An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Your Team Won't Win The Stanley Cup

XIX

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1833618' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:25 AM']Both Calgary and Edmonton have always seemed to find a way to put the will of the entire nation of Canada on their back and blow away the expectation.

I know Detroit's been on the wrong end of that a few times in the last decade.

I always loved the intensity that the Flames and Oilers play with (sorry Vancouver fans, not you)[/quote]
I love the intensity as well, which is why I'm disappointed with them lately. Something doesn't seem to click in too many games. They're not very consistent.

Do you remember the run where we got to the finals? The year before we still sucked. We only just made it into the playoffs. We need to get the underdog spirit back.

If I remember correctly, the last year the Flames made the finals, they beat my Red Wings in the 2nd round. I think they ultimately lost the the Hurricanes or the Lightning, one of those teams that geographically doesn't make any sense to be playing hockey.

Despite the statistics, I think the underdog has the best chances to win in Hockey, momentum plays such an important role in a given game and even throughout a 7 game series that a less skilled team can swing it their way and fell the giants.

Edited by SaintOlaf

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='SaintOlaf' post='1833639' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:39 AM']If I remember correctly, the last year the Flames made the finals, they beat my Red Wings in the 2nd round. I think they ultimately lost the the Hurricanes or the Lightning, one of those teams that geographically doesn't make any sense to be playing hockey.

Despite the statistics, I think the underdog has the best chances to win in Hockey, momentum plays such an important role in a given game and even throughout a 7 game series that a less skilled team can swing it their way and fell the giants.[/quote]
It was the Lightning I believe.
They kinda imploded in the final round.

What the problem is, I think, is that all of a sudden they were a huge team again. A real contender. Started getting more money, more skilled players, all that. I think they started to rely more on the skill than on the grit.

They play really well when they play gritty and just go for it. Too often they're not in the last couple seasons.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1833348' date='Apr 12 2009, 11:04 PM']I don't have a team.[/quote]
But you have our pity.

[quote name='XIX' post='1833182' date='Apr 12 2009, 10:43 PM']Only twice has there ever been a Stanley Cup winner that finished outside of the top-6 in the overall NHL standings.[/quote]

Bah, the Flyers will win the Cup.

Edited by Paladin D

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1833792' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:57 AM']Bah, the Flyers will win the Cup.[/quote]
Nope. Flyers will lose in the final round against the Flames.

Good try though.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1833792' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:57 AM']Bah, the Flyers will win the Cup.[/quote]

:ohno:

eagle_eye222001

[b][size=7]GO BLUES!
[/size][/b]
----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/foo+fighters/track/the+pretender"]Foo Fighters - The Pretender[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1833757' date='Apr 13 2009, 07:34 AM']is that you way of saying you're a red wing's fan?[/quote]
It was my polite way of saying hockey is lame. :mellow: