An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Supposed To Say When...

Christie_M

Which, I guess, I a good thing I don't have a great relationship with mine.

I'm going to see what she does for tomorrow. maybe she'll "cheet" and not follow it for a day (she's not one to commit to something for longer then necesarry)

best of luck with this! i had a friend who was bulimic. she came to me about it though, and i just tried to help her get out of of. not sure what i would do if they didnt want t know about a problem.

maybe get your dad to say something about men being attracted to girls who arent super skinny, make comparisons with celebrities she knows, i dont know

Edited by Jesus_lol

dauntingknight

I knew of a father who came home and made his daughter eat a big steak that had some fat on it and also put some sauce down too.
Could work with your father doing it. :detective:

Edited by dauntingknight

princessgianna

hey Christi
So sorry to hear about your sister!
All i can offer you right now is prayers.
and a *hug* :console:

God Bless
Gianna

eagle_eye222001
:sign:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/santana/track/into+the+night+(feat.+chad+kroeger)"]Santana - Into the Night (feat. Chad Kroeger)[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

its funny because if she ate a 2000 cal diet with fish, chicken and tuna in it she would lose weight faster than her idea. all her idea will do is cause her to lose weight through muscle mass but still gain fat from all that sugar.

best wishes trying to talk some sense into her.

princessgianna

[quote name='havok579257' post='1757855' date='Jan 21 2009, 04:31 PM']its funny because if she ate a 2000 cal diet with fish, chicken and tuna in it she would lose weight faster than her idea. all her idea will do is cause her to lose weight through muscle mass but still gain fat from all that sugar.

best wishes trying to talk some sense into her.[/quote]
really. :huh: That gives me an idea because i want to lose some extra weight and want to do it in a healthy way (by exercising and not drinking soda don't know how I am going get by without my code red though I ll survive! :topsy:

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1757866' date='Jan 21 2009, 05:08 PM']really. :huh: That gives me an idea because i want to lose some extra weight and want to do it in a healthy way (by exercising and not drinking soda don't know how I am going get by without my code red though I ll survive! :topsy:[/quote]

if you mantain a healthy diet of 2000 to 2500 cals per day and keep sugar and fats low(remeber you need some fat) and exercise 3 times a week you will lose weight the healthy way. you can still have soda, just account for those calories and cut out other snacks throughout the day so you end up between 2000 and 2500 cals a day, but not less then 2000 cals a day because then your body starts to eat its own muscle in a form of self presevation since muscle has lots of calories in them and that is what your body needs to live.

• 4 weeks later...
Domine ut Videam

How is your sister doing?

If things are still the same I beg you to ask someone else for help with her. A teacher would be good, or priest. Trust me, when I was 16 I too decided it would be a good idea to starve myself to lose some weight and I did. I got down to 112 lbs on a 5'7" frame. No one ever said anything to me, I never got help. Today, I am physically "healthy," but emotionally and mentally I am a wreak. Everyday I have to fight off the negative eating disordered thoughts.

The longer it goes on the harder it is to escape. Please help her. The worst that can happen is that it turns out it wasn't really a problem.

Totus Tuus Maria,
Lauren

dominicansoul

i think you need to pray "Mary, take over!"

Really, beg Our Holy Mother to take this situation upon Herself and resolve it...

When I pray to Our Lady in this manner, She always intercedes so powerfully and things get done! (prayers get answered!)

I will pray for your sister... :sign:

[quote name='havok579257' post='1757896' date='Jan 21 2009, 04:36 PM']if you mantain a healthy diet of 2000 to 2500 cals per day and keep sugar and fats low(remeber you need some fat) and exercise 3 times a week you will lose weight the healthy way. you can still have soda, just account for those calories and cut out other snacks throughout the day so you end up between 2000 and 2500 cals a day, but not less then 2000 cals a day because then your body starts to eat its own muscle in a form of self presevation since muscle has lots of calories in them and that is what your body needs to live.[/quote]

You need at least 1,000 calories to sustain bodily functions. Most physicians recommend a diet that falls between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day (this is for women anyways) for weight loss. Of course, it all depends on your situation. If I ate 2,500 calories a day it wouldn't be pretty ;)

Also, gaining lean muscle mass and burning fat takes more time because muscle weighs more than fat.

Edited by zabbazooey

[quote name='zabbazooey' post='1783473' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:08 PM']You need at least 1,000 calories to sustain bodily functions. Most physicians recommend a diet that falls between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day (this is for women anyways) for weight loss. Of course, it all depends on your situation. If I ate 2,500 calories a day it wouldn't be pretty ;)

Also, gaining lean muscle mass and burning fat takes more time because muscle weighs more than fat.[/quote]

gaining lean muscle mass and burning fat actualy takes less time then just trying to burn fat. hence why workout programs are now more geared towards resistance training (i.e wieghts) than just running.

1000 calories is needed to maintain the body if all you do is sit around and do nothing. if yoru active at all then you need more.

physicians are not the most reliable source to hear about healthy dieting on. they go by BMI which is the biggest joke in the world. BMI does not account for muscle mass and it pigenhole's every person into a specific catagory. which is not true sicne every person is different. less than 2000 calories with any phsyical activity(which means anything more than sitting on the couch) is not healthy.

if you ate 2000 calroies you would not be fat or big at all. once you realize how much cals are in certain foods, 2000 is not a lot, most of al if you have any treats/snacks.

Edited by havok579257

rose wrought of iron

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1757250' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:33 PM']Mostly everyone fends for themselves when it comes to meals. Dad and me have made nice meals, but the only ones that eat it is me and dad and the left overs are in the fridge untill it molds.
And since I don't buy the food, my sister gets to talk my mom into buying what she wants...even when I'm pleading my case. <_<[/quote]

Try encouraging family meals - maybe if they see her not eating it'll click :idontknow:
Parents can be very stubborn when it comes to their children and can easily slip into denial if someone says there's something wrong with their kid.

[quote]I think her record for not eating is 2 days.[/quote]
Wow. I could never do that - If I don't eat for twelve hours I tend to get dizzy/pass out...

[quote]I actually called her anorexic once (it totally slipped out durring an argument) and I think that that is my problem, that she's holding a grudge?

I talked to both my mom and dad about an hour ago and it did not go well. My mom totally shot me down and said that she used to do that when she was her age...and to just wait it out.[/quote]
I really hope I don't sound rude, but I can't think of any other way to say this; I highly doubt that your mother was surrounded by media attacks like girls are today and there is the possibility that she doesn't understand how hard it is to see yourself as beautiful when everything around you practically screams that you aren't. Try explaining it from that angle - and bring magazines with the airbrushed, unhealthy models in them. Tell her that this is what our society sees as beauty and condemns all else and that your sister is trying to turn herself into that.

Prayers.

:sign:

Edited by rose wrought of iron