Autumn Dusk Posted August 16, 2008 Posted August 16, 2008 My dog is supposidly a 4yo Jack Russel/Fox terrier mix. They are supposed to have energy, right? There is something wrong with my dog. I get an adventure life of about 2 to 2.5 hours out of her and she's dead to the world. Its fine on workdays but i drove to the beach today (an hr away) and feel like I wasted my time and money becuase I only stayed for three and a half hours. The last half she whined and cried nonstop. I want to do things with the dumb dog but she just dosn't have the stamina and forcing her hasn't d one much good either. She just had an outside (not shelter run) vet check-up before I got her and they remarked on her fine health. She is healthy...i guess. She has all the right stuff, premium food, good water, and my neghbor even hosts her every couple of days when I'm at work so she can play with their dog. Right now she's on my floor dead to the world. She literally didn't have the energy/spazziness to jump on my bed....she slept all the way home, got out of the car and plopped on the rug as soon as we got in. I'm fairly annoyed. ok, I'm very annoyed. I like her but i almost wish I could return her because obvously she's not as spirited and fun to do things with like the shelter people said she would be. She was supposedly gotten rid of because she had too much energy. Except for the 15mins when I first get home she's yet to show any of this. I got her to be a hiking companion and even in my unconditioned state I beat her out. Its not as if she pants behind me but she keeps up to a point then will walk or play but also cries and whines until we leave. Last week i was nearer to home and went home when the whining started. Today i wasn't so much close to home and i put up with it for longer...but I felt like a parent of a spoiled kid. Am i expecting too much out of her?
HisChildForever Posted August 18, 2008 Posted August 18, 2008 [quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1628948' date='Aug 16 2008, 02:54 PM']I want to do things with the dumb dog but she just dosn't have the stamina and forcing her hasn't d one much good either.[/quote] [quote]I'm fairly annoyed. ok, I'm very annoyed. I like her but i almost wish I could return her because obvously she's not as spirited and fun to do things with like the shelter people said she would be.[/quote] [quote]Today i wasn't so much close to home and i put up with it for longer...but I felt like a parent of a spoiled kid.[/quote] You have no business owning a pet if this is your mentality. I believe on your last post you said that you have recently adopted her. Pets take time to warm up to their owners, thus their true personality is often hidden until they get comfortable. Furthermore, if her old owners gave her away because she was too hyper - ever think that maybe she was mistreated (not beaten per se, but perhaps not fed, not taken outside, not loved, yelled at constantly) for being hyper, and has thus been conditioned to act withdrawn for fear of punishment? Even if none of that is the case, being taken from her home, dumped at a shelter, and then taken to someone else's home has got to be traumatic. Try and be a little more sensitive.
Autumn Dusk Posted August 18, 2008 Author Posted August 18, 2008 (edited) She's got to be used to being in shelters by now...she's four and been in and out of them her whole life. She ought to be doing her best to please me insted of being a brat and trying to get her way. she wasn't exercized enough but she's wasn't lacking in attention. She was misrepresented at the shelter and by her previous owners as very hyper. She is NOT very hyper by a long stretch. She had nervous energy when I first got her but thats simmerd down. She's a calm and boring dog now who is content with a couple walks a day. This is NOT the kind of dog I wanted. If I wanted a lap dog I'd of gotten a freaking yorkie. I've had JRT's and Fox terriers before and they had so much more energy than her they could do laps around her and still be ready to go...she'd be crying to get back into the car. They promised she'd be the dog to go hiking with, swimming with, etc. I doubt she's ever seen a mountian and she didn't seem like she knew what water was. She's just lazy. She isn't the dog I wanted and I'm not happy with her. I'm giving her a week or so before its right back to the kennel she goes. She deserves it. She won't do anything I want to do for a decent amount of time. Edited August 18, 2008 by Autumn Dusk
HisChildForever Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1630781' date='Aug 18 2008, 05:19 PM']She ought to be doing her best to please me insted of being a brat and trying to get her way.[/quote] [quote]She isn't the dog I wanted and I'm not happy with her. I'm giving her a week or so before its right back to the kennel she goes. She deserves it. She won't do anything I want to do for a decent amount of time.[/quote] I'm really restraining myself right now. You should not be a pet owner. Good idea, give her back to the kennel. Hopefully she'll find a considerate owner next time.
IrishSalesian Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 So if your family is not energetic, are you going to trade them in?
Justin86 Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 (edited) People, calm down. It's a [i]dog[/i] we're talking about here. Not another human being. Dropping a dog off at a shelter, because she's not what you wanted or expected is not the same thing as leaving your baby in a trash can because you think he cries too much. Last time I read my Bible God gave us dominion over the earth. It's about time we start acting like we're in charge of the animals again instead of as if they're our equals. Edited August 19, 2008 by Justin86
Balthazor Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 Woah, I understand your frustration. Pets can be rough especially when there is a personality conflict. And quite frankly, I do not think you are a bad person for saying this. The truth is sometimes pets do not work out becuase of personality conflicts..... I mean it is not like you can date your dog before you adopt it. If you had the same problem with a boyfriend or girlfriend you would dump him or her before they became part of your life! For example I really hate my grandmother's yorkshire terrior and I pray it dies before she does because I don't think anyone in the family wants it because he is soo mean and nasty. But she loves the little ^%&*(). YOu know, if the dog really is not what you want I would say put up an ad in the paper and see if you get any takers. There are a lot of people out there who want a calm dog. Try and find a good home if you can.... And if you want a really fun dog that requires a lot of attention and has non-stop energy. Go with a Border Collie. Every single one I know is high maintenance, requires attention and lots of physical activity. And I also have my prejudices, I prefer neutered male dogs. They seem to retain that "puppy spirit" longer than eiterh non-neutered male or female dogs.
Autumn Dusk Posted August 19, 2008 Author Posted August 19, 2008 By law I have to return her to the shelter. which because of work/distance I can't go to for the next two weeks. So I'm stuck with her for that long. I can't have a large dog where I live I'll probably try again for a larger terrier of some kind, hopefully get one thats not defective.
Autumn Dusk Posted August 19, 2008 Author Posted August 19, 2008 (edited) double post Edited August 19, 2008 by Autumn Dusk
jeffpugh Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 I hear dalmatians are quite loaded with energy too. Too bad to hear about your Jack, though. I had one when I was younger. He was a cute little thing... very energetic and fast. We had to sell him though cause we moved to the city, but nevertheless I'm surprised to hear about the lack of boundless energy.
MissScripture Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1631540' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:13 AM']I hear dalmatians are quite loaded with energy too. Too bad to hear about your Jack, though. I had one when I was younger. He was a cute little thing... very energetic and fast. We had to sell him though cause we moved to the city, but nevertheless I'm surprised to hear about the lack of boundless energy.[/quote] Well, any kind of dog you get will have different personalities. My best friend's family raised dalmatians when she was little, and some had lots of energy (one pulled her across three front yards), and some were far more mellow. I think you'd find that with any breed of dog. Also, dalamtians are rather expensive.
prose Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 Have you had him/her checked by the vet since you got it? Maybe it isn't an expense that you want, but there may be something wrong. In my experience, dogs don't just randomly whine for no reason.
HisChildForever Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Justin86' post='1631432' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:38 AM']People, calm down. It's a [i]dog[/i] we're talking about here. Not another human being. Dropping a dog off at a shelter, because she's not what you wanted or expected is not the same thing as leaving your baby in a trash can because you think he cries too much. Last time I read my Bible God gave us dominion over the earth. It's about time we start acting like we're in charge of the animals again instead of as if they're our equals.[/quote] Oh, okay. So I guess it's totally cool that she is talking about her pet like it's dirt? The OP has referred to her pet as a "dumb dog" and has actually said "[b]forcing[/b] her hasn't done much good either" as well as "She ought to be doing her best to please me insted of being a brat and trying to get her way" (selfish, much?) as well as saying that her dog [b]deserves[/b] to go to the kennel because her dog is not [b]entertaining[/b] her. Her dog deserves to be treated with gentleness, love, and care. This is one of God's creatures we're talking about, not some stuffed animal. [quote name='Balthazor' post='1631435' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:50 AM']And quite frankly, I do not think you are a bad person for saying this.[/quote] Is no one paying attention in this thread? It's not wrong to return your pet to the kennel if you are having problems with it. Is everyone here accepting the cruel words the OP is throwing around about her pet? [quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1631441' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:44 AM']By law I have to return her to the shelter. which because of work/distance I can't go to for the next two weeks. So I'm stuck with her for that long. I can't have a large dog where I live I'll probably try again for a larger terrier of some kind, hopefully get one thats not defective.[/quote] I find it [b]incredibly[/b] amusing that you have yet to acknowledge half the things I've said to you. Lmao, [b]defective[/b]. You just keep making my point. And I disagree. Hopefully they won't give you another. Edited August 19, 2008 by HisChildForever
cmotherofpirl Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 I have returned two dogs to previous owners because they were not what they claimed. Would you rather someone keep a dog they are not obviously going to have the patience to get along with? On the other hand, you have not given the dog a chance. If it has been in and out of shelters all its life, its just resigned to getting by, and not being kept or loved. It probably thinks your just another human who will throw it away so why try. It will take love and attention to get it to trust you, play with you, and enjoy the outdoors. Dogs have personalities just like people and do not learn to love overnight. Poor thing was probably terrified of being outside on mountains and beaches. You would be too if you never experienced it. Call the shelter and discuss the dogs behavior before you haul the poor thing back to its eventual doom.
