An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Supposed To Say When...

Christie_M

Hey Pham I've got a problem.
My younger sister, who will soon be turning 16, is putting herself on a 1,000 calorie a day diet. She's 5'4" 120lbs and already thin (or athletic) and wants to loose weight for her birthday.

Before she even started this rediculous diet she was hardly eating anything good. mostly sweetened cereals, white bread with lots of Miracle whip (not the crust) and no meat unless it doesn't have fat. Mostly a carb and sugar diet I guess.

This is concerning me and I spoke to my dad about it earlier and he's going to try and do something, but he's very sick and can't do much but curl up with pain. I'll attempt to speek with my mom later (wish me luck on that. there's no winning when it comes to me)

:(
What am I supposed to do? She absolutly WONT listen to me and even yells at me when i try to talk to her (about anything now)

I am at a loss...

Saint Therese

I would talk to your pastor. And maybe have him speak to your sister, with your parents.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1757061' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:37 PM']I would talk to your pastor. And maybe have him speak to your sister, with your parents.[/quote]

That would be a good idea only she won't come with me to church.

[quote name='icelandic_iceskater' post='1757081' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:49 PM']could you talk to her friends? would she listen to them?

prayers for your sis :ohno:[/quote]

I haven't thought of talking to them, but it's worth a try.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1757094' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:55 PM']Who does she listen to?

Friends, doctor, pastor, neighbors, teachers, school nurse?[/quote]

That's the problem. She doesn't listen to [i]anyone.[/i]
Sometimes she'll [i]consider[/i] what my parents will say, but if it's not something she likes then you'll have more luck having a donkey plow the farm.
She likes her freinds enough and wants to be like them, but she doesn't get the fact that they are 4inches shorter, so naturaly they're slightly skinnier then she is.

She's the most stubborn independent person I've ever known.

cmotherofpirl

Aunts, uncles, older relations? Her friends parents amybe? They always had more effect on my than anything my parents would say.

Does she understand a carb diet is no diet at all? Can you at least get her to read food labels?

Nothing wrong with being stubborn :whistle:

You can go for the really non-subtle. Look up a reputable website on eating disorders, print out a few pages, and leave them in her room.

Unhealthy eating habits can have all sorts of consequences, but if someone who is (mostly) skinny/in shape thinks she has to lose weight, generally there are some unhealthy body image issues. When said person is a 16-yr-old girl...not surprising.

Is she responsible for all her own meals? You can always stop buying sugary cereal, make healthy dinners, tell her she has to eat her meat, etc. Not saying you have to treat her like a toddler, but still, there has to be some way to reign in these choices a bit.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1757119' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:10 PM']Nothing wrong with being stubborn :whistle:

You can go for the really non-subtle. Look up a reputable website on eating disorders, print out a few pages, and leave them in her room.

Unhealthy eating habits can have all sorts of consequences, but if someone who is (mostly) skinny/in shape thinks she has to lose weight, generally there are some unhealthy body image issues. When said person is a 16-yr-old girl...not surprising.

Is she responsible for all her own meals? You can always stop buying sugary cereal, make healthy dinners, tell her she has to eat her meat, etc. Not saying you have to treat her like a toddler, but still, there has to be some way to reign in these choices a bit.[/quote]
true, if its not there she can't eat it...

I felt my ears burning.

My first recommendation would be Overeaters Anonymous. I know that sounds ridiculous, but they have sections that are just for anorexics/bulimics. Call the local 211 number, and ask for anorexics out patient groups. That may sound drastic, but the amount of damage that she can do to her body, at that age, can be permanent. I don't believe in shooting flies with shotguns, but this isn't a fly, it's a bear. The teen years set the stage for things like osteoporosis, fertility, and even brain development. If this was my child, I would be hitting the panic button. I've sat in rooms with anorexics, it is a very scary illness, and the farther they get into it before getting help, the harder the help becomes.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1757129' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:20 PM']I felt my ears burning.

My first recommendation would be Overeaters Anonymous. I know that sounds ridiculous, but they have sections that are just for anorexics/bulimics. Call the local 211 number, and ask for anorexics out patient groups. That may sound drastic, but the amount of damage that she can do to her body, at that age, can be permanent. I don't believe in shooting flies with shotguns, but this isn't a fly, it's a bear. The teen years set the stage for things like osteoporosis, fertility, and even brain development. If this was my child, I would be hitting the panic button. I've sat in rooms with anorexics, it is a very scary illness, and the farther they get into it before getting help, the harder the help becomes.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
not to mention heart problems. :sadder: she will be literally slowing killing herself and her body will never heal from the attack.

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1757119' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:10 PM']Nothing wrong with being stubborn :whistle:

Is she responsible for all her own meals? You can always stop buying sugary cereal, make healthy dinners, tell her she has to eat her meat, etc. Not saying you have to treat her like a toddler, but still, there has to be some way to reign in these choices a bit.[/quote]

Mostly everyone fends for themselves when it comes to meals. Dad and me have made nice meals, but the only ones that eat it is me and dad and the left overs are in the fridge untill it molds.
And since I don't buy the food, my sister gets to talk my mom into buying what she wants...even when I'm pleading my case. <_<

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1757120' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:11 PM']true, if its not there she can't eat it...[/quote]

I think her record for not eating is 2 days.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1757129' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:20 PM']I felt my ears burning.

My first recommendation would be Overeaters Anonymous. I know that sounds ridiculous, but they have sections that are just for anorexics/bulimics. Call the local 211 number, and ask for anorexics out patient groups. That may sound drastic, but the amount of damage that she can do to her body, at that age, can be permanent. I don't believe in shooting flies with shotguns, but this isn't a fly, it's a bear. The teen years set the stage for things like osteoporosis, fertility, and even brain development. If this was my child, I would be hitting the panic button. I've sat in rooms with anorexics, it is a very scary illness, and the farther they get into it before getting help, the harder the help becomes.[/quote]

I actually called her anorexic once (it totally slipped out durring an argument) and I think that that is my problem, that she's holding a grudge?

I talked to both my mom and dad about an hour ago and it did not go well. My mom totally shot me down and said that she used to do that when she was her age...and to just wait it out.

+J.M.J.+
i know a girl who (a year ago) was where your sister was. basically all she ate were salads and pb sammiches. now she IS anorexic. and she knows it and wants out. i beg of you, get your sister help now. it will only get worse and spiral out of control.

i pray your mom realizes how big a deal this is.