An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical Changes Hit My Parish!

Sinner

How about..

Rubric Police

or even better

"Red" Heads People who have thier heads around the rubrics (which of course are red lettered)

If all was right in the world you'ld be called Liturgy Committe

:roll:

aByzantineCatholic

Sinner,

even the teens around the altar got on their knees for the Eucharistic Prayer

Perhaps you should know that NO ONE is allowed "around the altar!" The Mass you went to was ILLICILIT and ILLEGAL! I would refer you to the GIRM for more understanding.

Oh, when will the "Spirit of Vatican II" ever leave us! :sadder:

If you want to watch a LEGAL mass then turn on EWTN.

Edited by aByzantineCatholic

Wull Paladin, for some Parishes there may be no changes.... kinda depends on how liturgically liberal, wacky or sloppy your parish is. If your norm is liturgical dance... then you would notice some BIG changes! For us it really meant kneeling when saying "we are not worthy to receive You", Life Teens kneeling at altar during Eucharistic Prayer, everyone bowing when saying the part in the Creed about "born of the Virgin Mary, and became man" and everyone remaining standing until the Body of Christ is safely in the Tabernacle.... also bowing to the Body of Christ before receiving Communion. Just more reverent in general. THANK GOD!

*see the GIRM 2003 in the Reading Room if you are interested.

Oh ok, thanks. :cool:

aByzantineCatholic

Stop the Abuse!

From EWTN,

Lifeteen

Question from Anon on 03-15-2003:

Hi! I read Mark's post from 3/11. Our parish attempted to implement the Lifeteen program. Many of us youth, as well as a few adults had an issue with gathering around the altar. The pastor was fine with it, as was the youth minister and the core team. At our meetings to discuss why we didn't agree with the gathering at the altar we were told that "we should appreciate the opportunity" and "it is going to happen at WYD in Rome-so obviously the Pope agrees with it" (which it never happened). We used Notitiae 17 to prove that standing around the altar (nor gathering and kneeling) were allowed. Until we could quote exactly where it said it, we were ignored. As soon as we showed them the document they believed us and discontinued the practice (and the Lifeteen Mass).

Answer by Fr. Robert J. Levis on 03-16-2003: 

Congratulations!!!! See what persistence does? Wonderful. Fr. Bo b Levis 

EWTN on Lifeteen Masses!

Standup and fight for what is right! It will make you a better Catholic and a better person. Most import -> GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR IT!!!!!!!! :D

God Bless!

First off let me say…. I AM NOT FOND OF THE LIFE TEEN MASS OR ANY LITURGICAL ABUSE!!!!!!! ..But that does not mean I will walk away from my Parish. I remain in my pew and work on obedience, humility……. I wince, I pray, I wince, I pray. I could have walked away a long time ago…. But I have stayed and prayed for my Parish and our Priests and will continue to do so unless our Mass becomes invalid. So far God has answered my prayers and our Mass continues to become more beautiful with fewer abuses….. and for this I am truly thankful to God!!

I APOLIGIZE FOR MY LENGTH…… BUT TO REBUT A FEW ISSUES……..

I SAID... “even the teens around the altar got on their knees for the Eucharistic Prayer (still not fond of the sharing the altar thingy).”

So I already know the GIRM states no one but the Priest should be up there. That is why I said I am “not fond of the sharing the altar thingy”

Thomas Michael

Regarding “Liturgical Nazi” ….Well I didn’t coin the phrase….. but when I use it, folks know exactly what I mean; as evidenced by the replies above. I will concede it has a certain shock value, and might not be the most PC way of expressing myself.

CMOM & PedroX

Sorry, I should have written the Priest remained standing (the rest of us were all on our knees). Hehehe

AByzantineCatholic

You write….”Perhaps you should know that NO ONE is allowed "around the altar!" The Mass you went to was ILLICILIT and ILLEGAL! I would refer you to the GIRM for more understanding.”

To that I say…… I am not sure about the Byzantine Rite, but I will make the arguments below regarding the Latin Rite. Illicit….perhaps. ILLEGAL….I don’t think so. If I thought it was I would have to find a new Mass to attend (not that I am particularly fond of the Life Teen Mass as noted above).

Levels of Abuse - Invalid and Illicit

The most serious type of abuse makes the Mass "invalid." For a Mass to be invalid, the Consecration of the Eucharist does not occur. The lesser abuse is called "illicit." These type of abuses are less serious and do not cause the failure of the Consecration of the Eucharist. There are a wide variety of these types of abuses which detract from the holiness and reverence in the Mass. However, an illicit Mass can still be a valid (as opposed to invalid) Mass.

Serious Abuses - Those which Invalidate the Mass

The Church has very specifically defined what must - and must not - occur so that transubstantiation will result. There are four conditions required for a valid Consecration resulting in the miracle of transubstantiation. All of these conditions must be present for a valid Consecration. This is dogma.

Condition One - Validly Ordained Male Priest

Only a validly ordained male priest can confect the Eucharistic

Condition Two - Intent of the Priest

The priest must have the intent of doing what the Church does, that being the intent to make Jesus physically present via the miracle of transubstantiation at the consecration.

Condition Three - Matter

Note that this article deals with only the Western Latin Rite Church. There are different rules for Eastern Rite Catholic Churches, such as Byzantine Catholic. For the Western Latin Rite Catholic Church, valid matter consists of wheat unleavened bread and grape wine.

Condition Four - Form

Christ took the bread and the cup and gave thanks; he broke the bread and gave it to his disciples, saying: "Take and eat, this is my body." Giving the cup, he said: "Take and drink, this is the cup of my blood. Do this in memory of me." The key phrases which confect the Eucharist are "This is My Body" and "This is ... My Blood," which when said by a priest with the proper intention and matter (explained above), truly show the priest acts in the Person of Christ. Changing the words of the preparatory parts of the Eucharistic prayer is illicit and gravely sinful for the priest, but would not invalidate the Eucharist as long as "This is My Body" and "This is ... My Blood" are said.

Peace.

:rolling:

Joemal117

"Liturgical Committee"

:thatsfunny: :thatsfunny: :thatsfunny:

Edited by Sinner

aByzantineCatholic

Sinner,

I guess then you know better than the experts at EWTN. Forgive me for questing your authority.

BTW, you quoted "Invalid" reasons. Illicit means Illegal and that does not me Invalid. SSPX are Illicit Masses, LifeTeen Masses are Illicit. Anglican Masses are Illegal. Big difference!

We also had some changes at my parish. I really like them all, except for standing after Communion. I really liked kneeling b/c I felt really close to Jesus. I could close my eyes and bow my head. I know I could do it standing, but it jsut isn't the same.

I've never heard of a Life Teen Mass.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]Yeah, but people here are referring to THEMSELVES as "Liturgical Nazis". It just makes me a bit uncomfortable, even as a cradle Catholic of German ancestry. And the word has the potential to cause Phatmass to be blocked from some workplaces if "Nazi" is included in the corporate word filters.[/quote]

Actaully, I'll sort of second that. I'm not particularly offended, but I am an eigth Jewish and I know many people who are very sensative to the term's being used in such a way that it seems not to show how evil Nazism is. I mean, just using it for any fanatic kind of takes away the evil behind it.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]Anglican Masses are Illegal.[/quote]

No, "illicit" means "illegal". Anglican Masses are invalid.

As for Life Teen Masses, I'm not particularly fond of them, but their not necessarily illicit...I think it depends on how liberal they are. I was at one where there was no kneeling during the Consecration.

I also was at a parish for an Easter Mass and I'm pretty sure the Eucharist was from banana bread...

I hate liturgical liberality...and dogmatic liberality...and moral liberality...and scriptural liberality...okay, so I'm a conservative who stands completely in favor of the Magisterium and abides by the Catechism...

aByzantineCatholic

Raphael,

[quote]No, "illicit" means "illegal". Anglican Masses are invalid.[/quote]

I meant to say that! Sorry!

Typeo...

To be honest, if I can't find a Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom then I look for an indult Mass. If I can't find an indult Mass then I go to an Orthodox Church. Basically, I have given up on the Novus Ordo Mass. It makes me too sad to attend one. I guess if I was ever up in EWTN country I would not mine there Novus Ordo Mass.

I wonder if the authors of the Novus Ordo ever thought that many youth would prefer the Traditional Liturgy? Umm.... Never know... Oh well.

God Bless!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='cathgirl' date='Mar 4 2004, 11:19 PM'] We also had some changes at my parish. I really like them all, except for standing after Communion. I really liked kneeling b/c I felt really close to Jesus. I could close my eyes and bow my head. I know I could do it standing, but it jsut isn't the same.

I've never heard of a Life Teen Mass. [/quote]
What is this standing after communion bit?
You wouldn't happen to be in the Erie Diocese would you?

aByzantineCatholic

cmotherofpirl,

You said,
[quote]What is this standing after communion bit? [/quote]

What's with the whole Mass? The Bishop can't even it get the New Mass correct to begin with. For example, [url="http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/archives2/2004a/012304/012304e.php"]New Mass translation said to be 'elegant,' closer to the Latin [/url]. Why hasn't it been "closer" to the Latin to begin with? I think we all know that there are two forces at work inside the Church.

Force A: The liberal - LifeTeen Mass group

and

Force B: The faithful - EWTN group

As long as the devil is around he will keep trying to divide us. Meanwhile, I don't believe in experments so I stick with Tradition! :D

Can't go around with Tradition! :cool:

God Bless!