An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

homeschoolmom

Because it's so much easier for the mom with a hungry baby, probably some other kids, a diaper bag and purse to move quietly. :mellow:

Lisieux Flower

[quote name='Didymus' post='1596388' date='Jul 9 2008, 04:39 PM']I don't care what anyone says... I will be breastfeeding my children wherever I want.[/quote]
:thumbsup: I support you with that.

IrishSalesian

I do not intend to go through reading 6 pages of arguing. My opinion of the matter is this: Breastfeeding is one of the most natural expierences a mother and child can expierence. There is nothing wrong with it. If people have a problem with breastfeeding at Mass, then pay attention to the Mass and not to the mother feeding her infant child. I mean, the mother is giving the infant the milk that sustains the child, and allows the child to live. Just as the priest is giving us the bread of life, that is Jesus. So we are being nourished at Mass, so shouldn't the infant child?

Edited by IrishSalesian

[quote name='Didymus' post='1596388' date='Jul 9 2008, 05:39 PM']I don't care what anyone says... I will be breastfeeding my children wherever I want.[/quote]

[quote name='Lisieux Flower' post='1596408' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:13 PM']:thumbsup: I support you with that.[/quote]

you guys are weird

Winchester

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1595702' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:47 PM']Note: I'm not a parent, and won't be for a good five years. So my responses might be biased.[/quote]Well, that's quite a gestation period.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1596488' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:39 PM']Well, that's quite a gestation period.[/quote]

:hehe: Funny! You probably inferred this, but I mean I won't be in a position to marry maturely and responsibly for five years or so yet.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1596389' date='Jul 9 2008, 05:39 PM']Because it's so much easier for the mom with a hungry baby, probably some other kids, a diaper bag and purse to move quietly. :mellow:[/quote]

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I just got a great mental picture of a mom actually trying to do all that lol

homeschoolmom

[quote name='StColette' post='1596574' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:06 PM']ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I just got a great mental picture of a mom actually trying to do all that lol[/quote]
Wait a few years. :mellow:

[quote name='Didymus' post='1596388' date='Jul 9 2008, 05:39 PM']I don't care what anyone says... I will be breastfeeding my children wherever I want.[/quote]

:unsure:

that is really....weird.

:mellow:

friendofJPII

At a Church near me there is a wood carved statue of bare-breasted Madonna holding the baby Jesus. I think it is tastefully done. I know pictures Mary feeding Jesus were common in the early Church.

Edited by friendofJPII

Archaeology cat

Just to add something, but another way to breastfeed in public is to have baby in a sling or wrap. With many of those, there's extra material so you can cover up somewhat without completely covering up baby. I have a Kari-Me wrap, and if I had Kieran in a laying down position, there would be material beside his head, but not on top of him. Enough to cover me, though.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1596929' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:07 PM']At a Church near me there is a wood carved statue of bare-breasted Madonna holding the baby Jesus. I think it is tastefully done. I know pictures Mary feeding Jesus were common in the early Church.[/quote]
I bet that's a very cool statue. :)

There is a lot of me me me in this thread. Do some forget they are at mass, should you not be intent on celebrating mass and not staring down the pew at some lady feeding her kid. Priorities are priorities even if includes your concentration.But go on and make sure your doing everthing to make youself comfortable and not the world.

P.s. Dont most women usually use some sort of feeding blanket or "cover", i know my wife did.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='foundsheep' post='1598627' date='Jul 12 2008, 06:28 PM']P.s. Don't most women usually use some sort of feeding blanket or "cover", i know my wife did.[/quote]
Most do. I don't usually anymore (my son would just pull it off anyway, thus exposing me), but still keep everything private. :) I also have a nursing top, so it's really easy when I wear that.

I personally have nothing against it, though I, personally, would probably leave the sanctuary for a brief moment and feed the baby in the restroom, the kitchen, etc...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Selah' post='1598794' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:46 PM']I personally have nothing against it, though I, personally, would probably leave the sanctuary for a brief moment and feed the baby in the restroom, the kitchen, etc...[/quote]
But see... most kitchens don't have any seating... and the restroom only has one.