An Old School Catholic Message Board

Class Of 2009

Christie_M

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1784581' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:22 PM']I would say renting a tux is always a good idea, unless you're going to be useing the suit for other things [b]this[/b] year.[/quote]
Well surely in the next two years or so.
It's a tough decision. :( I definitely want to look good, but these days it's always best not to waste money...

Very true. Well, judging form my personal experiance, I would say go with renting one.
If you buy one and just leave it in the closet for the next two years or so there could be a good chance it will not fit you (and probably smell funny lol)
Renting would cost you what? as oposed to buying one now, then dry cleaning it and having it fitted in a few years?

icelandic_iceskater

If it costs about the same, I'd buy one. Even if you used it only once more you'd be saving quite a bit of money.

On the other hand if you're spending an extra hundred or so, I'd just rent one. Tuxedos look sweet!

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1785543' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:18 PM']Very true. Well, judging form my personal experiance, I would say go with renting one.
If you buy one and just leave it in the closet for the next two years or so there could be a good chance it will not fit you (and probably smell funny lol)
Renting would cost you what? as oposed to buying one now, then dry cleaning it and having it fitted in a few years?[/quote]
Renting a tux is going to be minimum $150-~$230.
Buying a nice 3-piece suit (which of course can be worn as a two piece when situation dictates) is $200-$400.
I'd probably get some use out of it too.
I wear suit jackets to school regularly. :P I'm a big fan of dressing well. I dunno how often I'd wear the full suit; probably three times or so in the next two years... (probably a funeral or two on the horizon)... so it's a tough call. :P I'm very torn.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1785874' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:37 PM']On the other hand if you're spending an extra hundred or so, I'd just rent one. Tuxedos look sweet![/quote]
Hehe, that's part of my dillema.
See, I thought the same thing, until I started looking at catologues.
Turns out that tuxes are really only different in that they're just a few inches longer in the tail. I'm not going with wacky stuff, so there's that, and the presence of a bow tie instead of a regular tie.
I dunno if anyone would notice; we're not exactly high class gentlemen. :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1786164' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:17 PM']Renting a tux is going to be minimum $150-~$230.
Buying a nice 3-piece suit (which of course can be worn as a two piece when situation dictates) is $200-$400.
I'd probably get some use out of it too.
I wear suit jackets to school regularly. :P I'm a big fan of dressing well. I dunno how often I'd wear the full suit; probably three times or so in the next two years... (probably a funeral or two on the horizon)... so it's a tough call. :P I'm very torn.[/quote]

:ohno: sorry to hear that funerals may be around the corner.
I dunno. I still think you should go with renting one for the time being. :idontknow:

What exactly are you planning on using it for (in the very near future i mean)

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1786195' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:25 AM']I dunno. I still think you should go with renting one for the time being. :idontknow:

What exactly are you planning on using it for (in the very near future i mean)[/quote]
Other thing I forgot to mention is that it will be easier to colour coordinate with my girlfriend by buying rather than renting.
Renting I need to sort out exactly what I want in the next couple weeks. She doesn't have a dress yet, nor does she know what colours she wants. :) So buying a suit, I can put off finding a shirt and tie until I know what colour she'll be in.
In the next couple years, like I said, probably a wedding, likely a funeral or two, and there are always a couple 'more formal' events that I can wear it at.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1786289' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:46 AM']Other thing I forgot to mention is that it will be easier to colour coordinate with my girlfriend by buying rather than renting.
Renting I need to sort out exactly what I want in the next couple weeks. She doesn't have a dress yet, nor does she know what colours she wants. :) So buying a suit, I can put off finding a shirt and tie until I know what colour she'll be in.
In the next couple years, like I said, probably a wedding, likely a funeral or two, and there are always a couple 'more formal' events that I can wear it at.[/quote]

Oh! what a great idea to match with your girlfriend.
Well, I see what you're trying to do then. I would definitaly go with buying one. Like you said, you could match with your girlfriend and then use it later on.
Although you might want to get a different suit for the wedding...you may not fit in it in a few years. but that's still a while away.
NOW it makes sense :rolleyes:

TotusTuusMaria

I say rent one.

