An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Rosary

friendofJPII

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615161' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:44 PM']I've never taken any Marian Theology classes....but I still don't consider it as "just a prayer." I also don't see how any one can dismiss it as not important for our spirituality, nor do I understand it when individuals feel that it's equal to all the other devotions that are out there...

...but hey, that's just me! :topsy:[/quote]

And that's very wonderful for you, as it is very clear that this is a prayer that does so much for you spiritually. The way you feel about the Rosary, I feel about the LOTH. But we must recognize that just because we see such value in something and it is so beneficial for ourselves, does not mean it is the same for everyone else.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615161' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:44 PM']I've never taken any Marian Theology classes....but I still don't consider it as "just a prayer." I also don't see how any one can dismiss it as not important for our spirituality, nor do I understand it when individuals feel that it's equal to all the other devotions that are out there...

...but hey, that's just me! :topsy:[/quote]

I don't believe anyone here has dismissed it as not being important for one's spirituality but more that not all are called to pray the Rosary. All devotions are of importance in our spirituality, in more general terms prayer is important in our spirituality. We aren't dismissing it as something that isn't beneficial but merely that others find other devotions more beneficial and more in place with their own spirituality. It's kinda like men and women. They both pray different. The prayers of my husband are usually far different than my own, because we look at things around us in a completely different perspective. While Micah prayers that the baby and I remain safe and sound, I pray that I may have the strength to endure the rest of this pregnancy (which hasn't been a picnic lol) and that my labor will go smoothly. So what appeals to me may not appeal to my husband. When praying about the baby or my vocation as a wife my prayers would be that of a mother and I would most likely seek the intercession Mary, but Micah when praying about the baby or his vocation as a husband would most likely seek the intercession of St. Joseph.

As for it being equal to all other devotions, I would disagree mostly because the Church says that this isn't the case. I've mentioned it before in this thread but the Church holds that the Liturgy of the Hours (which though an extension of the Mass it is still a devotion) is second only to the Holy Mass. I do however believe that all devotions when done properly are all equal in the sense that they aid us in our path of holiness.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1615020' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:57 PM']Please calm down. I never said praying the Rosary was necessary for salvation. I said it was extremely helpful, very powerful, and I was encouraging people to pray it once in a blue moon (once or twice a month?). "To Jesus through Mary, " was a prominent theme throught JPII's entire pontificate. We cannot go to Jesus without going through Mary. Even if someone thinks they are going directly to Jesus, they are still going through Mary.

I don't understand how people on here can tout the glories of immoral TV shows and movies, but if I encourage people to pray the Rosary because the world is in dire straits (1/2 of the country is considering electing a man who believes in infanticide) I'm chastised.[/quote]

But you have been doing more than encouraging people to say the Rosary, you are saying or quoting stuff that the Rosary is necessary to Salvation, again pushing your personal agenda before Church teachings, and again making everyone who doesn't agree with your views as somehow less Catholic than you. We know the Rosary is a powerful prayer that has a long history and rightful place in the Church, but it not our salvation and people can be perfectly good and holy Catholics without saying it. The last part you don't seem to get.

dominicansoul

I hope and pray that all who do not pray it every day will begin to do so, even if you are "not feeling called" to pray it...

It is a viable weapon against Satan and the spirit of this age we are living...

The question offered in this topic is a bit misleading...The Rosary is for everyone, whether they want to accept it or not, it's there for our taking...

And I was wrong for saying, "buy hey, that's just me..." My thoughts are shared by those of countless spiritual director's, saints of the past and many many Popes....not to mention, the Mother of God herself, who has appeared throughout the ages asking that we lift up the Holy Rosary to God every day. It's the reason why Dominican communities offer it up in community twice a day, three times during the months of May and October (and I couldn't imagine any of the sisters telling the Mother Superior, "I'm not going to, because I don't feel called to it...")

It's a staple of Catholicism, a gift given to improve our relationship with God...more so than all the rest (with the exceptions of The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and the Liturgy of the Hours...)

It may be a struggle at the beginning, but it becomes much more as you progress in the spiritual life...
God bless!

lilac_angel

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615192' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:36 PM']It's a staple of Catholicism, a gift given to improve our relationship with God...more so than all the rest (with the exceptions of The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and the Liturgy of the Hours...)[/quote]

Wouldn't Adoration be one of the exceptions, too?

All the above has been addressed over and over again in this thread. lol I don't feel like rehashing it all again. lol

directed toward dominican's post not lilac angels

I know it's been stated it's a great tool.

I think the emphasis was on "if you want to be mature Catholic" pray the rosary. Which is not true.

I think it still needs to be clear however, as others have pointed it, it is not necessary for salvation.

but yeah, after 9 pages, you'll have to go back and re-read.

been there done that in the last 8 pages...... ;)

dominicansoul

If these points have been hashed and re-hashed, then I can see it doesn't really matter describing the value of the Holy Rosary. All I can say is I am shocked that some Catholics feel they "aren't called" to pray the Rosary...

Oh, and yes...of course...Adoration would come before the Rosary!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615250' date='Aug 1 2008, 04:25 PM']If these points have been hashed and re-hashed, then I can see it doesn't really matter describing the value of the Holy Rosary. All I can say is I am shocked that some Catholics feel they "aren't called" to pray the Rosary...

Oh, and yes...of course...Adoration would come before the Rosary![/quote]
Be shocked then because not all of us are.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615250' date='Aug 1 2008, 03:25 PM']All I can say is I am shocked that some Catholics feel they "aren't called" to pray the Rosary...[/quote]

And some of us could be just as shocked that some Catholics don't feel called to Divine Mercy Chaplet, Adoration, Daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, etc. I could keep going but I think you get my point.

I will caution you to be careful in your judgment of others because you do not know the level of their spirituality or devotions.

[quote name='StColette' post='1615265' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:31 PM']And some of us could be just as shocked that some Catholics don't feel called to Divine Mercy Chaplet, Adoration, Daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, etc. I could keep going but I think you get my point.

I will caution you to be careful in your judgment of others because you do not know the level of their spirituality or devotions.[/quote]

In case it was invisible the first time.... ;)

dominicansoul

[quote name='StColette' post='1615265' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:31 PM']And some of us could be just as shocked that some Catholics don't feel called to Divine Mercy Chaplet, Adoration, Daily Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, etc. I could keep going but I think you get my point.

I will caution you to be careful in your judgment of others because you do not know the level of their spirituality or devotions.[/quote]

point well taken...StCollette!

(but...people don't feel called to daily Mass??? Are you kidding me??? When we have the opportunity to participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass??? Eat His Flesh and drink His Blood every single day???) Wow. :mellow: Would anyone be offended if I substitute "don't feel called" to "don't feel like?"

...I do not mean to be judgmental at all and I beg pardon for those who may have felt I was judging them as poor Catholics...only God knows y'alls hearts, and no one should make you feel worse for wear for not doing certain things....

...just trying to promote a gift that's there for the taking....that has helped me tremendously in my own spiritual growth, and has helped millions of others as well (but of course you all said this has been hashed and re-hashed over and over again in this thread...)

...pray for me!

God bless!

johnnydigit

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1614195' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:44 PM']so you're saying a devotion like the Divine Mercy is getting your feet wet..that's what i think you're saying anyway.[/quote]

yep. the Rosary is more conducive to going deeper. sure, someone can go really deep with the Divine Mercy, but more people are more likely to go deeper with the Rosary merely by the meditations on the mysteries. i guess you can try applying the mysteries to the DM if you want. i find i use them both for different purposes.

that's one thing i find so great about our "universal" Church - we have so many different devotions to suit everyone, everywhere, for all time.. just take your pick.

johnnydigit

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1615134' date='Aug 1 2008, 11:24 AM']No, but it's more than a prayer....[/quote]

it's not just a prayer, it's life! ("prayer of the Gospel", Gospel = life, prayer of life!)

btw, dominicansoul.. St. Dominic would be rolling in his grave if he heard some of things around here! or preach for eternity on the Rosary like he did in his life on earth :D

lilac_angel

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1615300' date='Aug 1 2008, 03:06 PM']yep. the Rosary is more conducive to going deeper. sure, someone can go really deep with the Divine Mercy, but more people are more likely to go deeper with the Rosary merely by the meditations on the mysteries. i guess you can try applying the mysteries to the DM if you want. i find i use them both for different purposes.

that's one thing i find so great about our "universal" Church - we have so many different devotions to suit everyone, everywhere, for all time.. just take your pick.[/quote]

I've come across a version of the Divine Mercy (podcast form) that had in depth meditations before each decade, focusing on a particular wound of Jesus and its implications in our own lives. I think the DM has a potential to help us concentrate more specifically on Christ's actual wounds, which Christ has implored many saints to do in the past, especially when they were undergoing difficulty.

Of course, if meditations on it were more popular and widespread, that would probably aid to that end.

Edited by lilac_angel