An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1637396' date='Aug 25 2008, 03:56 AM']There used to be signs on the buses here that said "breastfeeding in public is not a crime!" Kinda made me laugh. But I'd totally put one of those buttons on my bag or something. :))[/quote]

I am such a nerd...I was trying to come up with a design....I have a pretty cool idea

Edited by picchick

Archaeology cat

[quote name='picchick' post='1637481' date='Aug 25 2008, 04:06 PM']I am such a nerd...I was trying to come up with a design....I have a pretty cool idea[/quote]
I would seriously put one on my bag! So let me see the idea if you do that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This thread's still going? If a baby's gotta eat, let 'im eat. I'd rather the little worm unobtrusively norf his dinner than decide to have a screaming fit.

• 2 weeks later...
HisChildForever

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1637433' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:23 AM']If I'm out in public, I just make sure I'm wearing a shirt that I can easily nurse Kieran in without revealing everything.[/quote]

Probably a button-up would be the best, right?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1668526' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:45 PM']Probably a button-up would be the best, right?[/quote]

Certain maternity shirts have a special double layer for breastfeeding.

HisChildForever

[quote name='StColette' post='1668537' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:03 PM']Certain maternity shirts have a special double layer for breastfeeding.[/quote]

Getting ready, eh? ;)

This thread reminds me of when my little brother was baptized in St. Patrick's Cathedral. After the washing away of original sin and incorporation into the Body of Christ my brother was pretty tired and hungry. My mom asked the priest if he knew where she could go to take care of him and Father directed her to a little niche where she could have some privacy. And that is the story of how my brother got baptized and breastfed at St. Pat's.

Edited by Maggie

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1668526' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:45 PM']Probably a button-up would be the best, right?[/quote]
Not really. Well, it depends. If I have Kieran in his carrier, a button-down shirt is best, or a nursing shirt, like what StColette was saying. If he isn't in his carrier, I either wear a nursing shirt, a loose shirt that hangs over him a bit, or can wear a camisole under a shirt. If I'm wearing a button-down shirt, I prefer to wear a camisole underneath in case Kieran pulls at the shirt. If it's cold enough where I have my wrap with me, I often have that around my shoulders, but not always over Kieran, so that he doesn't get too hot (which would lead him to pull off and pull the wrap off, leaving me exposed).

• 1 month later...
Galloglasses' Alt

Culturally speaking it really has to do with how aware others are that you're doing it. Don't kill me for this but I'd feel extremely uncomfortable if I knew a woman nearby me at Mass was breastfeeding her child, nothing morally wrong with it I suppose but it definately not sit right with me however you argue it.

Morally speaking? I don't think its that bad, however, it definately should not be done at certain sections of the Mass such as the Consecration. Best way to avoid it I think is make sure the child is fed before going to Mass, that way everybody's happy, (provided the child doesn't become hungry again in the middle of Mass)

Actually with me its definately a cultural thing, excuse my Culchie-ness, but I would be majorally uncomfortable with breastfeeding at any public place really, like on a bus or something, still wouldn't sit right with me even though at those occasions there is nothing morally wrong at all other then possible over exposure of the breast.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1716798' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:21 AM']Culturally speaking it really has to do with how aware others are that you're doing it. Don't kill me for this but I'd feel extremely uncomfortable if I knew a woman nearby me at Mass was breastfeeding her child, nothing morally wrong with it I suppose but it definately not sit right with me however you argue it.

Morally speaking? I don't think its that bad, however, it definately should not be done at certain sections of the Mass such as the Consecration. Best way to avoid it I think is make sure the child is fed before going to Mass, that way everybody's happy, (provided the child doesn't become hungry again in the middle of Mass)[/quote]
As has been said before, some children refuse to eat unless they are hungry (my son being one of these). So doesn't matter if I offer to feed him before Mass, if he isn't hungry, he won't do it. With really little ones, it isn't always possible to avoid feeding during certain times. Have I fed my son during the Consecration? Yes. Not very often, because he usually likes to watch the Consecration, but it has happened. It was either that or have a screaming child. It is very rare that others around me realise that he's eating & not just sleeping.

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1716798' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:21 AM']Actually with me its definately a cultural thing, excuse my Culchie-ness, but I would be majorally uncomfortable with breastfeeding at any public place really, like on a bus or something, still wouldn't sit right with me even though at those occasions there is nothing morally wrong at all other then possible over exposure of the breast.[/quote]
You might not like me, then. :topsy: I've fed Kieran on the bus, on the train, in a knitting shop, at a restaurant, in church, on the plane, in the airport, etc. And on none of those occasions did I expose myself. It can be done modestly, even without having a blanket handy. I'd much rather feed my child when he's hungry, wherever we may be, than have him get overly hungry & start screaming.

Breastfeeding is perfectly natural and part of the beauty of bringing new life into the world, therefore I think it's totally acceptable. -Katie

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1717844' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:23 PM']Breastfeeding is perfectly natural and part of the beauty of bringing new life into the world, therefore I think it's totally acceptable. -Katie[/quote]
Thank you. :)

Galloglasses' Alt

I am not argueing against it, but regardless of it I still don't see it as appropriate to feed a child at certain sections of the Mass, (the Consecration being especially the case, I just don't see it as appropriate, but its not sinful), other then that I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just don't see it acceptable from a cultural perspective, and I'd understand if thats hard to understand, Irish culture is still backlwards by most other people's standards, especially in the countryside.