Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Determines Someones Race?


Recommended Posts

Vincent Vega
Posted (edited)

[quote name='salterrae' post='1608571' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:26 PM']JM + JT
...[/quote]
Had to drag the FCAT into this, didn't you?
This is a Christian website! Why would you bring that filth here?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS
lilac_angel
Posted (edited)

[quote]Not quite race, but for instance, I consider myself culturally Southern. The way I speak, I things I eat, my general world view, etc. are pretty much Southern. I was born in Pittsburgh.[/quote]

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1607798' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:45 PM']Hahaha, I get that more than you'd think. If it's any consolation, I consider both Jacksonville and Pittsburgh my hometowns...plus, I just spent nearly three weeks in da Burgh. Does that gain me any redemption? :blush:[/quote]

I was born in Pittsburgh (though raised in a suburb) and was told once or twice that it sounded like I had a slight southern accent. I can't remember if my family was included in that statement, but it's quite possible. I guess I might have slipped into something that sounded it on occasion, due to the ol' Pittsburghese influence. Pittsburghese is... interesting. hehe. :) But since I was born on the outskirts, it wasn't so extreme of an influence on my talking. I had friends that lived closer to the burgh, though, and they talked pretty normal, too. I guess it all depends.

Edited by lilac_angel
cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1608726' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:50 PM']I was born in Pittsburgh (though raised in a suburb) and was told once or twice that it sounded like I had a slight southern accent. I can't remember if my family was included in that statement, but it's quite possible. I guess I might have slipped into something that sounded it on occasion, due to the ol' Pittsburghese influence. Pittsburghese is... interesting. hehe. :) But since I was born on the outskirts, it wasn't so extreme of an influence on my talking. I had friends that lived closer to the burgh, though, and they talked pretty normal, too. I guess it all depends.[/quote]
Pittsburghers talk normal, everybody ELSE has an accent. Yunz is the ones with the problem :)

cmotherofpirl
Posted

So skin tone, parents, language, culture, neighborhood/country/ continent whatdetermines what we call ourselves?

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1608833' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:53 PM']So skin tone, parents, language, culture, neighborhood/country/ continent whatdetermines what we call ourselves?[/quote]
I think we determine what we call ourselves, but those things determine what [i]other[/i] people call us. :P

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Era Might' post='1608859' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:06 AM']I think we determine what we call ourselves, but those things determine what [i]other[/i] people call us. :P[/quote]
So race is what you think you are?

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1608391' date='Jul 25 2008, 02:37 PM']Fascinating, this is the confusion that I am thinking of. What culture or cultural background would you say you are?[/quote]

Culturally I would say I am Polish Catholic. I mean my identity to a large extent hinges upon these two factors, interestingly enough the people of Poland took me in as their own so even though I am technically American, they consider me one of them. Hooray for me. :)

My Catholicness tends to distinguish me from my surroundings far more than my ethnicity or origin.

Autumn Dusk
Posted

I think race is whatever quality in skin and peronality that wins out.

My oldest brother is rather german and swiss, (staunch, standoffish, perfectionist) my second brother is native american and irish (wild, fiesty, and very loving towards the earth), my youngest brother is german and native american (quiet, earthy, thoughtful and strong). I'm native america, irish, and german (bull-headed, love of nature, and a bit wild).

My mom is all native american and her irishness will seep through a bit. She's quiet and sweet. My dad is...german and swiss...very much like my eldest brother...although he has a striek for trouble thats impishly irish.

But overall we're american catholic. We eat american foods, we celebrate american holidays and catholic holidays. We (even my dad) probably tend a bit more towards the native american beucase my grandmother teaches us.


This is a great convo I had with some hispanic girls:

Autumn: girls, I love hanging out with you b/c in college no one had curly hair like I do
Taneesha: (in a whisper) dat's cause they white
Autumn: (whispering) I'm white, too
Taneesha: nah, you too nice and happy to be just white

by which, i think, she ment the standoffish anglo-saxton purtian. I do have a tenatious streak of german which makes me not so big on the personal affection, but overall, I am loud and silly, just like the hispanics and fit in very well with them. So who knows.

