CoffeeCatholic Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Brian Rohrbough is Danny Rohrbough's, who died at Columbine High, dad
Selah Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 [quote]Brian Rohrbough is Danny Rohrbough's, who died at Columbine High, dad[/quote] That's what I thought I wonder if Fides ran into him...would have been nice
Selah Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 [quote]Maybe he's in jail...[/quote] Oh, he better not be
kujo Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 (edited) Why is him getting arrested for blocking an entrance cool? Don't the Democrats have a right to gather for their convention? I mean, we have the right to protest and yell and scream and stuff. But what ya'll did was [i]obviously[/i] breaking a law that is not unjust. I admire your courage and conviction, but I question your motives. God bless. Edited August 28, 2008 by kujo
dominicansoul Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Kujo, you have stated the obvious. It was a peaceful protest against Abortion. the whole idea is to get in their face and in their way to make a statement. Have you ever studied Dr. Martin Luther King's "civil disobedience?" It was against the laws for blacks to do the most mundane things (ride a bus in the front, sit at a counter in the drugstore, etc.) And this was the way they protested by breaking these laws. The same happened here, with Fides and co. They broke the law to make a statement. Bravo for them!
kujo Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1640347' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:13 PM']Kujo, you have stated the obvious. It was a peaceful protest against Abortion. the whole idea is to get in their face and in their way to make a statement. Have you ever studied Dr. Martin Luther King's "civil disobedience?" It was against the laws for blacks to do the most mundane things (ride a bus in the front, sit at a counter in the drugstore, etc.) And this was the way they protested by breaking these laws. The same happened here, with Fides and co. They broke the law to make a statement. Bravo for them![/quote] I know about civil disobedience, but, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the disobedience have to be of an unjust law in order for the action to be licit? Were they protesting the law that prohibits them from blocking an entrance to the DNC (not an unjust law, to my knowledge) or protesting the horrors of abortion?
dominicansoul Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 (edited) Well, since it is against the law to block women from entering abortion centers and killing their children, it was very symbolic of this group to block the entrance into the DNC... Edited August 28, 2008 by dominicansoul
kujo Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1640356' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:24 PM']Well, since it is against the law to block women from entering abortion centers and killing their children, it was very symbolic of this group to block the entrance into the DNC...[/quote] Are these laws [i]unjust[/i], though? Is it unjust to prevent someone from invading your right to make a choice, even a wrong one? Perhaps; however, this is not an unjust law, for it allows us to exercise our freedom of speech and freedom of assembly without fear that some group, holding competing views, could prevent us. Think about some anti-Catholic group blocking the entrance to a Church. That would be unjust. This was unjust. Admirable, but unjust, IMHO.
Adrestia Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Prayer Request from F. Q. I. They are protesting again!
Church Punk Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Wow real tough guys... arresting an elderly priest!!! thats Low!
CoffeeCatholic Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Brian's a great guy who helps a lot with the pro-life initiative here in Denver. I don't know if Fides saw him, since he was on the Mountain Monday with the sign, but if you do any prolife work here for long, you meet him. I've had dinner with him a couple of times. great guy, cute kids.
Fidei Defensor Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 Only here would being arrested actually be considered a good thing
dominicansoul Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 [quote name='tgoldson' post='1640392' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:18 AM']Prayer Request from F. Q. I. They are protesting again![/quote]
Nihil Obstat Posted August 28, 2008 Posted August 28, 2008 What will, or can, you be charged with after that?
Guest KevinSymonds Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 (edited) [quote name='StColette' post='1639465' date='Aug 27 2008, 11:27 AM']lol Dr. Miravalle told our class a story once about an anti-abortion protest he and some of the faculty and friars of Franciscan were involved in lol Apparently they cemented themselves to the ground (practically) with 20 members from faculty/friars of FUS and about 20 from Protestant Churches. lol They were arrested, including Fr. Scanlan lol and Scott Hahn. Apparently they said they were going to be jailed for 6 months, but somehow got released in 3 days lol During those three days they held Mariology Classes and Biblical Studies classes with the non-Catholic folks lol[/quote] Ah yes, I remember this story, though Dr. Hahn was not there. It was Fr. Michael, Dr. Miravalle and the Bishop of Steubenville, H.E. Albert Ottenweller. I saw a picture in the paper a long time ago. I read the link to the protest story. Randall Terry actually PHONED the police and told the lieutenant they were there. Sorry, but unless there is a piece of this puzzle that is unhitherto unknown to me, I think that was just absurd. First of all, this was not an abortion clinic. Second, what the heck is the point of phoning the police to tell them the group is there? I am a teacher and if one of my students phoned me before I got to the classroom and said, "Mr. Symonds, I am sitting here in your classroom and I do not have my homework" I think my first thought would be "um, and why are you telling me this?" The Report: [i]He told the few children in the group to remain standing to the side, holding signs. "You'll be part of a legal protest that may someday be covered in the history books," he said. When the protesters first gathered at the gate, people with convention passes were able squeeze behind them to get through. When protesters sat down in the street, Terry asked an aide for the "red phone," a cell phone he used to call police. He could be heard saying "Lieutenant, we're here at the gate." Then some of the protesters moved closer to the gate, blocking it. Secret Service officers shut it and directed convention-goers to another gate. Protesters sang a Catholic hymn, "Salve Regina." They said one Hail Mary for the police officers before a lieutenant approached them. Reading from a card, he cited the city ordinance they were violating and warned them they would have to leave or be arrested. Associated Press writers Mary Hudetz and Chakhan Thomas contributed to this report.[/i] Edited August 29, 2008 by KevinSymonds
missionarybelle Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 Hm. I thnk It's great that you had the guts to stand up and be arrested, but I'm not completely sure about the point. I don't agree with the democrats but they have the right to gather. I'd be ticked off if someone blocked my church or an entrance to the vatican or whatever. I think the sign though was really cool. and i don't get hte point of calling the police and telling them what you're going to do. that kinda seems to me like you're just wanting attention. I dunno. this is just what it seems to me
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now