An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Supposed To Say When...

Christie_M

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1783063' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:36 PM']How is your sister doing?

If things are still the same I beg you to ask someone else for help with her. A teacher would be good, or priest. Trust me, when I was 16 I too decided it would be a good idea to starve myself to lose some weight and I did. I got down to 112 lbs on a 5'7" frame. No one ever said anything to me, I never got help. Today, I am physically "healthy," but emotionally and mentally I am a wreak. Everyday I have to fight off the negative eating disordered thoughts.

The longer it goes on the harder it is to escape. Please help her. The worst that can happen is that it turns out it wasn't really a problem.

Totus Tuus Maria,
Lauren[/quote]

:)

She went on like this for about a week, but now I think she has improved just a little. She's not counting every calorie, although she's still EXTREMLY picky on what she eats.
I have her on baby feeding duty which means she feeds the baby(2 year old actually) whatever she's eating.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1783077' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:48 PM']i think you need to pray "Mary, take over!"

Really, beg Our Holy Mother to take this situation upon Herself and resolve it...

When I pray to Our Lady in this manner, She always intercedes so powerfully and things get done! (prayers get answered!)

I will pray for your sister... :sign:[/quote]

Thank you :)
Do you recomend any perticular prayers?

[quote name='rose wrought of iron' post='1783798' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:27 PM']Try encouraging family meals - maybe if they see her not eating it'll click :idontknow:
Parents can be very stubborn when it comes to their children and can easily slip into denial if someone says there's something wrong with their kid.

I really hope I don't sound rude, but I can't think of any other way to say this; I highly doubt that your mother was surrounded by media attacks like girls are today and there is the possibility that she doesn't understand how hard it is to see yourself as beautiful when everything around you practically screams that you aren't. Try explaining it from that angle - and bring magazines with the airbrushed, unhealthy models in them. Tell her that this is what our society sees as beauty and condemns all else and that your sister is trying to turn herself into that.

Prayers.

:sign:[/quote]

You're not being rude at all. Thanks for the honesty.
Yes, mom did not have the whole "living in hollywood" thing going on when she was growing up. But she does seem to think that she knows exactly what's going on with my sister since she took psychology in college. <_<
Mom couldn't be further from the truth with most issues, especially this one.
Don't get me wrong, I love them both but these things need to be resolved.

cmotherofpirl

Most psych classes back in the day didn't discuss the psychology of bulimia and anorexia.
What talk shows does your mum watch- Dr. Phil, Oprah etc.?

[url="http://drphil.com/articles/article/385"]http://drphil.com/articles/article/385[/url]