MissScripture Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1631596' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:07 PM']Oh, okay. So I guess it's totally cool that she is talking about her pet like it's dirt? The OP has referred to her pet as a "dumb dog" and has actually said "[b]forcing[/b] her hasn't done much good either" as well as "She ought to be doing her best to please me insted of being a brat and trying to get her way" (selfish, much?) as well as saying that her dog [b]deserves[/b] to go to the kennel because her dog is not [b]entertaining[/b] her. Her dog deserves to be treated with gentleness, love, and care. This is one of God's creatures we're talking about, not some stuffed animal. Is no one paying attention in this thread? It's not wrong to return your pet to the kennel if you are having problems with it. Is everyone here accepting the cruel words the OP is throwing around about her pet? I find it [b]incredibly[/b] amusing that you have yet to acknowledge half the things I've said to you. Lmao, [b]defective[/b]. You just keep making my point. And I disagree. Hopefully they won't give you another.[/quote] I agree. The whole tone of the original post is very negative and does not seem at all fair to the animal. While we are given dominion over animals, we are also supposed to care for them and love them. They're not all going to be perfect, and they're never going to be perfect all the time. Does that mean that every time they do something wrong we should get rid of the animal? If the dog just came from a shelter, especially if she was in and out of shelters all her life, she'll have a hard time warming up and getting used to things. It's not going to help her at all to be returned. It'll just reinforce those qualities in her, because she doesn't know any other way to act.
Balthazor Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1631596' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:07 AM']Oh, okay. So I guess it's totally cool that she is talking about her pet like it's dirt? The OP has referred to her pet as a "dumb dog" and has actually said "[b]forcing[/b] her hasn't done much good either" as well as "She ought to be doing her best to please me insted of being a brat and trying to get her way" (selfish, much?) as well as saying that her dog [b]deserves[/b] to go to the kennel because her dog is not [b]entertaining[/b] her. Her dog deserves to be treated with gentleness, love, and care. This is one of God's creatures we're talking about, not some stuffed animal. Is no one paying attention in this thread? It's not wrong to return your pet to the kennel if you are having problems with it. Is everyone here accepting the cruel words the OP is throwing around about her pet? I find it [b]incredibly[/b] amusing that you have yet to acknowledge half the things I've said to you. Lmao, [b]defective[/b]. You just keep making my point. And I disagree. Hopefully they won't give you another.[/quote] I appreciate what you are saying. I love my dog like he is one of the family. And yes we should treat animals with love and respect, But seriously if it isn't working out, then it isn't working out. If something happened to me that my dog would have to be put up for adoption I would want someone who was right for him, not someone who did not click. My dog is ultra-hig energy and though he is very friendly I know he would not be happy with someone who sits around the house all day, like an elderly person. On the other hand most dogs are returned precisley because of thier high energy..... so here we have someone who wants a high energy dog, which tend to be much harder to place and is not happy with the current dog, who becuase of her nature has more of a chance at a home. Why not? Listen, some of us are just more blunt than others, Autumndusk is blunt. So be it. The dog is not being abused or beaten, the personalities just don't match. Return the dog. Easy.
Roamin Catholic Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1631622' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:39 AM']On the other hand, you have not given the dog a chance. If it has been in and out of shelters all its life, its just resigned to getting by, and not being kept or loved. It probably thinks your just another human who will throw it away so why try. It will take love and attention to get it to trust you, play with you, and enjoy the outdoors. Dogs have personalities just like people and do not learn to love overnight. Poor thing was probably terrified of being outside on mountains and beaches. You would be too if you never experienced it. Call the shelter and discuss the dogs behavior before you haul the poor thing back to its eventual doom.[/quote] my mom got a shelter dog about two years ago...it had been abused and didn't like men...It doesnt know how to play. and was scared and shy when my mom first got her. Now she isnt as shy, isnt afraid of my dad or me. And loves my mom to no end. give it time, it may take some Also, it isn't unheard of to get a dog who has behavior completely diferent from what is typical for that breed. I grew up with a Black Lab who was terrified of water to the point that it was a struggle to give him a bath.
HisChildForever Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 [quote name='Balthazor' post='1631636' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:50 PM']I appreciate what you are saying. I love my dog like he is one of the family. And yes we should treat animals with love and respect, But seriously if it isn't working out, then it isn't working out. If something happened to me that my dog would have to be put up for adoption I would want someone who was right for him, not someone who did not click. My dog is ultra-hig energy and though he is very friendly I know he would not be happy with someone who sits around the house all day, like an elderly person. On the other hand most dogs are returned precisley because of thier high energy..... so here we have someone who wants a high energy dog, which tend to be much harder to place and is not happy with the current dog, who becuase of her nature has more of a chance at a home. Why not? Listen, some of us are just more blunt than others, Autumndusk is blunt. So be it. The dog is not being abused or beaten, the personalities just don't match. Return the dog. Easy.[/quote] Did you completely miss it when I said this?: [quote]Is no one paying attention in this thread? It's not wrong to return your pet to the kennel if you are having problems with it. Is everyone here accepting the cruel words the OP is throwing around about her pet?[/quote] [b]I am not against returning the pet to the kennel.[/b] I can not [b]believe[/b] that after all my posts, you still think this. [b]I am against the way the OP is handling the situation.[/b] I believe that she is not fit to have an animal if she talks about it so negatively and cruelly, as if it is a slave pet meant to do her bidding. Therefore, yes she should return the pet to the kennel, and she should not be adopting another one. Her mentality is far too irresponsible and immature and she is not fit for having a pet.
prose Posted August 19, 2008 Posted August 19, 2008 On a totally unrelated note, why do you keep referring to Autumn Dusk as OP? I am confused. Is that real initials or something? Sorry /end hijack.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now