An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1596120' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:06 PM']The WHO recommends a [b]minimum [/b]of 2 years for breastfeeding.

IMO, people shouldn't be distracted by my son bfing because they shouldn't be looking at me in Mass. I do what I can to be discreet and don't draw attention to myself or Kieran, but I shouldn't have to leave Mass. I actually think it would be more distracting for me to walk to the back. As it is, people only know if they watch me, because once he's latched on, it just looks like he's asleep in my arms.[/quote]

You know I was worried about some of our boys in the High School youth group at Steubie on the Bayou. There was a young mom in front of us who was bfing. The boys weren't bothered by it at all. I don't think most of them knew what was even going on rofl

On another topic, one of our malls here has several rooms throughout the mall that are designed for bfing moms or moms with little ones. Nice comfy chairs and they are very quiet rooms away from all the noises in the mall. I don't think moms should have to hide away when they breastfeed but it's nice to know that some places thought of them when they designed certain things.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1596120' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:06 PM']The WHO recommends a [b]minimum [/b]of 2 years for breastfeeding.

IMO, people shouldn't be distracted by my son bfing because they shouldn't be looking at me in Mass. I do what I can to be discreet and don't draw attention to myself or Kieran, but I shouldn't have to leave Mass. I actually think it would be more distracting for me to walk to the back. As it is, people only know if they watch me, because once he's latched on, it just looks like he's asleep in my arms.[/quote]

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1596128' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:13 PM']If some people are bothered by a natural human process that God designed especially for babies, maybe they should be the ones to go to the back of Mass.[/quote]

I dunno...I'm just speaking from personal experience. One time, when I was in high school, a woman sitting in front of me did some breast feeding right in front of me and I found it really difficult to pay attention once that image stuck in my head. There are those of us who struggle with lust and, though it is a beautiful and natural process, a breast is a breast. I don't think people who find it distracting should "go to the back of the Church" because of our struggles. That's pretty freakin' self-righteous and dismissive of you, Rizz. Surely you aren't thinking straight.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1596149' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:25 PM']You know I was worried about some of our boys in the High School youth group at Steubie on the Bayou. There was a young mom in front of us who was bfing. The boys weren't bothered by it at all. I don't think most of them knew what was even going on rofl

On another topic, one of our malls here has several rooms throughout the mall that are designed for bfing moms or moms with little ones. Nice comfy chairs and they are very quiet rooms away from all the noises in the mall. I don't think moms should have to hide away when they breastfeed but it's nice to know that some places thought of them when they designed certain things.[/quote]
It can be relaxing to be in a less crowded space, with a nice comfy chair. The main shopping centre here doesn't have an area like that, though, so the food court it is. At least one of the shops in the new shopping centre does, though, I think.

If your child is four years old, he can wait til he gets in the car. Please. Otherwise, no prob.

I sit third row and center and half the time (being Catholics) no one sits in front of me. I rarely even know if the church has people in it or what they are doing. Except for the ones who chatter in back of me and I am learning how to shut them out with prayer.

[quote name='kujo' post='1596151' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:27 PM']There are those of us who struggle with lust and, though it is a beautiful and natural process, a breast is a breast. I don't think people who find it distracting should "go to the back of the Church" because of our struggles.[/quote]

I agree. I don't think those who are bothered by it should go to the back of the Church. I helped a guy friend of mine with this problem. He had difficulty dealing with a mom breastfeeding in front of him at Mass or anywhere. I think sometimes the simple reminder that Our Lady also breastfed Christ. That helped to give him the reminder that it's a very holy and natural thing to do. That helped with his difficulty with it, and it might help others.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='kujo' post='1596151' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:27 PM']I don't think people who find it distracting should "go to the back of the Church" because of our struggles. That's pretty freakin' self-righteous and dismissive of you, Rizz. Surely you aren't thinking straight.[/quote]

How so? A lot of people here have said that breastfeeding women should go to the back of church. No one said they were tempted by breastfeeding mothers, so I certainly didn't mean to act condescending towards them. If I came off as self-righteous, I apologize, but I stick to what I said.

I think all men should have to have breast implants and then maybe they will get over this fascination with oversized sweat glands.

That was a joke.

[quote name='Deb' post='1596175' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:47 PM']I think all men should have to have breast implants and then maybe they will get over this fascination with oversized sweat glands.
That was a joke.[/quote]
I know some guys who would never leave their homes if they had this done ...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1596169' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:36 PM']I think sometimes the simple reminder that Our Lady also breastfed Christ. That helped to give him the reminder that it's a very holy and natural thing to do. That helped with his difficulty with it, and it might help others.[/quote]
I think that sounds like a very good way of handling it.

havok579257

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1596171' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:41 PM']How so? A lot of people here have said that breastfeeding women should go to the back of church. No one said they were tempted by breastfeeding mothers, so I certainly didn't mean to act condescending towards them. If I came off as self-righteous, I apologize, but I stick to what I said.[/quote]

i agree with what you originally said. if someone has such a problem with seeing a mom breastfeeding then they should go to the back of the church. what is so wrong about saying that. i mean its the same thing as people saying mothers who breast feed should go to the back of the church. why should someone be forced to move if you have the problem. if you have the problem, then you should move. simple as that.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1596180' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:55 PM']I think that sounds like a very good way of handling it.[/quote]

^_^ I love the paintings of Our Lady feeding the Christ child. It portrays motherhood so beautifully.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1596231' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:46 PM']^_^ I love the paintings of Our Lady feeding the Christ child. It portrays motherhood so beautifully.[/quote]
I know!

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='havok579257' post='1596219' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:41 PM']i agree with what you originally said. if someone has such a problem with seeing a mom breastfeeding then they should go to the back of the church. what is so wrong about saying that. i mean its the same thing as people saying mothers who breast feed should go to the back of the church. why should someone be forced to move if you have the problem. if you have the problem, then you should move. simple as that.[/quote]

That is EXACTLY my point. And they don't even have to go to the back, they could just move rows. Instead of throwing a hissy fit and demanding that the mother move, why not just humble up and do it themselves? :idontknow: