An Old School Catholic Message Board

Frustrated With An Agnostic(a Story)

havok579257

[quote name='bonkers' post='1797999' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:21 AM']Well, to be honest, I've seen it questioned on another Catholic board as to why Catholics leave the church and become atheists, and the prevailing consenus is because of "ignorance" ...[/quote]

[quote]I find Catholics both interesting and perplexing to debate, perplexing that intelligent people could believe in the things they do without question.[/quote]

My word, you are just full of stereotypes today

[quote]This isn't boring, it's ever more fascinating we are here without an omnipotent bully dictating everything and threatening us with eternal torture if we choose not to be his friend.[/quote]
Boring. This is a boring argument, but it is used ad nauseum by your side. Blah blah blah. Seriously man, this poo turns brains into mush. Don't use it.

[quote]God probably does not exist.[/quote]
Ahh! Finally something interesting! Probability. Probability is something I can understand. It's tangible. A method to its madness. I'm a betting man, what would you say the odds are? How did you calculate these odds? I am Intrigued. :detective:

Edited by notardillacid

[quote name='havok579257' post='1797591' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:05 PM']And one of the most frustrating things about atheists is they think they are all smarter than christians because they don't believe in so called "fairy tales", they believe in reality and we low level thinking christians are not smart because we believe where there is not 100% evidence of something. Although they then discount the fact that there is not proof of human evoultion or how the earth came to be. yet, they ignore those things are just think we are below them because we can't see the truth only they see.[/quote]

I don't think atheists believe they are smarter than christians, though I think for the majority of people they go through life believing whatever their parents believe. Regardless, there are obviously some very smart people who believe in some very odd things, and they span all kinds of religions and sometimes even cults. It almost seems as if intelligence is independent from religious beliefs, and it's something other than intelligence driving our search for truth and meaning. I think people in general treat others as on an inferior level if they believe in something different to what they believe.

[quote name='bonkers' post='1797999' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:21 AM']Well, to be honest, I've seen it questioned on another Catholic board as to why Catholics leave the church and become atheists, and the prevailing consenus is because of "ignorance"...

I find Catholics both interesting and perplexing to debate, perplexing that intelligent people could believe in the things they do without question.[/quote]

[quote name='bonkers' post='1798004' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:36 AM']I don't think atheists believe they are smarter than christians[/quote]
Reconcile these statements, if you will

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1798003' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:35 AM']Boring. This is a boring argument, but it is used ad nauseum by your side. Blah blah blah. Seriously man, this poo turns brains into mush. Don't use it.[/quote]

As I said, it's not supposed to be entertaining, rather this is about truth and "fairy tales". It's a good argument, but I'd question whether it's an argument or actual observation, as the only questionable element of the statement would be whether god is a bully or just a jerk. :P

[quote]Ahh! Finally something interesting! Probability. Probability is something I can understand. It's tangible. A method to its madness. I'm a betting man, what would you say the odds are? How did you calculate these odds? Intrigued, I am. :detective:[/quote]

I don't know about the odds, but I'd say they are slim for the existence of god. Basically, if you analyse the claims made by all the religions, compare and contrast them with the available evidence, hold them up to scrutiny and investigate them scientifically, objecitvely and always dispassionately, all the claims lose all credibility and any common sense. They basically lack that fundmentally important ingredient that is so vitally important in any truth claim, especially claims to the ultimate truth, evidence.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1798007' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:43 AM']Reconcile these statements, if you will[/quote]

Um, I just said admitted some religious believers were intelligent, and furthmore that religious beliefs appear to be independent of intelligence. Maybe you should read more carefully, if you will

[quote name='havok579257' post='1797196' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:04 AM'][snip]

Plus she said if Jesus was real he would just come down to earth, prove himself to everyone and then go back up to heaven.

[snip][/quote]

What do you think He did 2,000 years ago? A publicity stunt?

:rolleyes:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1797273' date='Mar 4 2009, 01:21 PM']There are some people in life who just refuse to be confused with the truth. They can be as frustrating to talk to as pro-choice Catholics.[/quote]

NO!

Nothing.

Nothing...

[font="Tahoma"][b][color="#483D8B"][size=7]NOTHING![/size][/color][/b][/font]

Is more frustrating than talking to pro-life (aka read, 'unfaithful') Catholics!

[i][size=1](and that was my little rant for today. I'm off to confession now. thank you and keep the faith)[/size][/i]

Edited by Didacus

[quote name='Hassan' post='1797328' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:12 PM']She could explain that away as a hallucination. Absolute certainty simply does not exist.

[snip][/quote]

Really, certainty does not exist? I wonder what the martyrs and saints would have to say about that?

LouisvilleFan

I think all of you that get frustrated over these atheists, agnostics, and pro-choice Catholics are letting yourselves get frustrated.

Nihil Obstat

As an aside, I'm not exactly sure how you connect "the earth is more than six thousand years old", "evolution is almost certainly true" and "God doesn't exist."

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1797963' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:11 AM']Thanks for that summary of me. Its like you know me better than I do. :lol:

In actuality, I've known a disproportionate amount of atheists/agnostics/anti-christians, and debated them to the death. I've heard all of your arguments, and quite frankly, atheists bore me.[/quote]

Most atheist/agnostic writters bore me too. The problem is no matter how much more exciting religious writters are I have seen little to know evidence there is any validity to their assertions.

[quote]Life does not spring from non-living matter. THAT is science! Organisms did not spring from a primordial sludge that was struck by lightning at the opportune moment and somehow infuse life into a super-simple single cell organism (which had somehow created its 'shell' and inner mechanisms so that the lightning had something to strike of course). This organism did not reproduce rapidly enough to a population great enough that they could fa[i]r[/i]t out enough oxygen that the entire atmosphere was changed (coincidently of course) to an environment that could sustain life as we know it. These organisms didn't then evolve to breathe oxygen, and turn into cows which promptly evolved into whales. All of this was driven by a supercomputer, the likes of which humans cannot even come close. Naturally, somehow this supercomputer also created itself to be ready to go when the magic lightning struck the lifeless Frankenstein single cell corpse.[/quote]

What in god's name are you talking about?

[quote]Disrespect breeds contempt, Hassan. Keep it up.[/quote]

You asked me to provide evidence against religion, I have. Whether that evidence is soubd is debatable but I have provided it. Do you have any evidence for the validity of Catholicism?

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1797963' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:11 AM']Thanks for that summary of me. Its like you know me better than I do. :lol:

In actuality, I've known a disproportionate amount of atheists/agnostics/anti-christians, and debated them to the death. I've heard all of your arguments, and quite frankly, atheists bore me.[/quote]

Most atheist/agnostic writters bore me too. The problem is no matter how much more exciting religious writters are I have seen little to know evidence there is any validity to their assertions.

[quote]Life does not spring from non-living matter. THAT is science! Organisms did not spring from a primordial sludge that was struck by lightning at the opportune moment and somehow infuse life into a super-simple single cell organism (which had somehow created its 'shell' and inner mechanisms so that the lightning had something to strike of course). This organism did not reproduce rapidly enough to a population great enough that they could fa[i]r[/i]t out enough oxygen that the entire atmosphere was changed (coincidently of course) to an environment that could sustain life as we know it. These organisms didn't then evolve to breathe oxygen, and turn into cows which promptly evolved into whales. All of this was driven by a supercomputer, the likes of which humans cannot even come close. Naturally, somehow this supercomputer also created itself to be ready to go when the magic lightning struck the lifeless Frankenstein single cell corpse.[/quote]

What in god's name are you talking about?

[quote]Disrespect breeds contempt, Hassan. Keep it up.[/quote]

You asked me to provide evidence against religion, I have. Whether that evidence is soubd is debatable but I have provided it. Do you have any evidence for the validity of Catholicism?

[quote name='Didacus' post='1798016' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:10 AM']Really, certainty does not exist? I wonder what the martyrs and saints would have to say about that?[/quote]

I should correct that, justified certainty does not exist.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1798026' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:34 AM']I think all of you that get frustrated over these atheists, agnostics, and pro-choice Catholics are letting yourselves get frustrated.[/quote]

Our frustrationstems from care towards those to whom we speak.

I love my kids, but they frustrate me to no ends when they don't listen, do their beds, bursh their teeth ect...

If I didn't love my kids, I wouldn't care if they did those things or not, and I wouldn't be frustrated with them in the least. But I know those things are good for them, and in loving them, I want those good things to be theirs and it frustrates me to no ends when they refuse the good that I painstakingly propose to them with all my heart.

Truly, being a parent provides an image of how God works, and thank God for that, thank God for children (each a blessing), and thank God for those agnostics and everyone. Gotta love 'em all, and we do, but love, real love, ain't easy, nor always fun. It can be, and I think it should be expected that at times it will be, frustrating.

(would the above be a good addition for the phatmass book?)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Didacus' post='1798059' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:39 AM']Our frustrationstems from care towards those to whom we speak.[/quote]

Maybe in some cases. I think others are afraid to face a challenge, lack an understanding of their own faith, are afraid they might be wrong, or simply don't like that someone disagrees with them. I think in many cases, visible frustration communicates desperation: "I have nothing reasonable left to say, so I'm just gonna get angry."