An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1717844' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:23 PM']Breastfeeding is perfectly natural and part of the beauty of bringing new life into the world, therefore I think it's totally acceptable. -Katie[/quote]

agreed.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1718601' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:21 AM']Thank you. :)[/quote]

You're very welcome. I grew up with relatives breastfeeding around me, so I never thought much of it other than "the baby is eating...how nice." I always had a hard time understanding why people were offended by it. -Katie

[quote name='picchick' post='1636985' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:23 PM']I will make a button to put on my purse....support public breastfeeding moms...cuz babies need to eat too!

:))[/quote]

Love it! -Katie

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1718704' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:48 PM']I am not argueing against it, but regardless of it I still don't see it as appropriate to feed a child at certain sections of the Mass, (the Consecration being especially the case, I just don't see it as appropriate, but its not sinful), other then that I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just don't see it acceptable from a cultural perspective, and I'd understand if thats hard to understand, Irish culture is still backlwards by most other people's standards, especially in the countryside.[/quote]

Do ya really think you could explain to a feeding baby that he has to take a 5 minute pause during lunch?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1720627' date='Dec 6 2008, 12:13 AM']Do ya really think you could explain to a feeding baby that he has to take a 5 minute pause during lunch?[/quote]

Haha!! -Katie

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1669117' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:52 AM']Not really. Well, it depends. If I have Kieran in his carrier, a button-down shirt is best, or a nursing shirt, like what StColette was saying. If he isn't in his carrier, I either wear a nursing shirt, a loose shirt that hangs over him a bit, or can wear a camisole under a shirt. If I'm wearing a button-down shirt, I prefer to wear a camisole underneath in case Kieran pulls at the shirt. If it's cold enough where I have my wrap with me, I often have that around my shoulders, but not always over Kieran, so that he doesn't get too hot (which would lead him to pull off and pull the wrap off, leaving me exposed).[/quote]

My favorite "breastfeeding gear" is a zip up hoodie over a t-shirt, or a shirt layered with a stretchy cami or undershirt underneath. Pull one shirt up a little, the other one down and everything stays completely covered, even my back and stomach. I never liked breastfeeding with button down shirts because it requires too much buttoning and un-bottoning (unless it's my husband's shirt lol) for it to be comfortable to quickly and discretely nurse.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1721880' date='Dec 7 2008, 11:44 PM']My favorite "breastfeeding gear" is a zip up hoodie over a t-shirt, or a shirt layered with a stretchy cami or undershirt underneath. Pull one shirt up a little, the other one down and everything stays completely covered, even my back and stomach. I never liked breastfeeding with button down shirts because it requires too much buttoning and un-bottoning (unless it's my husband's shirt lol) for it to be comfortable to quickly and discretely nurse.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm a fan of a camisole under another shirt. :)

• 1 month later...

+J.M.J.+
I guess it's okay with the Vatican:
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Papacy-and-Vatican/ss/events/wl/033002pope/im:/090111/ids_photos_wl/r2744040624.jpg"]http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Papacy-and-V...r2744040624.jpg[/url]

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1718704' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:48 AM']I am not argueing against it, but regardless of it I still don't see it as appropriate to feed a child at certain sections of the Mass, (the Consecration being especially the case, I just don't see it as appropriate, but its not sinful), other then that I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I just don't see it acceptable from a cultural perspective, and I'd understand if thats hard to understand, Irish culture is still backlwards by most other people's standards, especially in the countryside.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity sake, why don't you think it's acceptable during the Consecration?

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1755338' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:00 PM']+J.M.J.+
I guess it's okay with the Vatican:
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Papacy-and-Vatican/ss/events/wl/033002pope/im:/090111/ids_photos_wl/r2744040624.jpg"]http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Papacy-and-V...r2744040624.jpg[/url][/quote]

^_^ Having your baby baptized by Papa, how amazing would that be ^_^

On a side note lol did anyone have their little boys where a baptismal gown or did you opt for the little suit?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='StColette' post='1755350' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:08 PM']Just out of curiosity sake, why don't you think it's acceptable during the Consecration?

^_^ Having your baby baptized by Papa, how amazing would that be ^_^

On a side note lol did anyone have their little boys where a baptismal gown or did you opt for the little suit?[/quote]
I crocheted the baptismal gown, and added a small ribbon depending on if I had a boy or girl. I also made matching jacket, shoes and afghan.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1755370' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:17 PM']I crocheted the baptismal gown, and added a small ribbon depending on if I had a boy or girl. I also made matching jacket, shoes and afghan.[/quote]

Very cute ^_^

Aaron wore my dad's baptismal gown. Thank goodness for oxyclean. The gown had been sitting in a cedar chest for over 50yrs and had become a yellowy color. Soaked it in oxyclean for about an hour and it was bright white.

I've noticed that baptismal gowns aren't that popular for boys nowadays.

Galloglasses' Alt

[quote name='StColette' post='1755350' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:08 PM']Just out of curiosity sake, why don't you think it's acceptable during the Consecration?[/quote]
the same reason why I'm reluctant to scratch my skin during the consecration even if my nose is rediculously itchy. Nothing wrong with it, still does not sit right with me.

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1755576' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:03 PM']the same reason why I'm reluctant to scratch my skin during the consecration even if my nose is rediculously itchy. Nothing wrong with it, still does not sit right with me.[/quote]

I see.

I remember Easter Mass one year I was kneeling during the Consecration and felt something grab my foot. I had strappy sandals on so whatever it was had grabbed my actual foot, not just my shoe. I let out a kinda loud shriek. I turned around and looked behind me and I saw a tiny little head pop up from behind the pew behind me. rofl This little girl had been playing under the pew and had decided to grab hold of my foot. I tried very hard to compose myself for the rest of the Liturgy but found it quite difficult. ^_^

Galloglasses' Alt

[quote name='StColette' post='1755628' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:27 PM']I see.

I remember Easter Mass one year I was kneeling during the Consecration and felt something grab my foot. I had strappy sandals on so whatever it was had grabbed my actual foot, not just my shoe. I let out a kinda loud shriek. I turned around and looked behind me and I saw a tiny little head pop up from behind the pew behind me. rofl This little girl had been playing under the pew and had decided to grab hold of my foot. I tried very hard to compose myself for the rest of the Liturgy but found it quite difficult. ^_^[/quote]
Exceptional circumstances by the fault of a tiny little Mid-Mass-Mischeif-Maker.

Mary breastfed Jesus, and that has been portrayed in (pious) Christian art throughout history. From 2nd century [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Madonna_catacomb.jpg"]catacomb art[/url] to [url="http://www.aiwaz.net/hires.htm?image=uploads/gallery/lactation-of-saint-bernard-1296.jpg?length=51"]15th century Flemish art[/url], you will find depictions of Mary nursing Jesus. Just this past summer, the Vatican newspaper had an article on how we should not censor this type of art out of any false sense of modesty, since it was a beautiful portrayal of the humanity of Jesus.

Not that it is everyone's cup of tea.

Basically, I find nothing wrong with a mother nursing an infant during mass. But I also don't presume to tell other people how to raise their families, so if the mother would feel more comfortable keeping the child home from church during those early months when it demands to be fed every hour or so...that is okay, too. Not every mother is going to be comfortable breastfeeding in public. It is not a mom's fault if her child decides to become fussy right in the midst of the consecration, either, but obviously that is distracting. The decision of whether or not to bring babies to church, how often, and at what age is up to the family to decide. I would hope the other members of the church would welcome them (even if they do fuss at times), and that no one would be judgemental if they did decide to stay home one week (maybe if the baby starts teething or something).

As we recently got into in another thread, it is important to bring children to mass and instill in them the habit of attending church on Sunday (and how to behave there), as well as important to pray together as a family. But. The obligation to attend mass on Sunday or be guilty of a mortal sin does not apply to children younger than the age of reason (under 7) or to their caregivers....so the Church really does leave up to the discretion of the families at what age and how often to bring a child to mass. Most very young infants haven't even been baptized yet, though of course many mothers breastfeed for at least the first 5-6 months.