An Old School Catholic Message Board

Self Abuse=mortal Sin?

icelandic_iceskater

self abuse   

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

icelandic_iceskater

Is self abuse a mortal sin?

[size=1]ETA: I'm not currently struggling with this btw, a friend of mine asked a priest and he said it wasn't, but she always thought it was. Just curious what you all think. [/size]

Edited by icelandic_iceskater

friendofJPII

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1611065' date='Jul 28 2008, 08:09 PM']Define self abuse.

Cutting yourself, yes. Other things are dependent.[/quote]

what are you talking about? cutting yourself? masterbation? eating disorder related?

that question is nearly impossible to answer without knowing the psychological and spiritual state of the person committing the acts.

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1611065' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:09 PM']Define self abuse.

Cutting yourself, yes. Other things are dependent.[/quote]cutting, burning, other forms of self injury.

Why do you say it is?

Depends if the person is capable of changing their actions. If someone has a mental illness where they think they have to cut themselves to let out bad spirits, obviously not. If someone is very disturbed, and cuts themselves to feel some type of control in their chaotic lives, maybe/maybe not. Maturity can also make a difference in my opinion.

friendofJPII

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1611090' date='Jul 28 2008, 08:43 PM']Depends if the person is capable of changing their actions. If someone has a mental illness where they think they have to cut themselves to let out bad spirits, obviously not. If someone is very disturbed, and cuts themselves to feel some type of control in their chaotic lives, maybe/maybe not. Maturity can also make a difference in my opinion.[/quote]

Objectively, yes, it is a mortal sin. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and we should not harm ourselves purposely. But as Cathherine M said, there can be mitigating factors.

There were some saints who subjected themselves to severe penances that could be categorized as "self-abuse" but these are special cases.

"Self-abuse" normally means masturbation. When I voted, I thought this was what it referred to.
But self-mutilation is also a mortal sin, as the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Deliberately harming one's self is regarded as a sin against the fifth commandment.

YOu know SO-Crates.....

I was thinkin the same thing. That they were talking about masturbation *gasp* (I actually used the word) And I also voted that it is a mortal sin.

However I am intrigued about your inquiry about self mutilation...... does this also mean that the "penitents" those that flagellate themselves or have themselves crucified are also sinners?
If you look at some of the gruesome acts of penitence that Saint Rose of Lima did you have to wonder about this topic, because some of the acts she did would most definately fall into the category of self mutilation.

Edited by Balthazor

friendofJPII

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1611357' date='Jul 29 2008, 07:00 AM']YOu know SO-Crates.....

I was thinkin the same thing. That they were talking about masturbation *gasp* (I actually used the word) And I also voted that it is a mortal sin.

However I am intrigued about your inquiry about self mutilation...... does this also mean that the "penitents" those that flagellate themselves or have themselves crucified are also sinners?
If you look at some of the gruesome acts of penitence that Saint Rose of Lima did you have to wonder about this topic, because some of the acts she did would most definately fall into the category of self mutilation.[/quote]

The penances the saints endured are NOT meant for us. We encounter enough suffering by simply living in the times we live in. I'm not sure if some of these saints "went too far" ---they might have. I know St. Francis apologized to his body before he died. But whatever suffering the inflicted on themselves was meant to be redemptive, while the sufffering inflicted by those who engage in self abuse is usualy motivated by a hatred towards themselves, a need to control, or even a satanic influence.

As St. Francis De Sales, "Don't ask for matrydom when you can't even tolerate an unkind word!"

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1612034' date='Jul 29 2008, 07:27 PM']The penances the saints endured are NOT meant for us. We encounter enough suffering by simply living in the times we live in. I'm not sure if some of these saints "went too far" ---they might have. I know St. Francis apologized to his body before he died. But whatever suffering the inflicted on themselves was meant to be redemptive, while the sufffering inflicted by those who engage in self abuse is usualy motivated by a hatred towards themselves, a need to control, or even a satanic influence.

As St. Francis De Sales, "Don't ask for matrydom when you can't even tolerate an unkind word!"[/quote]

Who is this "us" person you are talking about? Aren't we all called to be Saints, to lead a life of holiness and eventually go to heaven and be with GOD? ;)

I understand what you are saying and you are right .... about the satanic influence and self hatred not being in line with saintliness. But seriously if I started self-flagellation, with a pure heart and with the call to penance.... my friends, priest and family would have me medicated and committed. Where is the line? How do we know it? How do you recognize it if God calls you to it?

IN particular I point to this biographical account of Saint Rose of Lima that I quoted from Catholic Encyclopedia.

"In her twentieth year she received the habit of St. Dominic. Thereafter she redoubled the severity and variety of her penances to a heroic degree, wearing constantly a metal spiked crown, concealed by roses, and an iron chain about her waist. Days passed without food, save a draught of gall mixed with bitter herbs. When she could no longer stand, she sought repose on a bed constructed by herself, of broken glass, stone, potsherds, and thorns. She admitted that the thought of lying down on it made her tremble with dread. Fourteen years this martyrdom of her body continued without relaxation, but not without consolation. Our Lord revealed Himself to her frequently, flooding her soul with such inexpressible peace and joy as to leave her in ecstasy for hours. At these times she offered to Him all her mortifications and penances in expiation for offences against His Divine Majesty, for the idolatry of her country, for the conversion of sinners, and for the souls in Purgatory."

I understand the reasoning... but a bed of broken glass is a little extreme even for a saint. I accept that it was from God and for redemptive suffering purposes because she is a saint. But even if my holiest of friends did this I would probably spend most of my time trying to save them from self iniflicted harm. (I used to work in a window factory and have put my hands through my share of glass window panes while reworking frames and installing glass in frames.....trust me, when I say broken glass is not a fun penance.... I dealt with enough of it personally to find out)

My general rule is in ecstacy everything flies because you are not in control God is..... outside of that you tread a pretty fine line between holy and crazy.

Personally my most difficult penance is holding back from inflicitng "redemptive suffering " on others who I think might need it... :club:

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1612647' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:04 AM']Personally my most difficult penance is holding back from inflicitng "redemptive suffering " on others who I think might need it... :club:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:lol:

:numchucks:

heeeeyaaaaaa!

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1612647' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:04 AM']Who is this "us" person you are talking about? Aren't we all called to be Saints, to lead a life of holiness and eventually go to heaven and be with GOD? ;)

I understand what you are saying and you are right .... about the satanic influence and self hatred not being in line with saintliness. But seriously if I started self-flagellation, with a pure heart and with the call to penance.... my friends, priest and family would have me medicated and committed. Where is the line? How do we know it? How do you recognize it if God calls you to it?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i understand what you are saying, but St. Rose also had a spiritual director too, who forbade her from doing 'stronger' penances when she was younger (if i remember right). and she always obeyed her SD. it is important that we have a good SD if we are to commit self-flagellation.

I would say in most circumstances that yes self abuse is a sin. Depending on the gravity of the abuse it could vary the actual severity of the sin, I guess. And we must also keep in mind that a person may not be committing mortal sin if they aren't fully aware that what they are doing is a mortal sin. Objectively it would still be a mortal sin, subjectively it depends on how informed the person is on particular sins.

It also important to remember that there are some psychological disorders that cause people to harm themselves unintentionally. I know that there is one, forgot the name of it, where the person pulls out all of their hair in order to deal with pain or anger. Turrets syndrome can also cause people to abuse themselves.