An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breastfeeding At Mass

Lil Red

Breastfeeding at Mass  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595483' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:58 PM']Agreed.
I'd like to point out that I have nothing against children at Mass. What I do have a problem with however are parents who insist on bringing children who don't yet understand how to behave during Mass.[/quote]
See the latter I definitely disagree with you about. I think the importance of getting someone to Mass is vastly more important than avoiding distractions for the people around you. Besides, the Mass for the whole congregation would be less without that one extra soul (One Body in Christ and all of that).

friendofJPII

There is a cultural element to this debate as well. I'm assuming the poll was directed towards those of us in the US and CA. In some countries breastfeeding (and thus exposing them) in public is less taboo.

But honestly, I don't understand how some ppl can take offense to BF anywhere, when so many women are immodestly dressed in public.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595483' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:58 PM']Agreed.
I'd like to point out that I have nothing against children at Mass. What I do have a problem with however are parents who insist on bringing children who don't yet understand how to behave during Mass.[/quote]

AGREED...children need to be taught how to behave in Mass as soon as they have the capabilities to understand and toddlers have that capability. They do not need food in Church.

Noel's angel

XIX,
So, if a child wanders up beside the priest during the consecration and runs around his feet screaming, that's okay too? I allow for a certain amount of noise from children, but some parents bring kids who just never shut up (because they haven't been told how to behave). It's not fair on others if a child is being consistently loud and distracting.
What if I sat beside you and started talking to you throughout Mass?

Edited by Noel's angel

Babies don't walk. :unsure:

I thought we were talking about babies. But children can be held if they are going to be that unruly. If they are 15 and they still misbehave that badly, then they have other issues.

Although on that note, I really wouldn't have a problem with a child wandering out towards the alter. I've seen it before in a small chapel. I thought it was adorable. The priest ad libbed it well enough. It would be a real stretch to say that it distracted me from prayer. Did it shift my focus momentarily? Sure. But my focus remained prayerful through the entire episode. It was an infinitesimal sacrifice on my part. I would have considered it more unfair to me if she had left the children home, because I would not have gotten to share the Mass with them.

If I let that distract me, that would have been completely my fault.

I'm sure there are a few extreme examples where the children should be left home, but misbehaving =/= being a distraction to others. I think a child who would run around the altar screaming would be an extreme example, as I cannot recall a time when that happened to me. Adults in the congregation should be able to deal with a few renegade toddlers without it throwing them out of their prayer rhythm. And for every person who's even tempted to be distracted by unruly children, there's another person who is reminded that children are a gift from God, thus making it easier for them to focus.

So I really don't mind a loud child at all. Making someone miss Mass completely so the rest of us can (maybe) have a *slightly* more fulfilling Mass is not a wise trade-off. Good luck getting the kid to behave if you let him weasel out of Mass for misbehaving. Most kids would consider it a reward to stay home.

And most kids need the graces anyways.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595502' date='Jul 8 2008, 09:15 PM']What if I sat beside you and started talking to you throughout Mass?[/quote]
I'd...move.

Problem solved. :mellow:

If you were a kid I'd probably sop up the whole experience and use the cuteness to go on some sort of emotional God high. :)

havok579257

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595502' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:15 PM']XIX,
So, if a child wanders up beside the priest during the consecration and runs around his feet screaming, that's okay too? I allow for a certain amount of noise from children, but some parents bring kids who just never shut up (because they haven't been told how to behave). It's not fair on others if a child is being consistently loud and distracting.
What if I sat beside you and started talking to you throughout Mass?[/quote]

Your using one extreme and trying to use it to justify your point. I mean it would be like using the extreme for someone who is against the death penalty and I said well, what if this person murdered 9/10 of the world's population, shouldn't we execute him?

How many kids have you seen run up and down the alter and scream at the top of their lungs and not one single person do anything to stop the kid? How about, how many kids have you seen run up on the alter and scream?

Who cares if other people are uncomfortable by it. Does anyone honestly think God is offended by a mother breastfeeding her child in church?

havok579257

[quote name='Kitty' post='1595573' date='Jul 8 2008, 09:15 PM']Who cares if other people are uncomfortable by it. Does anyone honestly think God is offended by a mother breastfeeding her child in church?[/quote]

I agree completly. Would God rather the child not go to church?

there isnt a "yes, if done INdiscreetly" option :lol:

what if it is with something like this?
[img]http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/hkh0040l.jpg[/img]

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1595433' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:32 PM']When the crying baby screams very loudly that you can not even hear the priest, then I find it to be a tremendous problem, especially when the parents wait a good five minutes before taking the child out :ohno:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
are you a parent? as a fairly new parent, i try to settle my babe down, not immediately make a mad dash for the gathering area (or what have you). parents need support, not dirty looks and condemnation. :ohno:

[quote name='picchick' post='1595440' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:36 PM']Breastfeed on the sly :detective:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:lol_pound: nice!

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595483' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:58 PM']Agreed.
+J.M.J.+
imo, the only way that children learn to behave in Mass is going every week (or daily), and learning what is appropriate and not appropriate. it's not the child's fault if the parents go too infrequently to Mass to learn. (which really bugs me!)

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1595494' date='Jul 8 2008, 06:09 PM']My beef lies with the poor parenting, not the children.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
totally agreed! :))

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1595616' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:58 PM']there isnt a "yes, if done INdiscreetly" option :lol:
what if it is with something like this?
[img]http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/hkh0040l.jpg[/img][/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:hehe: