An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Trinity - The Devil's Doctrine

reyb

He has a point. To claim that God has always existed, and in the form of a Father, a Son, and a Holy Spirit is illogical. But of course, nothing is impossible for God, except to create a rock he can't lift.. BUT that's a logical contradiction, unlike the Trinity, which is perfectly logical, except for non-Christians who aren't infused with the Holy Spirit who don't have the special knowledge required to understand it. :topsy:

That whole "can God create a rock that God can't move" thing has been done.

If God is perfection, then God can't change, because that would be deviation from perfection. So, God's intentions cannot change. If He wanted to create a rock that He could not move, He would create it, and it would be so.

Another example: God created man with an immortal soul. God cannot change His mind and decide to annihilate man.

But taking your point and running with it, Christians don't understand the Trinity either. It is a great mystery. We all have some idea what "three persons, one God," means, but we don't try to explain it in too much detail. All analogies tend to fall apart, eventually. I have to go with what [b]Salterrae[/b] said and emphasize that God is love, and love is about relationship. Saying "God is love" doesn't make as much sense if you are not speaking of God as Triune.

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1734674' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:55 AM']Saying "God is love" doesn't make as much sense if you are not speaking of God as Triune.[/quote]

Huh?

[quote name='bonkers' post='1734691' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:18 AM']Huh?[/quote]

Love doesn't exist by itself, it requires a Lover, a Beloved, and Love.

[quote name='mortify' post='1734695' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:23 AM']Love doesn't exist by itself, it requires a Lover, a Beloved, and Love.[/quote]

:mellow:

If God is truly Love - ontologically speaking - then there must be some communion of true Persons within God's Be-ing. Love - most specifically the highest form of love, charity - is a communion between persons. A single, isolated person cannot experience, let alone give (least of all [i]be[/i]) love.

This is precisely why the Old Testament does not reveal that God is Love itself; without the revelation of the Trinity God can only be expected to - at the absolute most - be lov[i]ing[/i] once the universe is created. And indeed that is just the picture of God we get in the Old Testament. Although in retrospect we can read the Trinity into various passages of the Old Testament, although we can see hints of the revelation to come, until Christ came and revealed this deepest and most essential mystery of our faith there was no conception of God [i]being [/i]Love itself.

Edited by Ziggamafu

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Ziggamafu' post='1734727' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:09 AM']If God is truly Love - ontologically speaking - then there must be some communion of true Persons within God's Be-ing. Love - most specifically the highest form of love, charity - is a communion between persons. A single, isolated person cannot experience, let alone give (least of all [i]be[/i]) love.[/quote]

Which is why the most fundamental difference between Islam and Christianity is the nature of God and the purpose of our lives. Muslims believe we are created to serve God. We believe we are created to love God.

[quote name='mortify' post='1734695' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:23 AM']Love doesn't exist by itself, it requires a Lover, a Beloved, and Love.[/quote]

But it is said the God IS love, but for love to be really love it has to be a choice. The Father didn't choose to love the son, the son didn't choose to be loved, and the love didn't choose to... love, therefore it's not really love.

JM + JT

[quote name='bonkers' post='1734791' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:48 PM']But it is said the God IS love, but for love to be really love it has to be a choice. [i][b]The Father didn't choose to love the son, the son didn't choose to be loved, and the love didn't choose to... love[/b][/i], therefore it's not really love.[/quote]
Err... And how do you know this? Are you God's conscience?

God IS love because He is the perfection of love, and perfect love is always freely given... that's why it's perfect.

And how/why is it that God would give us free will when He Himself does not have that?

[quote name='salterrae' post='1734799' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:57 PM']JM + JT

Err... And how do you know this? Are you God's conscience?

God IS love because He is the perfection of love, and perfect love is always freely given... that's why it's perfect.

And how/why is it that God would give us free will when He Himself does not have that?[/quote]

Because it is said gods free will doesn't include choosing his own characteristics. i.e. he can't choose to be evil, or be anything other than what he is and always has been. If god the father didn't choose to love the god the son, then it follows logically that he doesn't really love him in the true, genuine sense, because love is always a free choice.

Edited by bonkers

That is an over simplification of the divine will. God does not need to choose love for it to be true love because his nature is love. As the highest being it would be contradictory to have a nature that is love and choose that which is not love. Even if we do not choose to be loved by God, God still loves us. We though can choose, in time, whether to love God or others, God is not bound by time, nor is he bound by choice. As his nature is eternal and not bound by time choice in this human sense does not apply and it remains that the love of the Father and the Son and the begetting of the Holy Spirit remain true love in its very highest form.

(and yes, that was a simplification of a very complex philosophy and theology)

Edited by Brother Adam