Posted

NO see Autumn Dusk I disagree with you there. germans are very warm people, I am in Germany right now and I can tell you that I have had very good experiences they definatly do not deserve thier cold and standoffish reputation.

I would say that your "hispanic" friends like you not becuase you don't act "white" but because you don't act like a YUPPIE. See Yuppies transcend race and are linked more closely to class. I know white, black and cappucino cream Yuppies. they all seem miserable...

Autumn Dusk
Posted

I'm not saying they are completely standoffish...they are just very firm and directed. They are loving people, I know, but like my brother they can be very unappealing to outsiders. My brother calms a bit after he gets to know someone. But there is an external defence factor that seems common.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='salterrae' post='1608571' date='Jul 25 2008, 07:26 PM']JM + JT

I think when they ask this question on standardized tests, such as Florida's FCAT, they want to know what cultural upbringing you had, something which [i]might[/i] have an influence on how well/poor you do, not what color your skin is, which has no effect.[/quote]
So, what cultural upbringing is "Caucasian"?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1608828' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:51 PM']Pittsburghers talk normal, everybody ELSE has an accent. Yunz is the ones with the problem :)[/quote]

No way, it's you bygolly who talks funny dontchaknow...

Galloglasses
Posted (edited)

There are various things that determine one's Race. Not solely just culture nor just Skin colour. Skin colour is just one aspect of physical difference between races. Culture is often created when members of the same race band together in unity and the culture is created from the social interaction of these members of the same race over the centuries, so Culture is both a consequence of Race and the glue that keeps it identifiable and whole. For example, culturally I'm Irish, Racially, I'm Celtic. Mostly. With the possibility of some Scandavian and Norman blood somewhere in the family from centuries back that has either been washed over in the intermingling of Celt.

Everything affects your race, from the climate your race is mostly used to and is raised in for centuries. This can affect the facial features, height, and other minute physical attributes. For example, Slavs, overall, tend to have high cheekbones and hooded eyes, (Most, not all, and it always differs from Slav to Slav), sometimes the features may not be physical, maybe even lingual. For example, the climate may affect the race's vocal cords or other sensitive apparatus in their bodies. So that if say, a member of a different race was adopted as a baby by a group of other races, and grows to speak their language, it is a very fair bet that they will be able to speak and understand his adopted society's language perfectly, but his accent will always sound removed from the general accent of the society.

Skin colour more or less seperates groups of Races from other groups of Races. For example, White Skinned people are Different from Black Skinned people, yet within White Skinned people there are different Races. It is the same in Black Skinned people. For example, Rwanda. That is an example of racial hatred between Africans.

I persoanlly, love all this diversity, I despise multiculturalism though. (If you are confused by this, you can PM me to ask me how I reconcile both these veiws), I simply refuse to ignore these differences. For it is these differences that give us Identity, character, and something tangible with which to relate to others. Ignoring these differences will belittle the cultures associated with them, ignore the history, and treat 'what' a person is as unimportant, when 'what' a person is, is often instrumental with that person's Identity. Nowhere near as important as the 'Who' a person is, but important enough that ignoring the 'what' is, in actuality, belittling the person.

Hopefully this did not come off too derogatory, i'm terrible with my wording.

My two Cents.

Edited by Galloglasses
Posted (edited)

JM + JT

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1608703' date='Jul 25 2008, 09:41 PM']Had to drag the FCAT into this, didn't you?
This is a Christian website! Why would you bring that filth here?[/quote]
:lol_roll:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1609819' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:40 AM']So, what cultural upbringing is "Caucasian"?
No way, it's you bygolly who talks funny dontchaknow...[/quote]
Exactly. It's pretty stupid. :rolleyes:

Edited by salterrae
Posted

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1609815' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:24 AM']I'm not saying they are completely standoffish...they are just very firm and directed. They are loving people, I know, but like my brother they can be very unappealing to outsiders. My brother calms a bit after he gets to know someone. But there is an external defence factor that seems common.[/quote]

Understandable.

I am in Germany right now..... :unsure:
Germans are goofy. :getaclue:

Have you ever been to Karnival in Koln? Or on the Isle of Ibiza or Mallorca? It may change your opinion of Germans being standoffish, firm and directed. Besides how serious can you take people that voluntarily wear lederhosen? I mean come on......

The Kolsch (important note: there is no lederhosen in Koln) in particular are known for being very open, joking and goofy. Most of it is due to the fact that it was a heavy industry area, and also a very Catholic Area, lots of Blue-collar humor and attitude toward life.

After being in Europe a few years I woul have to say the French (south france excluded) ar much harder to approach, much more protective and defensive of their culture than Germans. This is also true of Czechs in Prague,...... not Moravians. I mean Pragers will not even look you in the eye and if you smile at them on the street they give you a scared look like they think you are crazy. Country Czechs are not like this though, they tend to be pretty Chill.

There are always exceptions though.

I mean I am from a small redneck town where gun deer hunting surpasses Christamas in popularity and I hold a Bachelors and a Master's degree in economics and politics, speak three languages and have lived and studied in several countries.... Not exactly what you would expect from a dairy farmer's daughter who is a member of the teamster's union huh? So much for redneck American Culture....

So I don't know.... I mean generalization is a dangerous thing on all levels. This is why race is a dangerous thing.... because you risk only seeing what you want to see in people and not what is actually there.



All of this is just based on observation though.

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

Call me silly (or strange or a nerd or whatever)....but I always thought your parents determined your race. LORF!!!



Personally, I think the whole race issue itself is rather stoopid. I challenge anyone to step forward with proof they are of a pure racial strain of any type. When presented with a choice, I usually check all of the boxes. Who knows, after all?

The ancestry I know of includes English (which could be germanic, frankish, or norse), Scot (which is just plain cool), French (which unfortunately includes coagulated milk eating surrender monkeys), and Puerto Rican (which could be indian [feathers, not dots], spanish, polynesian, or black). I also trace back to a certain Mesopotamian ark-builder somewhere waaaay back, and a nice couple with a fondness for apples who likely lived somewhere in the fertile crescent area.

Race? bah! Race will only stop being an issue when peeps stop making it an issue.

desertwoman
Posted

What about ethinic groups instead of race.

Galloglasses
Posted

Ethnic is essentially a more PC way of saying race. Cept Ethnicity is usually used in countries such as America where there is a range of different races, and the word 'Race' itself could set off a powder Keg.

However, I couldn't give two feths about Political Correctness so, well, yeah.

Posted

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1610747' date='Jul 28 2008, 03:41 PM']Ethnic is essentially a more PC way of saying race. Cept Ethnicity is usually used in countries such as America where there is a range of different races, and the word 'Race' itself could set off a powder Keg.[/quote]
In the United States, I don't think "ethnicity" and "race" are necessarily equivalent words. For example, someone might refer to "ethnic" parishes, which can be Polish, Italian, Irish, etc. However, when someone uses the word "race," they usually mean skin color and general physical attributes, and not necessarily culture. In the common American usage of the word "race," I would say that everyone is grouped into a short list of races: white, black, Hispanic, Asian, and perhaps Native American. It's not an exact definition of where you come from or what you look like, just a general categorization. If you are Asian, you may be from Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc. But you will be categorized into the general Asian "race" because you have the general characteristics of an Asian person. If you are white, you will be categorized as white, even though white people can be from different continents (North America, Europe, Australia).

"Ethnicity" refers more to culture than to general physical characteristics. Irish and Italian would be seen as different ethnicities, but not necessarily different races.

Autumn Dusk
Posted

see its hard to tell what I "look" like racially. I could be a northern native american, a fair-skinned hispanic, a not-pale irish girl. If you were to say who i look like most out of the pure races it'd be hispanic...but I'm not even one ion hispanic.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

So are you saying race is a color and ethnicity is a culture?
What about people who are multiple rolors and background?
Are we back to what ever you happen to identify yourself as?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...