An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Trinity - The Devil's Doctrine

reyb

JM + JT

[quote name='Socrates' post='1734597' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:01 PM']"Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them [b]in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.[/b]" ~ Matthew 28:19[/quote]
I really do think that sums it up. :detective:

Edited by salterrae

[quote name='Socrates' post='1734597' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:01 PM']"Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them [b]in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.[/b]" ~ Matthew 28:19[/quote]

[quote name='salterrae' post='1735289' date='Dec 25 2008, 02:27 PM']JM + JT

I really do think that sums it up. :detective:[/quote]

[indent]What do you think it means (this verse)?[/indent]

Galloglasses' Alt

I think that verse is telling us to evangelise and baptise all nations in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

JM + JT

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1735372' date='Dec 25 2008, 07:45 PM']I think that verse is telling us to evangelise and baptise all nations in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.[/quote]
... to be "born again" in the One (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) who created us.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1735274' date='Dec 25 2008, 02:40 PM'][i]It is possible.[/i] You're still working on the assumption that he is when there is no evidence that he is. He doesn't mention it at all, according to you, but you've picked out a line in one book in the entire Bible and since it happens to use the word 'mystery,' you pretend it has something to do with refuting the "new" idea of the Trinity.

If it's newer than the quote in question, then Paul isn't refuting it. Thank you for making my argument.[/quote]

[indent]Since both of us are just ‘assuming’ why Apostle Paul did not directly refute this doctrine of the Holy Trinity, we should not judge that he is against or pro this doctrine of Holy Trinity although both of us have our own but different reason or reasons to embrace and to condemn this doctrine.

So therefore we agree on this - Apostle Paul did not mention about this doctrine of the Holy Trinity (If you have anything in your mind please do it whenever you like it). I have a feeling that Apostle Paul did not refute this doctrine in all his letters because during his time this doctrine is not yet in existence thus it is impossible for him to do it. Otherwise he missed it (meaning, he did not see this doctrine and I do not think your early church fathers are greater than Apostle Paul). [/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1735203' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:32 AM'][indent]While it is true that the writer of the book of 1 John said ‘God is love’ (in 1 John 4:8) but he never mentioned that the revelation of the trinity causes him to say ‘God is love’. But rather he said ‘[color="#FF0000"]Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love’. [/color](1 John 4:7-8). Meaning, he give emphasis or conclusion to the first statement -for example we can say, 'if you know how to love then you know God because ‘God is love’. Thus, I may say when he said ‘God is love’ it has nothing to do with the idea of the trinity.[/indent][/quote]

You missed the point of my two posts entirely: if God is Love then there must exist multiple Persons within his one divine essence. For a singular entity to BE Love, there must somehow exist a plurality of Persons within that entity.

Otherwise, the most you can say about God is that He became loving after He created the universe.

Which position do you take?

All you have to do is either say:

a) God is not Love; God merely became loving upon creating the universe.

OR

b) God is Love; [insert demonstration of how [i]actual [/i]love can exist when there is only one person with nothing else in existence besides that person]

Which is it? At this point it would be extremely dishonest of you not to bite the bullet, make the choice, and defend your decision.

I'll be waiting...

[quote name='reyb' post='1735446' date='Dec 25 2008, 08:33 PM']Since both of us are just ‘assuming’ why Apostle Paul did not directly refute this doctrine of the Holy Trinity, we should not judge that he is against or pro this doctrine of Holy Trinity although both of us have our own but different reason or reasons to embrace and to condemn this doctrine.[/quote]
You're assuming he's refuting something not mentioned in the text. You have no grounds for your interpretation.

We haven't reached the agreement stage.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1735527' date='Dec 25 2008, 10:55 PM']You're assuming he's refuting something not mentioned in the text. You have no grounds for your interpretation.

We haven't reached the agreement stage.[/quote]

[indent]
Okay. (We haven't reached the agreement stage.)
Did you see anything (in Apostle Paul's letter) regarding 'hint or proof' of the doctrine of Holy Trinity?[/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1735568' date='Dec 25 2008, 10:15 PM'][indent]
Okay. (We haven't reached the agreement stage.)
Did you see anything (in Apostle Paul's letter) regarding 'hint or proof' of the doctrine of Holy Trinity?[/indent][/quote]
Where do you get the idea it's a refutation?

[quote name='Winchester' post='1735583' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:27 PM']Where do you get the idea it's a refutation?[/quote]
[indent]
What do you mean, when Apostle Paul said 'Christ is the mystery of God'?[/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1735596' date='Dec 25 2008, 10:39 PM'][indent]
What do you mean, when Apostle Paul said 'Christ is the mystery of God'?[/indent][/quote]
Go back and reread what I posted. It's there and unchanged and you still haven't addressed it.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1735623' date='Dec 25 2008, 11:42 PM']Sometimes authors don't mention things because they are too obvious, generally accepted, to bother repeating.[/quote]
Is your name reyB?