ReinnieR Posted May 8, 2009 Posted May 8, 2009 (edited) I just saw it. It's AWESOME!!! [quote]"An action-packed, epic adventure. Even if you’ve never seen 'Star Trek' before, This movie is for you!" "The first 'Star Trek' for everyone!"[/quote] Scott Mantz - Access Hollywood [quote]“It doesn’t matter if you’ve never seen ‘Star Trek’ because it’s self-contained and so rousing you may hardly be able to contain yourself.” “JJ Abrams’ direction surges with drama and humor and tension.” “’Star Trek’ is such a lift, I left the theater beaming.”[/quote] - Gene Shalit TODAY Edited May 8, 2009 by ReinnieR
sarcasmguy126 Posted May 8, 2009 Posted May 8, 2009 I might see it, looks great, I'm just not a Trekkie, so to speak. Also, it concerns me that Kirk is a skirt-chaser in this one.
Excelsior1027 Posted May 8, 2009 Posted May 8, 2009 [quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1861693' date='May 8 2009, 09:42 AM']I might see it, looks great, I'm just not a Trekkie, so to speak. Also, it concerns me that Kirk is a skirt-chaser in this one.[/quote] Wasn't he always a bit of a skirt-chaser? Anyway, call me cynical, but I'm still worried this [i]Star Trek[/i] won't be, well, enough like [i]Star Trek,[/i] know what I mean? Everybody says there's action, action, action, but is there meaningful drama to back it up, or is it just a shallow movie in that regard?
Archaeology cat Posted May 8, 2009 Posted May 8, 2009 [quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1861698' date='May 8 2009, 02:53 PM']Wasn't he always a bit of a skirt-chaser?[/quote] Almost every episode of TOS has him having some romantic interest. [quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1861698' date='May 8 2009, 02:53 PM']Anyway, call me cynical, but I'm still worried this [i]Star Trek[/i] won't be, well, enough like [i]Star Trek,[/i] know what I mean? Everybody says there's action, action, action, but is there meaningful drama to back it up, or is it just a shallow movie in that regard?[/quote] I know what you mean. Or that it'll mess up the timeline. I mean, they first encounter Romulans in 'Balance of Terror,' I think. And from what little I saw in the preview, it shows a young Kirk driving a car, but he wasn't so great at driving in 'A Piece of the Action'. Though that could just mean that he was unfamiliar with that particular car. Yeah, I'm a Trekkie.
sarcasmguy126 Posted May 8, 2009 Posted May 8, 2009 [quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1861698' date='May 8 2009, 09:53 AM']Wasn't he always a bit of a skirt-chaser? Anyway, call me cynical, but I'm still worried this [i]Star Trek[/i] won't be, well, enough like [i]Star Trek,[/i] know what I mean? Everybody says there's action, action, action, but is there meaningful drama to back it up, or is it just a shallow movie in that regard?[/quote] I was under the impression he always was, though I never saw the show much. Other people said he was.
ReinnieR Posted May 9, 2009 Author Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1861705' date='May 8 2009, 11:03 AM'] Almost every episode of TOS has him having some romantic interest. I know what you mean. Or that it'll mess up the timeline. I mean, they first encounter Romulans in 'Balance of Terror,' I think. And from what little I saw in the preview, it shows a young Kirk driving a car, but he wasn't so great at driving in 'A Piece of the Action'. Though that could just mean that he was unfamiliar with that particular car. Yeah, I'm a Trekkie. [/quote] The timeline was altered. The young Kirk is a different Kirk.
Norseman82 Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1861705' date='May 8 2009, 10:03 AM'] Almost every episode of TOS has him having some romantic interest. I know what you mean. Or that it'll mess up the timeline. I mean, they first encounter Romulans in 'Balance of Terror,' I think. And from what little I saw in the preview, it shows a young Kirk driving a car, but he wasn't so great at driving in 'A Piece of the Action'. Though that could just mean that he was unfamiliar with that particular car. Yeah, I'm a Trekkie. [/quote] Yeah, I tell people that I'm going to take a stack of index cards with me to write down all the inconsistencies.
Norseman82 Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='ReinnieR' post='1862299' date='May 9 2009, 12:59 AM']The timeline was altered. The young Kirk is a different Kirk.[/quote] Shush! Don't reveal the ending!
jmjtina Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 i thought it was pretty cool. I loved Kirk! He got his butt kicked throughout the movie and he still managed that cocky grin!
Archaeology cat Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1862313' date='May 9 2009, 06:10 AM']Yeah, I tell people that I'm going to take a stack of index cards with me to write down all the inconsistencies.[/quote] I'm hoping that, with JJ Abrams & Damon Lindelof, it'll be pretty true to things, and a good movie to boot.
Aloysius Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 I saw it Thursday night... it was amazing! I love the original series, and the character dynamics were perfect. though I did NOT like how they did the Kobiyashi Maru... but I can chalk that up to timeline differences, in my mind the way he hacked the computer was always just something that would make things possible, not easy. like Bones once said to Kirk when he had destroyed the Enterprise and stranded them and had said 'my God, what have I done'... and Bones responded "what you had to do, what you always do: turn death into a fighting chance to live."... Kirk should've only been able to make a small tiny tweak to the simulation. but I can chalk it up to his different timeline giving him a different mindset maybe. haha anyway, I think we need to make a spoilers-included thread to discuss, among other things, the ending! oh, and I was thinking about this and the thought just dawned on me... why in blazes didn't they just have William Shatner play Kirk's FATHER?? duuuuh.
Aloysius Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 yep. I loved how there were so many throw-backs to the original series... more than were even in the first original series movies I think... there was even the "danger" music from the original TV series itself mixed in there.... and the one part seems to be a little nod to the idea that the "red shirt" always dies. The Romulans totally fused what they had become by the next generation with what they originally were in TOS... and of course you had the villain as "Nero"... total use of classical figure names typical of a TOS show. and if you ask "is it just action?" I say, decidedly, no. main reason? Spock. the theme of emotions in Spock is totally the way it was in the original series (and I'm 1/2 convinced that Zachary Quinto is actually Leonard Nemoy brought back from the past in real life, he looks soooo real)
Archaeology cat Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 Cool. Definitely going to see it. My husband and I are just debating whether to see this or Wolverine for my birthday, but I think Star Trek might win. Especially if our son gets a vote (he's already a Trekkie )
Apotheoun Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 (edited) It was a good movie, even though it was a bit loud. That said, I prefer the old Star Trek over the 2009 reboot, and really think that they should have just created a movie that didn't recast the original series, but was truly original in itself (i.e., all new characters in a later time frame, perhaps the early 25th century). I have been a Star Trek fan for nearly forty years, and so the original show (with all its sequels and prequels) will always be my favorite. Edited May 9, 2009 by Apotheoun
sarcasmguy126 Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 I dunno...everyone likes the old show, and maybe it's cause I watched all the wrong episodes/movies, but I watched one many years ago that was so boring and full of pure dialogue that my brothers and I turned it off probably 20 mins. into it. I watched some of the original show's pilot on TV last week, and it was alright.
Apotheoun Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1862617' date='May 9 2009, 09:15 AM']I dunno...everyone likes the old show, and maybe it's cause I watched all the wrong episodes/movies, but I watched one many years ago that was so boring and full of pure dialogue that my brothers and I turned it off probably 20 mins. into it. I watched some of the original show's pilot on TV last week, and it was alright.[/quote] I grew up watching the original show, so I will always be attached to it, because it is a part of my childhood, and it was on at a time when there was no other science fiction series (of any quality) on television. I have watched every incarnation of Star Trek that has been presented on television, and I can say quite honestly that I like all the Star Trek TV shows.
Archaeology cat Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1862617' date='May 9 2009, 04:15 PM']I dunno...everyone likes the old show, and maybe it's cause I watched all the wrong episodes/movies, but I watched one many years ago that was so boring and full of pure dialogue that my brothers and I turned it off probably 20 mins. into it. [/quote] Some really good ones (IMHO): Space Seed A Piece of the Action Trouble with Tribbles Amok Time City on the Edge of Forever I, Mudd Shore Leave [quote name='sarcasmguy126' post='1862617' date='May 9 2009, 04:15 PM']I watched some of the original show's pilot on TV last week, and it was alright.[/quote] Which pilot? The original pilot (The Cage/The Menagerie) or the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before)?
Archaeology cat Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1862619' date='May 9 2009, 04:19 PM']I grew up watching the original show, so I will always be attached to it, because it is a part of my childhood, and it was on at a time when there was no other science fiction series (of any quality) on television. I have watched every incarnation of Star Trek that has been presented on television, and I can say quite honestly that I like all the Star Trek TV shows.[/quote] I've not watched enough [i]Enterprise [/i]to give a definite opinion on that one, but I like the rest. We own all of [i]Voyager[/i], and my son loves to watch it.
Apotheoun Posted May 9, 2009 Posted May 9, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1862622' date='May 9 2009, 09:23 AM']I've not watched enough [i]Enterprise [/i]to give a definite opinion on that one, but I like the rest. We own all of [i]Voyager[/i], and my son loves to watch it.[/quote] I like Enterprise, especially the last season of the show. It's the only Star Trek series that I own on DVD in its entirety.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now