An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ghosts

Lil Red

Boo!  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ash Wednesday

A co-worker and I did have some very strange events take place associated with a photo shoot in a haunted building.

I will say that I do think that ghosts exist or, perhaps the most accurate term would be that I believe that paranormal unexplained activity can occur in some places. But I can't claim to know what they are, though some do turn out to be demonic forces expelled with a priest's blessing or exorcism. Some are spiritual occurences but some I think might have a natural explanation we haven't grasped yet. We may have theories, there's a lot of things out there that we just don't have explanations or answers to. I think the best way to approach it is to leave them alone, and not dabble with affiliated occult practices, i.e. don't try to initiate contact in an effort to communicate with whatever is manifesting itself. Pray for the dead instead.

[quote name='Selah' post='1625225' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:05 AM']I respectfully disagree with you. I think there is a possibility of there being more spirits out there somewhere...like nature spirits, astral spirits, etc.[/quote]

uh.. is that like new age stuff? don't think that is in line with Catholic teaching..

^ Why would it out of line to believe that? The universe is a vast place, there could be things out there we know nothing about. I don't go out of my way to contact them, if that is what you are thinking. I don't use them to cast spells, etc. I simply believe that different spirits could exist, spirits God has chosen not to reveal to us. I am sure some would say believing in ghosts or aliens is also out of line with Catholic teaching...though i don't understand how it could be.

Edited by Selah

^ I think he could exist, though that video of him is sooo fake...including the one of the Loch Ness monster...they may exist, though...you never know :P

I'm quite dissapointed with the poll. Only two (including me) said No to ghosts...
[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1624592' date='Aug 11 2008, 07:29 PM']I don't know. I'm tempted to say (beyond the exception of the Holy Ghost) that 'no', there's not ghosts in the typical sense. I don't think there are souls that hang around earth like that.

I think that demons can appear as ghosts.

But, this is all just speculation on my behalf.[/quote]
I would agree.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1624608' date='Aug 11 2008, 07:47 PM']Agreed. I have always thought that the "supernatural activity" which honest people claim to have experienced, and attribute to ghosts, was angels or demons. I don't really see how one could say that souls "hang around on earth" (as TB said).[/quote]
Indeed. This whole business of souls being oblivious to the fact they're dead, unfinished business and vengeful spirits is just another ploy of the devil to draw people to with their spiritual longing, which is truly fullfilled in being in union with Christ. For now, I say "tread lightly" to all you who believe in ghosts. If you want to believe in such silly things, then don't lose sight of God.
As for the souls of purgatory being allowed to appear on earth, I personally wouldn't lump em in as ghosts or whatever. More like under the "Church suffering manifested on the physical plane" phenominon :P

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1625221' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:00 AM']No. As far as the spirit world goes, I believe there are only angels and demons.[/quote]

I should have guessed you were the other one ;)

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1625513' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:40 PM']I'm quite dissapointed with the poll. Only two (including me) said No to ghosts...[/quote]

I agree with you, I have been disappointed as well... for the record I voted "other" just because my belief does not discount supernatural activity on the earth, it only attributes it to spirits we know exist (angels & demons)...

I think they do exist, because I believe that they are souls from Purgatory. So in that sense, they are not "ghosts" but rather "souls".

I guess...depends on how you look at it. If I was a secular pagan (in the best sense) I would think that ghosts would be just...ghosts.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1625570' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:11 PM']I agree with you, I have been disappointed as well... for the record I voted "other" just because my belief does not discount supernatural activity on the earth, it only attributes it to spirits we know exist (angels & demons)...[/quote]

I voted 'other' too :) Mainly for reasons I mentioned above.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Kitty' post='1624724' date='Aug 11 2008, 08:04 PM']Yes, I believe in ghosts. I believe I have obtained some photographic evidence of them, as well.[/quote]
Might I possibly see?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1625581' date='Aug 12 2008, 08:24 PM']I think they do exist, because I believe that they are souls from Purgatory. So in that sense, they are not "ghosts" but rather "souls".[/quote]

Check your etymology.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1625513' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:40 PM']I'm quite dissapointed with the poll. Only two (including me) said No to ghosts...[/quote]

Jesus didn't deny their existence either... maybe he did and it wasn't included in Scripture, but interesting nevertheless.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1625513' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:40 PM']Indeed. This whole business of souls being oblivious to the fact they're dead, unfinished business and vengeful spirits is just another ploy of the devil to draw people to with their spiritual longing, which is truly fullfilled in being in union with Christ.[/quote]

How do we know that they are oblivious of the fact they're dead? Most of the ghosts stories I've heard are actually pretty harmless and tame. I believe we add most of the scary stuff because it's something unfamiliar to us and out of our control. There are some accounts of violent ghosts... those sound more like demonic activity.

Couldn't God allow the appearance of some ghosts to remind us that we have souls and an eternal existence?

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1625513' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:40 PM']For now, I say "tread lightly" to all you who believe in ghosts. If you want to believe in such silly things, then don't lose sight of God.[/quote]

Hmm... my belief in God and the existence of souls is why I find it reasonable to believe ghosts exist. Wouldn't it be odd if there weren't any?

Either way, I checked "Yes," but that's just my personal belief. I highly doubt anyone here is holding their belief in ghosts on the level of the Trinity. :)

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1625513' date='Aug 12 2008, 06:40 PM']As for the souls of purgatory being allowed to appear on earth, I personally wouldn't lump em in as ghosts or whatever. More like under the "Church suffering manifested on the physical plane" phenominon :P[/quote]

I understand this to be a plausible theory explaining ghosts from a Catholic perspective. Sounds like you associate ghosts with something tending towards evil. I can't speak for others, but to me they could be good, evil, or possibly indifferent. Maybe they really don't exist at all. Nothing in our faith rules out the option of believing in ghosts, long as they don't become a spiritual distraction from worshiping God.