An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying Over Someone

Resurrexi

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1868644' date='May 16 2009, 10:56 AM']Somehow I don't recall that on the list of seven sacraments :)[/quote]

The only instance in the entire Bible of "to pray over" is found in the James 5:14-15 where the Sacrament of Extreme Unction was "recommended to the faithful and promulgated by James the Apostle and brother of the Lord." (Council of Trent, Denzinger 908)

CatherineM

I do think there is a big difference between an anointing of the sick and praying over a sick person. I always prayed over my boys when they were hurt or sick, the same Gaelic prayer my father prayed over us:

Dia do do bheannachadh, a linbh. Cuirim thu ar dhion Mhuire is a Mic, Ar dhion Bhride agus a brait, Agus ar dhion De Anocht.

That said, be mindful that [i]parental blessings[/i] are the main exception to the rule that laypeople shouldn't pray over others.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868638' date='May 16 2009, 11:32 AM']Praying over a sick person is a Sacrament. And guess who are the only ones who can do it validly? Priests.[/quote]

Administering the Anointing of the Sick is a sacrament.

I personally find these kinds of threads more offensive (to my dignity and intelligence) than discussing Christopher West's opinion on the Church's definition of sodomy.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1869288' date='May 17 2009, 09:33 AM']Administering the Anointing of the Sick is a sacrament.[/quote]

Yes, it is a Sacrament. It is the Sacrament that St. James discusses when he speaks of the priests "praying over" a sick man. There is no evidence of praying over the sick outside of the administration of Extreme Unction during apostolic times. The other instances in the New Testament of ceremonies similar to praying over to someone are accounts of the administration of Confirmation or of Holy Orders, both of which are administered by bishops.

What about when a preist touches your arm or head turning absolution?
HA!
... I guess that's not praying... it's absolving eh...

It's not really possible for the priest to touch the penitent if there's a screen between the two. In fact, that's why the screen was first mandated: to prevent unchaste touches and other sins against the sixth commandment.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1869344' date='May 17 2009, 09:57 AM']It's not really possible for the priest to touch the penitent if there's a screen between the two. In fact, that's why the screen was first mandated: to prevent unchaste touches and other sins against the sixth commandment.[/quote]

Nice... I didn't know that... learn something everyday here.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1869344' date='May 17 2009, 09:57 AM']It's not really possible for the priest to touch the penitent if there's a screen between the two. In fact, that's why the screen was first mandated: to prevent unchaste touches and other sins against the sixth commandment.[/quote]
Eastern Churches do not have confessionals. The Mystery of Confession is normally celebrated in front of an icon of Christ that is placed near the iconstasis.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1869421' date='May 17 2009, 06:32 PM']Eastern Churches do not have confessionals. The Mystery of Confession is normally celebrated in front of an icon of Christ that is placed near the iconstasis.[/quote]
Interesting. So this may be a silly question, but are you then facing the priest, or the icon, or both?

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1869424' date='May 17 2009, 11:35 AM']Interesting. So this may be a silly question, but are you then facing the priest, or the icon, or both?[/quote]
I bow and face the icon, and the priest normally stands right next to me listening to what I am saying while holding his stole over my head.

When I went to confession in the Byzantine rite/form the priest placed the stole over my head and then during absolution made the sign of the cross over my head (actually hitting my head in the sign of the cross) like half a dozen times (it felt like, I think it was 3?)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1869432' date='May 17 2009, 06:42 PM']I bow and face the icon, and the priest normally stands right next to me listening to what I am saying while holding his stole over my head.[/quote]
Ah, I see. Thanks!

[quote name='Slappo' post='1869436' date='May 17 2009, 06:47 PM']When I went to confession in the Byzantine rite/form the priest placed the stole over my head and then during absolution made the sign of the cross over my head (actually hitting my head in the sign of the cross) like half a dozen times (it felt like, I think it was 3?)[/quote]
:lol: