An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Religious Communities - A Poll

AccountDeleted

New Religious Communities  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Frances

While it is good to have experienced Srs involved in starting a new community, it is not always necessary. Every one of the religious communities had to start with lay people, seeking to serve God fully with their lives. We see many religious communites dying especially here in Ireland, swayed by weird ideas and new age influences as well as general apathy. We may well be living in a time where the Lord seeks 'new wine, new wineskins'. I have heard incredibly sad stories about even enclosed orders gone funny...reading weird books and getting involved in strange 'courses'.

But as we can also see many orders both enclosed and apostolic are being renewed and we see this especially in America. The Franciscan Srs and Friars of the Renewal are only one example.

What anyone seeking to start a new religious foundation or association of the faithful (as it starts out as) needs, is a good spiritual director who is rock solid and behind the Church's teaching. A no nonsense approach and complete obedience to the Church is absolute. Also trust in Gods providence and a strong faith in the power of God and what He can do with the most weak vessels.

It is something a friend of mine and I are continually praying about and we seek the guidance of our spiritual director in these matters and also have to be patient. In Gods time, not ours.

:)

[quote name='Gemma' post='1794981' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:37 AM']:wacko: Pardon me, everyone, but I forgot that there is one stage at the very bottom, and those communities being spoken of are likely in that category--"DeFacto Association."

I have emailed a canonist requesting an explanation of the differences between private association of the faithful and the same with the tag "with the intention of becoming an institute of religious life."

Almost seems like "defacto" is a demotion of sorts, in light of the definition of a private association of the faithful.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

I have since learned that "defacto" means "practice." So, a "defacto private association of the faithful with the intention of becoming an institute of religious life" is a group practicing religious life with the intention of becoming an institute.

Blessings,
Gemma

Digitaldame

As someone who has been involved in the process of forming a new community (contemplative Benedictines) I'd add that working closely with the Congregation for Institites of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life (CICLSAL) is essential. All religious communities have either Constitutions (monasteries) or Statutes (apostolic communities) which give a good idea of how sane or otherwise the set-up is.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Frances' post='1800361' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:37 AM']While it is good to have experienced Srs involved in starting a new community, it is not always necessary. Every one of the religious communities had to start with lay people, seeking to serve God fully with their lives. We see many religious communites dying especially here in Ireland, swayed by weird ideas and new age influences as well as general apathy. We may well be living in a time where the Lord seeks 'new wine, new wineskins'. I have heard incredibly sad stories about even enclosed orders gone funny...reading weird books and getting involved in strange 'courses'.

But as we can also see many orders both enclosed and apostolic are being renewed and we see this especially in America. The Franciscan Srs and Friars of the Renewal are only one example.

What anyone seeking to start a new religious foundation or association of the faithful (as it starts out as) needs, is a good spiritual director who is rock solid and behind the Church's teaching. A no nonsense approach and complete obedience to the Church is absolute. Also trust in Gods providence and a strong faith in the power of God and what He can do with the most weak vessels.

It is something a friend of mine and I are continually praying about and we seek the guidance of our spiritual director in these matters and also have to be patient. In Gods time, not ours.

:)[/quote]

Your choice of the Franciscans of the Renewal is an good example of already experienced religious choosing to start new communities. Mother Teresa and Mother Angelica are other good examples of religious who left to do this. They have all been very successful too.

Although lay people with no experience "can" start new communities (witness Sr Rosalind), it definitely is much harder for them in the beginning because of their lack of experience. There has been a tradition in the past, which I support, of non-religious founders/resses spending their canonical Novitate year with another community (or at least under their direction), in order to learn how to live the evangelical counsels in community. It is kind of like a "jump-start" to help the community

In all cases, you are right of course - God's providence is required but, as Father Nelson (National Director of the IRL) told me in person -- most new communities only survive for five years or less. And hundreds of them start!!

Yes, established communities can and do go "funny" sometimes, but that is often why some of the religious in those communities will feel a calling to leave and form/reform a community.

Gemma has provided some very valuable information and resources for those wishing to start new communities, but not every new community is going to succeed - it is just that simple. That is why the Bishops don't usually jump with joy at people who approach them, wanting to do just that. They like to see how things proceed first. Sr Rosalind had a definite advantage in being so well-known in Catholic circles - this is one of her strengths. But her new Archbishop may even want to see more progress from her (in terms of numbers) before giving his approval - so this is a good time for her to take things slowly and make sure that the foundations are all in place, including her own religious formation. After all, there's no hurry.

[quote name='nunsense' post='1800508' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:45 PM']Although lay people with no experience "can" start new communities (witness Sr Rosalind), it definitely is much harder for them in the beginning because of their lack of experience. There has been a tradition in the past, which I support, of non-religious founders/resses spending their canonical Novitate year with another community (or at least under their direction), in order to learn how to live the evangelical counsels in community. It is kind of like a "jump-start" to help the community[/quote]
Another example, correct me if I'm wrong nunsense, is the Sisters of Life.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='shortnun' post='1800644' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:00 PM']Another example, correct me if I'm wrong nunsense, is the Sisters of Life.[/quote]

I don't know their history - enlighten me please! Was their foundress from another community? I like their habits, and their ministry!

InHisLove726

[quote name='nunsense' post='1800673' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:38 PM']I don't know their history - enlighten me please! Was their foundress from another community? I like their habits, and their ministry![/quote]

The Sisters of Life were founded in 1991 by John Cardinal O'Connor after he visited a concentration camp in Dachau, Poland. To read their amazing history, go here:

[url="http://www.sistersoflife.org/history.html"]http://www.sistersoflife.org/history.html[/url]

Their first and current Mother Superior is Mother Agnes Mary Donovan, SV. Their initials, "SV", are for "Sorores Vitae" or, translated, Sisters of Life. :)

I met a few of them at a retreat and, earlier on, I discerned with them (though I never visited them in person). Their Vocation Director, Sr. Mary Gabriel, SV, is the Sister who grabbed my attention to discern through her active example. But, I received a phone call from one of her assistants and we discerned that it was not my vocation, but the assistant (Sr. Mary Kateri) really helped me and she suggested I look elsewhere. :D

Edited by InHisLove726

AccountDeleted

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1800690' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:00 PM']The Sisters of Life were founded in 1991 by John Cardinal O'Connor after he visited a concentration camp in Dachau, Poland. To read their amazing history, go here:

[url="http://www.sistersoflife.org/history.html"]http://www.sistersoflife.org/history.html[/url]

Their first and current Mother Superior is Mother Agnes Mary Donovan, SV. Their initials, "SV", are for "Sorores Vitae" or, translated, Sisters of Life. :)

I met a few of them at a retreat and, earlier on, I discerned with them (though I never visited them in person). Their Vocation Director, Sr. Mary Gabriel, SV, is the Sister who grabbed my attention to discern through her active example. But, I received a phone call from one of her assistants and we discerned that it was not my vocation, but the assistant (Sr. Mary Kateri) really helped me and she suggested I look elsewhere. :D[/quote]

Thank you. This impressed me as very sensible...

[i]"The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia and the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma provided our first novice director, Sr. (now Mother) Assumpta Long, O.P., and assistant novice director, Sr. Yvonne Mary Loucks, RSM. They remained with us for one year before Mother Agnes Mary was missioned as Superior General on August 22, 1993. "[/i]

They started with the help of established and experienced sisters! This is almost a vital necessity in my opinion, especially if the founder/ress has no experience in religious life. And their success is a testimony to their formation. Well done.

InHisLove726

[quote name='nunsense' post='1800702' date='Mar 8 2009, 07:15 PM']Thank you. This impressed me as very sensible...

[i]"The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia and the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma provided our first novice director, Sr. (now Mother) Assumpta Long, O.P., and assistant novice director, Sr. Yvonne Mary Loucks, RSM. They remained with us for one year before Mother Agnes Mary was missioned as Superior General on August 22, 1993. "[/i]

They started with the help of established and experienced sisters! This is almost a vital necessity in my opinion, especially if the founder/ress has no experience in religious life. And their success is a testimony to their formation. Well done.[/quote]

Huh! I forgot about that! :topsy: Yes, they are a VERY strong order now and are receiving A LOT of vocations! Like I said, I've met some of them (as well as the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal) and, like the CFRs, they are ON FIRE for God! :)

[quote name='shortnun' post='1800644' date='Mar 8 2009, 05:00 PM']Another example, correct me if I'm wrong nunsense, is the Sisters of Life.[/quote]
Sorry, I think I had you confused with someone else who had been in formation with them for a while. :wacko:

[quote name='nunsense' post='1800702' date='Mar 8 2009, 06:15 PM']Thank you. This impressed me as very sensible...

They started with the help of established and experienced sisters! This is almost a vital necessity in my opinion, especially if the founder/ress has no experience in religious life. And their success is a testimony to their formation. Well done.[/quote]
Exactly--a group of lay women who had the aid of experienced sisters to help with formation etc.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the Pole Nunsense.The yearning of Catholics today to enter into a deeper and richer relationship with God appears to me to be the work of the Holy Spirit , both in the life of the Church, and the individual. This longing is not one of a half-hearted effert, but one of sincere. loving, selfless giving and dedication to living Religious Life.

One of the things I've paid attention to,in new communities, among other things is the age of the foundress. Age being an issue for those over the ages of 35 to 40 who really believe God is calling them to live Religious Life. Though there are pitfalls for the more mature candidate, this call is no less valid.(In my mind, there are more pitfalls for those who try to commit when they are 18 yrs of age with no life experience and have not had a chance to reach emotional and psychological maturity.)

Another thing I've noticed is that Communities who seem to be committed to the original Charism and Vision of their Founders, regardless of the Order, even thought they have made adaptations and perhaps expanded their ministries, have done very well.This goes for established and newly forming communities. Part of this commitment includes faithfulness to private and communal prayer, or extending their daily prayer life to include the Liturgy of the Hours in it's fuller dimension. I was just looking at this recently, and orders who have pretty much given up much of their original Charism, and emphasized more social justice issues, have pursued personal vs communal goals, have not attracted new members. Maybe they have fulfilled their usefulness and place in the church, and will just naturally die off. Perhaps the swinging wide of the doors after Vatican II has reached the point where the pendulum is swinging back to the middle, and in balance these days. This is just my personal reflection.

On a purely practical note, even established communities who are trying to expand and start new foundations in new locations do not have it easy. One huge issue is the lack of financial funding and resources, especially in today's economy. Another issue is the lack of personnel resources, ie Liturgists, Musicians, skilled resources needed to just maintain a household, building, chapel, car . . ..

TeresaBenedicta

A very interesting poll... Didn't see this when it originally surfaced. I'll have to think about my own opinion for a while. But I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's response thus far.

I haven't read everyone's responses but I have discerned with a brand new community. I obviously didn't stay with them but it wasn't because it was new... this new community had everything that I wanted in a community: their prayer life, their desire for apostolate, (even thought their habits were still in the cross over stage from the beige habits they used to wear) etc. There was only one finally professed sister and 6 temporarily professed sisters. This community? You know them as the Sisters of Life.