An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

princessgianna

yea that's usaully what happens.
wow that 's crazy. Once somebody fainted in at mass. The priest paused but by that time the ushers were taking care of the situation- so he just continued.

Edited by princessgianna

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1918282' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:01 AM']In America men generally consider exposure of a woman’s bosom provocative, and [b]I assert that men who are trying to live chastely find the such exposure inappropriate, not because they think the female body is evil, or because they have a sexual hang up, but because they find too much exposed flesh in that area, regardless of the context, sexually arousing. Period.[/b]
I have been a guy for my whole life and a priest for more than sixteen years. I know well enough how men think. Women can pooh-pooh this all they want, but there is really nothing more complicated, sub-conscious or deep and dark about it than plain old male libido.[/quote]

I don't disagree with the article on the point that we moms should strive for modesty and discretion while breastfeeding (because dudes are just dudes and flesh can make them lusty). I DO take issue with the notion that all breastfeeding in public, and at Mass in particular, is inappropriate. (Not that the article says that, of course) Tell that to my son when he starts crying for food. <_< I can breastfeed and not have a single centimeter of bare breast exposed but people are still going to tell me it's wrong or give me dirty looks, and that's just a load of bologna. If they can eat in public so can he.

I've been running loads of errands the past two days, tied my boy up in our baby carrier, and breastfed him all over town with no one the wiser. :lol: I do that during Mass, too.

Vasilius Konstantinos

The signs of a dead church is when you do not hear the sound of a child, either being fed by the breast or the sound of wailing, crying or fidgeting in a pew.

inunionwithrome

No problem with breastfeeding, just bring a blanket to nurse the baby. And maybe try to sit in the back. You know, wouldn't want a "wardrobe malfunction" Just don't flop it out and expect no one to loo, you know? Discretion is a necessity for breastfeeding mommies. The only one who should see their breasts are their babies and husbands!

missionarybelle

I read the first 4 pages then skipped to the end haha so sorry if any of this is redundant.

I disagree with breastfeeding in Mass. I don't dislike it as much as I dislike toddlers and children eating cheerios. But I do dislike it. I don't have a stigma against breasts but to me breastfeeding is a more private thing. I understand that moms can't just stay home all day with the babes, but I still am not a huge fan of the feeding being done in Mass.

If it must be done though, I think the lady should sit towards the back and definitely cover herself with a blanket type deal.

I think that children should be taught to behave in Mass but I'm not against parents bringing their babies to the back so they can settle them down while standing up (I find most babies prefer it when you stand).

I'm not against parents going to Mass separately when the babes are very young or when the parents are just having a particularly rough day and they have several small children/toddlers. I don't have a problem with parents going separately occasionally. Not regularly, just some times.

I don't like it when children are being very rambunctious and loud if the parents really aren't doing anything to settle the kid down and just laugh and think it's cute that the kid is talking super loud and making very loud comments through the whole Mass. If the parents TRY to settle the kid, who cares. But if they just ignore it, I find it rude.

And as to being opposed to breastfeeding in the ladies room solely because you wouldn't want to eat your lunch there, I disagree. Breastfeeding and eating a meal as an adult are two different things and you can breastfeed in many places that you wouldn't eat in. (ie the Mass, not that I agree with it but most people on here seem to not mind it)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='inunionwithrome' post='1921576' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:03 PM']No problem with breastfeeding, just bring a blanket to nurse the baby. And maybe try to sit in the back. You know, wouldn't want a "wardrobe malfunction" Just don't flop it out and expect no one to loo, you know? Discretion is a necessity for breastfeeding mommies. The only one who should see their breasts are their babies and husbands![/quote]
Unless of course you'd end up showing more skin by having a blanket because your child rips it off. ;) Like my son. I neither use a blanket nor do I sit in the back, but I assure you that absolutely no one sees a thing. I mean, he's a bit older now and doesn't usually breastfeed at Mass any more, but this goes for when I did/do breastfeed him at Mass.

[quote name='missionarybelle' post='1921594' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:31 PM']I disagree with breastfeeding in Mass. I don't dislike it as much as I dislike toddlers and children eating cheerios. But I do dislike it. I don't have a stigma against breasts but to me breastfeeding is a more private thing. I understand that moms can't just stay home all day with the babes, but I still am not a huge fan of the feeding being done in Mass.[/quote] I disagree with those that just expose their breasts to feed in public, but I don't see breastfeeding as [i]necessarily [/i]being a private thing. If I did feel it was, I wouldn't breastfeed anywhere in public, not just at Mass.

[quote name='missionarybelle' post='1921594' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:31 PM']And as to being opposed to breastfeeding in the ladies room solely because you wouldn't want to eat your lunch there, I disagree. Breastfeeding and eating a meal as an adult are two different things and you can breastfeed in many places that you wouldn't eat in. (ie the Mass, not that I agree with it but most people on here seem to not mind it)[/quote]
It's not just that I wouldn't eat in the toilet, it's that I really do not want to try to find a place to sit there (if I don't have my son in a carrier, which is all the time now since he's quite heavy now), and I don't want to worry about finding a sanitary place to put my bag or whatever I need to have with me. Not to mention that it isn't comfortable.

franciscanheart

none of this really matters. not really. if you have such an issue with it, talk to your confessor/spiritual director/priest. this really has become a thread for people to flaunt their opinions and make them out to be some kind of spiritual truth.

the fact of the matter is that some mothers are going to feed their children in mass. not everyone will do it the way you like. then again, not everyone will pray the way you like, kneel the way you like, fold their hands the way you like, dress the way you like, sing the way you like, or even receive communion the way you like.

this seems like a pointless discussion. we all KNOW how it's going to end. it's going to end with mothers (many of them currently breastfeeding) upset at the lack of compassion and empathy they receive from their fellow Catholics. the others will turn their noses in the air and walk away, at least for a time, thinking that mothers who choose to feed in mass are harming the integrity of the mass in some way.

it's all just so silly.

let it go. if you really think it's such a huge deal, talk to someone who actually has the power to do something about it. telling a bunch of moms that they're disrespecting the mass and the people in it by feeding their children while fulfilling their obligation is not going to get you anywhere in the discussion.

and moms telling others that they wouldn't understand or don't have a right to an opinion simply because they do not have children is not going to change their minds. when they have children they may or may not have more sympathy for those trying to juggle all of these situations. they are who they are, doing what they do.

again, i really do not believe this conversation is doing anything to promote charity or fellowship.

don't you all have anything better to do? go find some protestants.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1921612' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:12 PM']none of this really matters. not really. if you have such an issue with it, talk to your confessor/spiritual director/priest. this really has become a thread for people to flaunt their opinions and make them out to be some kind of spiritual truth.

the fact of the matter is that some mothers are going to feed their children in mass. not everyone will do it the way you like. then again, not everyone will pray the way you like, kneel the way you like, fold their hands the way you like, dress the way you like, sing the way you like, or even receive communion the way you like.

this seems like a pointless discussion. we all KNOW how it's going to end. it's going to end with mothers (many of them currently breastfeeding) upset at the lack of compassion and empathy they receive from their fellow Catholics. the others will turn their noses in the air and walk away, at least for a time, thinking that mothers who choose to feed in mass are harming the integrity of the mass in some way.

it's all just so silly.

let it go. if you really think it's such a huge deal, talk to someone who actually has the power to do something about it. telling a bunch of moms that they're disrespecting the mass and the people in it by feeding their children while fulfilling their obligation is not going to get you anywhere in the discussion.

and moms telling others that they wouldn't understand or don't have a right to an opinion simply because they do not have children is not going to change their minds. when they have children they may or may not have more sympathy for those trying to juggle all of these situations. they are who they are, doing what they do.

again, i really do not believe this conversation is doing anything to promote charity or fellowship.

don't you all have anything better to do? go find some protestants.[/quote]
You're right. Right after I wrote my last response, my thought was "I've said all this before, we're just going in circles". I certainly respect those who have a different opinion on the matter than I do, and I'll leave it at that. :)

homeschoolmom

Fine. <_<

I won't mention to MissionaryBelle that there is only one type of seat in the ladies room and it wasn't designed for sitting while nursing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1921664' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:08 PM']Fine. <_<

I won't mention to MissionaryBelle that there is only one type of seat in the ladies room and it wasn't designed for sitting while nursing.[/quote]
I dunno ... I plan on nursing in the bathroom even at home. I think it will be a timesaver. :idontknow:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1921667' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:09 PM']I dunno ... I plan on nursing in the bathroom even at home. I think it will be a timesaver. :idontknow:[/quote]
:rolling: