An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Guys Respond To This?

the lumberjack

the lumberjack

now, as a "Protestant" Christian, I've learned a bit about Catholicism...and I'm learning more and more every day. I turn to a couple sources for my basis of knowledge on Catholicism...and so far, you guys have shown me that we walk ALMOST the same path of faith...which is a VERY good thing. :D

now, the site listed below is one of the major references I have when it comes to Catholicism...apart from the wonderful discussions I've had here so far with you various brethren...and sistren, in Christ.

I was wondering if when you guys had the time, if you could go thru, piece by piece and give me where YOU PERSONALLY stand...not what the Catholic Church teaches, but where you PERSONALLY stand with what the site says in its different pieces and parts. Now, I know how important the beliefs of "the Church" are and how much you/we should value them, but if your church is teaching something wack, isn't it YOUR/MY/OUR job to go back, read the Bible, keep it in context, and see exactly what the deal REALLY is?

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again...the catholic church gave "us" ("us" being you and me...and everyone else who has it) the Bible...fine. That gives no one the right to contort, twist, and stretch the words contained in it. Cults, religious sects, off shoots of wack religions, Catholics AND Protestants BOTH also do it...and we don't have the right to.

Concordances are a GREAT help in translating the word...and commentaries can better HELP us intrepret it in a way that might be easier to help US understand it... but in the end, the Bible is the Word of God, and like God, it is irrefutable, immovable, and solid...that is why when I post, I use the Bible and a concordance...and if I KNOW that a brother in Christ has a solid foundation of doctrine, I'll quote him. So while I LOVE my church and what it teaches and where my Pastor stands, if he were to EVER start preaching something "iffy" I would most definitely look it up for myself...and call him on it. We are all ministers of the word...with a calling from God to evangelize the world...each according to our own measure of faith. and for this, I am thankful. (I REALLLY don't know exactly what this last rant was about, but I felt I should put it in...and I did...maybe cuz its 12:30 in the am? hahaha oh well)

PLEASE, [b]TRY[/b] to keep your answers to less than one screen-length...and I KNOW that NONE of y'all have 36 inch computer screens! ;) so I, and the rest of us can read them.

[img]http://www.menardsigns.com/images/catalog_files/spam.jpg[/img] [color=red][edited by foundsheep:Linking to anticath website][/color]love.

cmotherofpirl

I think you forgot the link. :)

"Now, I know how important the beliefs of "the Church" are and how much you/we should value them, but if your church is teaching something wack, isn't it YOUR/MY/OUR job to go back, read the Bible, keep it in context, and see exactly what the deal REALLY is?
"

There is problem wth your assumption here. You are assuming the Bible is the only authority here, and that is simply not true. As you have agreed the Scriptures came from the Church. Therefore the Church is OLDER than the Scripture. The Scriptures are part of the Church, not the other way arond. The Bible is a catholic selection of writings, so obviously the Church wouldn't put something in it, that did not agree with Church teaching.
You want us to use our own book against us, and that isn't possible.

Remember the part in the NT where it says take disputes to the Church? It doesn't say run and look in a book. Only the Church has the authority to make decisions and loose and bind.

Scripture is part of the Church, but so is the written Traditions handed on from the Apostles. Both have equal authority.
Please excuse spelling errors, I am typing while holding a cat.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 8 2004, 07:55 AM'] I am typing while holding a cat. [/quote]
Appropriate for a CATholic website :lol: :lol:

(ducks at the tomatoes being thrown at him)

One priest said once that since the Catholic Church gave the world the bible, why not let the Catholic Church interpret the bible?

[quote]now, as a "Protestant" Christian, I've learned a bit about Catholicism...and I'm learning more and more every day. I turn to a couple sources for my basis of knowledge on Catholicism...and so far, you guys have shown me that we walk ALMOST the same path of faith...which is a VERY good thing.[/quote]

It's great to see a protestant brother see through the anti-Catholic lies that float around the world. Thank you.

ref: [url="http://www.ianpaisley.net"]http://www.ianpaisley.net[/url]

[quote]I was wondering if when you guys had the time, if you could go thru, piece by piece and give me where YOU PERSONALLY stand...not what the Catholic Church teaches, but where you PERSONALLY stand with what the site says in its different pieces and parts. Now, I know how important the beliefs of "the Church" are and how much you/we should value them, but if your church is teaching something wack, isn't it YOUR/MY/OUR job to go back, read the Bible, keep it in context, and see exactly what the deal REALLY is?[/quote]

If we believed differently than what the Church teaches we would not be of One Faith.

The Catholic Churches official teaching, cannot be wack. I understand your point, but we believe that when Jesus said that the Church would never be overcome, and that the Spirit of Truth would be sent to the Church, and that Jesus would be with the Church until the end of time, and that "[color=red]He who hears you, hears me[/color]" means that the Church cannot never teach wacked teachings.

Now, certain people in the Church can, but the bible warns us that wolves will reach places of authority... Acts 20:30

We also believe that the Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim 3:15).

We would be wacked if we thought differently than the offcial teaching.

I hope that helps.

God Bless, Your Servant in Christ,
ironmonk

Not to get off subject here, but just wanted to let you know Lumberjack, that a lot of us Catholics are former-Protestants. So we aren't ignorant when it comes to Protestantism :D .

Hope you enjoy your stay, and continue to learn more and more about Catholicism!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Mar 8 2004, 10:14 AM'] Appropriate for a CATholic website :lol: :lol:

(ducks at the tomatoes being thrown at him)

[/quote]
Cassidy hisses at you appropriately :cyclops: .

In her great adventure she jumped off the frig and broke her leg, so she expects to be carried and held at all times. She frequently assists me by hitting keys and deleting entire paragraphs.

yep.
The Church did not pick gospels and letters out haphazardly. They were picked because they fit the theology handed down by the Apostles and disciples.

the lumberjack

it would seem as if someone went thru and made a debauchery of the link I had up....hmmmm...

here it is again.

[color=red][Edite by IcePrincess: The Spam picture usually means dUSt took the link out because he found in inappropriate. Since (it appears) he removed it once I'm removing it again. If anyone wants the link they can PM Lumberjack for it.][/color]

and as late as it was...I DO remember NOT putting in that picture of SPAM.

thank you to whoever did that. :cyclops:

Sammy Blaze

HI all,

Upon searching this "interesting" site, I liked the brief, inaccurate portrayal of Catholic beliefs, lol. I was interested though to read what the early church fathers had to say about Sola Scriptura. I found rather vague interpretation of what our early fathers said. I did enjoy the part where they used the fact that the early church fathers cited the Bible thousands of times in early letters as proof that they believed in Sola Scriptura. That must mean my priest believes in Sola Scriptura becasue he cites the BIble when he talks to me. :P This site is is designed to augment the idea that 1)Catholic's aren't Christians 2) Catholics aren't saved..
There's no point in answering these vague accusations but here's one:

[quote]Mary, Jesus' Mother

Protestants have historically held Mary in high regard as a godly and highly favored woman of God, a sinner saved by the grace of her divine Son.

Catholic dogma, on the other hand, has exalted her in an irresponsible and idolatrous way. She is declared to have been free from all original sin (the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, first declared in 1854; Catechism 491-492), free from any actual sin during her life (Catechism 411), and perpetually a virgin even after the birth of Jesus (Catechism 499-500).

Mary... was redeemed from the moment of her conception... preserved immune from all stain of original sin.
    -Catechism 491
Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long.
    -Catechism 493 [/quote]

haha this quote was taken from a section titled,
"Ways in which the Bible and the Roman Catholic church differ "
Besides the outrageous accustations to Catholic theology in this small paragraph;
Where is the Bible quote in the above statment??????? :rolleyes:

Pax Christ ~S.

Sammy Blaze

[quote]The Bible says:
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    -1 Timothy 2:5 (KJV) Jesus Christ of Nazareth... Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
    -Acts 4:10-12 (KJV)
[/quote]

ooopps I found it. haha would any Catholic dispute that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation??? And since there is only one mediator between God and men, Jesus, does that necessarilly mean there is no mediator between man and a relationship with Jesus?
I could go on but it seems like I'd be preaching to the choir, I mean there are so many knowledgable apologists here... ;)
~S.

the lumberjack

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='Mar 8 2004, 11:52 AM'] it would seem as if someone went thru and made a debauchery of the link I had up....hmmmm...

here it is again.

[color=red][Edite by IcePrincess: The Spam picture usually means dUSt took the link out because he found in inappropriate. Since (it appears) he removed it once I'm removing it again. If anyone wants the link they can PM Lumberjack for it.][/color]

and as late as it was...I DO remember NOT putting in that picture of SPAM.

thank you to whoever did that. :cyclops: [/quote]
though I don't TOTALLY agree with the fact that others post links in support of what they write, and I was just doing the same...

I respect the fact that you don't want that stuff on your site.

and as for the site...just hit me if you really want to see what it says.

then you can partially see where I'm coming from.

peace.

;)

It seems as if the [i]misconceptions[/i] of the Catholic Church are being advocated on the site you posted.

We can disagree on many things, but to not understand what the Chuch teaches and have misconceptions of what we really teach and believe isn't doing anyone a favor. I mean, just look at the way they say, "[i]Catholic dogma, on the other hand, has exalted her in an irresponsible and idolatrous way." [/i] No, that is [b]wrong[/b], obviously they don't really care about what we truly believe about the Most Holy Virgin else they wouldn't have said that. :wall:

there is just too many sites dedicated to advocating misconceptions about the Catholic Church.

:spam: :spammer:

Peace and God Bless.

the lumberjack

but Mary had other kids.

The Bible says so.

she WASN'T a virgin all her life.

and she WAS born under the law, under sin, like everyone else.

she WAS blessed among women...that IS in the Bible, and I'm not doubting that.

but she IS NOT the mother of God.

The bible and the Catholic Church don't differ, the bible rightfully belongs to the Catholic Church and only the Catholic Church knows the true meaning of the Bible. That's why our church is so sophisticated. Yeah there are tons of "Know it all" bible believers but trust me, do you really think it's up to the "Individual person" to find out what the bible means even after 2000 years? It was the Catholic church who wrote and put all the books of the bible under one cover, I trust my church before some dude who pops out of nowehere claiming new revelation. Which basically happens everyday. "The bible this, the bible that! Just remember and study the history on where it came from. As for Mary having other kids, the bible does not say she did, you and your interpretation says so and those are two totally different things. So many people trying to impose their views into the Scriptures rather than pulling the meaning out.