A suit is less casual then a tux. A prom usually calls for black-tie/formal wear. A suit is semi-formal.

And do not wear a bow-tie. They are very out right now when it comes to the prom. A neck tie is the usual these days at proms.

Also, you should go by the shop where you are wanting to rent and ask if there are any deals going on. Usually when prom comes around the shops which rent out tuxes give discounts if you are attending a particular event/dance/prom.

I've decided to rent a tux.

[url="http://www.paperator.com/user/2gen/Freeman_English.pdf/?id=2gen/Freeman_English.pdf&lan=uk&gtp=1&bg=FFFFFF&he=474&align=m"]Freeman Formal[/url]

Page 26. With a charcoal plaid necktie and pocket square on page 36.

rose wrought of iron

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1791674' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:30 PM']I've decided to rent a tux.

[url="http://www.paperator.com/user/2gen/Freeman_English.pdf/?id=2gen/Freeman_English.pdf&lan=uk&gtp=1&bg=FFFFFF&he=474&align=m"]Freeman Formal[/url]

Page 26. With a charcoal plaid necktie and pocket square on page 36.[/quote]
Nice :yes:

Guys always look [i]so[/i] good in tuxes.

*sigh*
I love it when guys dress up; can't stand that grungy, off the street, homeless guy look. :sick:

[quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1791956' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:43 PM']Nice :yes:

Guys always look [i]so[/i] good in tuxes.

*sigh*
I love it when guys dress up; can't stand that grungy, off the street, homeless guy look. :sick:[/quote]
Oh, well that was my second choice, so I guess I made the right call.
That and it's just impossible to find shoes with semi-detached soles these days. :unsure:

JM + JT

OK, so I didn't apply to anywhere special and fantastic just yet, but...

I got into the Honors College at the local college in my neighborhood. (:

I've heard A LOT of good things about it, even that it's better than one of the universities in the area, so I'm real happy that I got accepted. There was an interview and everything.

It's free and I get all my scholarship money back, so all I have to do now is keep my grades up, find tons more scholarships, and it's out of state here I come! :D

OH! And...

I'm a [b]finalist[/b] for Fireside Catholic Publishing's 2009 scholarship for $1000! :) I wrote an essay about the impact religious education has made on my life and I am a finalist out of I think 35 or so from about 400 entries. (I'll check the exact numbers later). Anyways, I'm the only one from my state (Ohio seemed to repeat a lot) and the only one with a Hispanic-sounding name. :)

Prayers please!

Edited by salterrae

[quote name='salterrae' post='1792663' date='Feb 27 2009, 04:21 PM']JM + JT

OK, so I didn't apply to anywhere special and fantastic just yet, but...

I got into the Honors College at the local college in my neighborhood. (:

I've heard A LOT of good things about it, even that it's better than one of the universities in the area, so I'm real happy that I got accepted. There was an interview and everything.

It's free and I get all my scholarship money back, so all I have to do now is keep my grades up, find tons more scholarships, and it's out of state here I come! :D

OH! And...

I'm a [b]finalist[/b] for Fireside Catholic Publishing's 2009 scholarship for $1000! :) I wrote an essay about the impact religious education has made on my life and I am a finalist out of I think 35 or so from about 400 entries. (I'll check the exact numbers later). Anyways, I'm the only one from my state (Ohio seemed to repeat a lot) and the only one with a Hispanic-sounding name. :)

Prayers please![/quote]

Aw, I guess you beat my essay then. :)

I guess I didn't really work all that hard on mine...

[quote name='rachael' post='1772859' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:45 AM']i was determined to make a certain score. :unsure: i dunno, is it not a normal thing? because we all did it. :idontknow:[/quote]

I took it three times to bump up my score. :)

I've been accepted to the state uni I want to transfer to! (I'm already halfway to my BA, but I'll be graduating with my Associate's in May.) :yahoo: