An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism And Martial Arts

Nihil Obstat

Do you think there is a conflict between a practicing Catholic and the study of martial arts?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Well it's not as interesting if no one disagrees, but it makes everyone happier. :)
Yea, I wasn't talking Eastern philosophy because I just haven't seen that.
I suppose if it was apparent, then there'd be some conflict there... moreso in yoga, I suppose, but only in cases where the yoga is a form of religion. Not really so much the way we have these days, where yoga is practiced 100% as a form of exercise and relaxation.
Off topic though.
I love karate. :) I also love the confidence and personal growth that goes with it.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582140' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:15 PM']Ooh, wow, isn't that one the school that does a lot of hard free sparring?[/quote]

Well, we do happen to sparr quite a bit. But I haven't much to compare it to, seeing as this has been my first experience with Karate. During our first... erm... I forget the term, but it's where people test and the different dojos come together... anywho, it was my first time sparring and I went against a guy testing for his purple belt. Broke my foot. :/ Well, fractured, more like. And I couldn't tell my coach, because I wasn't technically supposed to be doing karate since I'm on scholarship for softball. That was bad-- playing softball with a broken foot.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1582401' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:13 PM']Well, we do happen to sparr quite a bit. But I haven't much to compare it to, seeing as this has been my first experience with Karate. During our first... erm... I forget the term, but it's where people test and the different dojos come together... anywho, it was my first time sparring and I went against a guy testing for his purple belt. Broke my foot. :/ Well, fractured, more like. And I couldn't tell my coach, because I wasn't technically supposed to be doing karate since I'm on scholarship for softball. That was bad-- playing softball with a broken foot.[/quote]
Ouch. :S
Well form what I've read, that style does a lot more sparring, and a lot more intense sparring than most styles of karate. A lot of styles will have only light to no contact most of the time. At most only medium contact.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582404' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:14 AM']Ouch. :S
Well form what I've read, that style does a lot more sparring, and a lot more intense sparring than most styles of karate. A lot of styles will have only light to no contact most of the time. At most only medium contact.[/quote]

Haha, okay, then definitely not how we spar then.

I mean, obviously we're not there to hurt anyone. But, yeah. We definitely go pretty hard. And no padding, besides the head-gear.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1582569' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:11 AM']Haha, okay, then definitely not how we spar then.

I mean, obviously we're not there to hurt anyone. But, yeah. We definitely go pretty hard. And no padding, besides the head-gear.[/quote]
More than I do then. :) I do light contact. We don't wear head protection because the atmosphere just... doesn't require that.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582571' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:13 AM']More than I do then. :) I do light contact. We don't wear head protection because the atmosphere just... doesn't require that.[/quote]

I probably would've been saved from an injury if that were the case for us, but oh well. I kind of enjoy the stimulation. But, then again, I'm not very experienced and it was my first time sparring.

I like it though. Maybe it's just the inner-city girl talking, though.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1582575' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:20 AM']I probably would've been saved from an injury if that were the case for us, but oh well. I kind of enjoy the stimulation. But, then again, I'm not very experienced and it was my first time sparring.

I like it though. Maybe it's just the inner-city girl talking, though.[/quote]
It definitely can be helpful. :) I would imagine that it's a faster way to get 'street smart' than exclusively light sparring, although I'd also argue that with a longer amount of time, one can get just as 'street smart' with light sparring.
Same would go for kata in a sparring oriented dojo versus one that isn't. Just vice versa.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582582' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:28 AM']It definitely can be helpful. :) I would imagine that it's a faster way to get 'street smart' than exclusively light sparring, although I'd also argue that with a longer amount of time, one can get just as 'street smart' with light sparring.
Same would go for kata in a sparring oriented dojo versus one that isn't. Just vice versa.[/quote]

My parents grew up inner-city, and I spent a few childhood years inner-city as well, before we moved to a nicer place. But the whole "protect me and my family" flows pretty deep. I doubt I'll ever need to "use" this type of defense, though.

I just enjoy the stimulation and the heat of the moment, I think. I'm a huge sports person, so the "high" is exhilirating for me.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1582584' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:32 AM']My parents grew up inner-city, and I spent a few childhood years inner-city as well, before we moved to a nicer place. But the whole "protect me and my family" flows pretty deep. I doubt I'll ever need to "use" this type of defense, though.

I just enjoy the stimulation and the heat of the moment, I think. I'm a huge sports person, so the "high" is exhilirating for me.[/quote]
I guess if all you want is the self defence/fighting thing, you'd get into Krav Maga or something crazy like that...
Although I wouldn't mind trying Krav Maga someday. I've heard they really take it seriously, and I'd be interested to see what it's like, and what they learn.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1582586' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:35 AM']I guess if all you want is the self defence/fighting thing, you'd get into Krav Maga or something crazy like that...
Although I wouldn't mind trying Krav Maga someday. I've heard they really take it seriously, and I'd be interested to see what it's like, and what they learn.[/quote]

Hm, haven't really heard of that.

I don't know though, I think that when things become [i]too[/i] fighting centred-- that becomes a problem.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1582591' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:44 AM']Hm, haven't really heard of that.

I don't know though, I think that when things become [i]too[/i] fighting centred-- that becomes a problem.[/quote]
Krav Maga was purely combat oriented. I think it was developed for the Israeli military.
Id say even if something was purely fighting oriented, yea, there are problems, but there are also legitimate reasons to look into it. Just because you know doesn't mean you use it. Krav Maga in particular focusses on "Worse case scenario" which is the only reason I'd be interested.

Farsight one

(Having not read most of the rest of the topic)

Martial arts originated as exactly that - art. I'm serious. It was not a method of fighting in the beginning. Some people quickly saw the practical use for it in self defense and applied it there. Then some people started using it improperly - to attack people.

So, IMO, martial arts does not conflict with Catholicism at all. Abuse of it may create conflict, but abuse of the bible would too.

Galloglasses

I do believe there is some conflict. There is NO argueing that alot of martial arts were not developed as Buddhist Meditation methods. These are the ones I argue a Catholic should avoid. However, some martial arts were developed purely for combative purposes, as a form of self defence or as a form of hand-to-hand combat when things got difficult. These are the ones I have little problem with as it counts as much as a weapon as a gun or a sword does.

Also, for the record, Martial arts is incredibly overrated. For example, a highly trained samurai, no matter HOW good he is with a katana, can be bested 14/15 times by a Scottish Peasent with a Claymore. Western society is so fixated on the East and its customs they've let their own ancient cultural treasures rot and collapse. Almost the only western Sword style anyone knows is Fencing.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1582709' date='Jun 25 2008, 08:47 AM']Almost the only western Sword style anyone knows is Fencing.[/quote]

hehe... and unless you are caring a foil or epee around with you, fencing is not much use in a back alley.

I'm just kidding around. Fencing is actually pretty popular (relatively speaking) among homeschoolers.