An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Guys Respond To This?

the lumberjack

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='Mar 8 2004, 08:21 PM'] what about Christ's sisters?

Mary's other sons included Joses (Joseph), James, Judas, and Simon. There were evidently sisters as well, but they are unnamed (Matthew 13:55-56; Mark 6:3).

are these cousins as well?

and why do you choose to believe that brother is translated SOLELY as cousin?...if you guys said, as well as I know, that is also translated as blood brother.

so it can fit the mold? I hope not.

and if you're saying that faithful Catholics don't believe EVERYTHING the Catholic church teaches....then I might be dumbfounded...for a second. till everyone comes on here and says otherwise anywho.

its still all love. [/quote]
lumberjack,

Mt 13:55 = "Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brethren [GK, adelphos: brethren, brothers, kinsmen, etc.] James and Joseph and Simon and Judas."
Mk 6:3 = "Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother [GK, adelphos: ] of James and Joses [Joseph] and Judas and Simon, and are no his sisters here with us?"

Notes:
1. Joses is a variant spelling of Joseph.
2. According to my Greek Lexicon (it's non-Catholic by the way) the word adelphos means brothers or kinsmen (brethren).
3. I've read protestant scholarship which admits that the Bible is not conclusive about Jesus actually have blood brothers and sisters (I'm too lazy to dig up quotes right now).
4. The ancient Christian understanding was that Mary had no other children. These were native Greek speakers who were much closer to Christ's lifetime who certainly would know better.

Other verses to consider:
Mt 27:56 = "Among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph [Joses] and the mother of the sons of Zebedee."
Mk 15:40 = "There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses [Joseph], and Salome, who, when he was in Galilee, followed him and misistered to him."
Mk 15:47 = "Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses [Joseph] saw where he was laid."
Jn 20:25 = "But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother's sister Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene."

Conclusion:
It seems reasonable to infer that Mary the mother of Jesus had an adelphai also named Mary (which suggests she was probably not a full blood sister since people don't name two daughters the same thing, perhaps a cousin). So this close relative of Mary had sons named James and Joses [Joseph] and possible others (such as Salome, Judas and Simon) who would have been Christ's cousins or kinsmen (adelphos).

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='Mar 8 2004, 02:57 PM']
[url="http://www.blueletterbible.org"]a DOPE onliine concordance[/url]

I'm not the only person on these boards to say that this concordance IS dope, and has MUCH to offer us to learn.

[/quote]
That concordance doesnt contain the complete inspired word of God. You yourself have said that Catholic fathers gave us the Bible. Well use the one they Gave us. Not the King of England.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='foundsheep' date='Mar 8 2004, 10:25 PM'] That concordance doesnt contain the complete inspired word of God. You yourself have said that Catholic fathers gave us the Bible. Well use the one they Gave us. Not the King of England. [/quote]
yeah, it's best to use multiple resources when studying the Bible. That's what I try to do. I try to use Catholic, Protestant and Jewish scholarship.

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='Mar 8 2004, 09:21 PM'] and if you're saying that faithful Catholics don't believe EVERYTHING the Catholic church teaches....then I might be dumbfounded...for a second.  till everyone comes on here and says otherwise anywho.

its still all love. [/quote]
Lumberjack,

Just so you know, when someone joins the Catholic Church they must attest, in front of the entire Church (most importantly - God), that they believe ALL that the Catholic Church teaches to be true.

All Catholics are bound to believe what the Church teaches as far as doctrine and dogma. So unless they lied, or they are poorly educated, or believe their own reasoning is more important than the church's, every Catholic should agree.

Lumberjack,

Every point you have brought up concerning the brothers and sisters of Christ has been answered in depth in the article I posted on the previous page - just in case you are interested. :)

I picked it because when I was once Protestant it helped me to understand fully what the Church teaching is, and why it is in line with the Bible.