním-se
Nuair a smaoitighim ar a bheith 'sgaradh léi.

V.
'Sé chuala m/e Dé Domhnaigh
Mar chómhrádh 'gabháil eadar mhnáibh
Go rabh sí 'gabháil 'a pósadh
Ar óigfhear dá bhfuil san áit.
A stóirín glac mo chomhairle
'S a' foghmhar seo fan mar tá
'S cha leigim le 'bhfuil beo thú
A stór nó 's tú mo ghrádh.

[b]Translation[/b]

On the green stubble-fields of Autumn
I saw you, my sweetheart.
Nice were your feet in shoes
And wonderful your nimble gait.
Your hair the color of roses
And your ringlets tightly plaited
Alas that we're not married
Or on board ship sailing away

The boys around here are
Laughing and getting bold
And the people of the high straw?
Are making ?? of my brown girl
If the King of Spain would
Go abroad with his assembled men
I would flatten grass and rank grass
And I would be with my brown girl

Buying cows at the fair
If I were ? and my brown girl
Go and come first love
Until we go over to Gaoth-Bearra
Until we separate from each other
The tops of the branches and the swan
from the waves ?
That won't separate us
And it's only folly for you to put it ??

I wrote a letter
To my sweetheart and a sharp complaint
She sent it back to me
That her heart was inside me.
Compose the artsswannoble person ?
Finer than silk or bird feathers
Heavy is my sigh
When I think of being apart from her.

What I heard on Sunday
As conversation among the women
That she was going to be married
To a young man from the place.
Sweetheart take my advice
And this Autumn stay as you are
And don't tell anyone, my love,
That you are my love.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum
Posted

i haven't read that book, L_D, but going back to a conversation you and I and Theologian in Training had a few weeks ago....

I got the Ignatius Press Catalog today and lo and behold! There was a new book by Joseph Pearce on Oscar Wilde! It's so cool! I think I'm going to have to get it.

Anyway, back to Irishness:

[img]http://www.screensaverjapan.com/nature/biland/biland.jpg[/img]

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Yay! If you get the book let us know how it is. :)

Also, that's a great pic. Keep 'em coming if you feel like it.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

This is where I wish I lived.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Mar 25 2004, 08:19 PM'] What's the story on it? I've been thinking about reading it for a while but I'm not sure what its all about. [/quote]
Its about how the Irish saved civilization. :) While the barbarians overtook Europe, the Irish monks quitely copied all the ancient Greek books and kept scholarship alive in the monestaries and schools. Eventually the monks went off all over Europe and ignited education and learning: from Paris, Cologne, Milan, Vienna, Naples, Berne, all nothern England. It turn the English helped the Irish christianize Saxony, Bavaria and parts of Denmark. Charlesmagne, was tutored by Irish monks, one taught him astronomy, another geography, and still another statescraft.

I just wish the book were longer. :(

WCC_Catholic
Posted

L_D i thought i would share that i too love everythin Irish and i want to move there one day and teach or write my poems what ever there is nothing like the Irish Country side from what i have been told. i have loved Ireland so much that it has been a dream of mine to move there since i was about 5

Sarah Marie :shield: :banana:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='WCC_Catholic' date='Mar 26 2004, 08:59 AM'] L_D i thought i would share that i too love everythin Irish and i want to move there one day and teach or write my poems what ever there is nothing like the Irish Country side from what i have been told. i have loved Ireland so much that it has been a dream of mine to move there since i was about 5

Sarah Marie :shield: :banana: [/quote]
You certainly have good taste! :)

I hope and pray that you make it to Ireland. I wonder if I'll ever end up there.. *sigh*

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

cool cottage

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

the town of clifden

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[b]Sliabh Geal gCua Na Féile[/b]

O, a shliabh geal gCua na féile
Is fada uait i gcéin mé
Im' shuí cois cuain im'aonar
Go tréighlag faoi bhrón
An tuile bhuí ar thaobh díom
Idir mé 'gus tír mo chléibhe
Mar a shliabh geal gCua na féile
Nach géar é mo sceol

Dá mbidhinnse imeasce mo gaolta
I Sceithín ghlas na séimbhfear
Nuair a scaipeann teas na gréine ann
Ón spéir ghil gan small
Nó dá mbidhinn ansiud faoin réaltain
Nuair a thiteann drúcht ar fhéar ann
O, a shliabh geal gCua, nar dhéirc sin
Dá mb'fhéidir i d'fháil

Mo léan, ná fuaireas tógaint
Le léann is mórchuid eolais
I ngeadhealuinn uasal cheolmhar
Ba sheolta mo bhéal
Da threabhainn cuairt thar sáile
Is do bhearfainn bua thar barr chughat
Mar a shliabh geal gCua, ba bhréa liom
Thú ardach i réim

Mo ghrása thall na Déise
Idir bhanta, gleannta is shléibhte
O snamhas anall thar tréanmhuir
Táim treighlag gan bhrí
Ach ó ba thoil le Dia mé a ghlaoich as
Mo shlánsa siar go hEirinn
Agus slán le sliabh na féile
Le saor gheann óm' chroí

[b]Translation[/b]

Bright, bountiful mount
So far, far away
I sit by the sea
Weak, lonely and sad
The foam-tipped waves
Divide me from my love
Oh bright bountiful mount Cua
How wretched my tale

If I were there with my people
On the green-clad hills
Warmed by the heat of the sun
In a bright, cloudless sky
Or if I were there on a starry night
As dew falls on the grass
Oh radiant mount Cua
That would be wealth beyond compare

My sorrow, that I was not raised
With learning and skill
The noble strains of Gaelic
As jewels on my lips
I would travel far
And come back with prizes to you
My splendid mount Cua
I would sing praise to your name

The Déise is my love
Its plains, valleys and hills
Since I crossed the great ocean
I am lifeless and low
But God willed that I should leave
So I send my blessings home
And bid farewell to the bountiful mountain
With all my soul

WCC_Catholic
Posted

that was a beautiful poem

:shield: :banana:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...