An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying Over Someone

Resurrexi

RezaMikhaeil

I believe all these charismatic "things", are simply replacements of the sacraments.

We used to recieve the holy spirit in christmation, charismatics now say that the evidence that you have the holy spirit its in speaking in tongues, "baptism of the holy spirit".

We recieve the sacrament of annointing oil, now they replace that with "laying hands".

You tell me what's really going on...

saintwannabe 777

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1868250' date='May 15 2009, 08:29 PM']I believe all these charismatic "things", are simply replacements of the sacraments.

We used to recieve the holy spirit in christmation, charismatics now say that the evidence that you have the holy spirit its in speaking in tongues, "baptism of the holy spirit".

We recieve the sacrament of annointing oil, now they replace that with "laying hands".

You tell me what's really going on...[/quote]

That is not true, baptism of the holy spirit is not a sacrament but a reinforcement of the sacrament of baptism and confirmation. Not every Charismatic has the gift of tongues my friend. Tongues is the least of the gifts. Get your facts straight my dude.

Using the term "baptism of the Holy Spirit" to refer to anything but the Sacrament of Baptism (or Baptism of Blood or Baptism of Desire) is a horrible misapplication of the world. When St. John the Baptist said, "He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost" (Mark 1:8), he was clearly referring to the Sacrament of Baptism, not some phenomenon which was unheard of in Christianity until 20th Century Protestantism.

saintwannabe 777

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868336' date='May 15 2009, 11:09 PM']Using the term "baptism of the Holy Spirit" to refer to anything but the Sacrament of Baptism (or Baptism of Blood or Baptism of Desire) is a horrible misapplication of the world. When St. John the Baptist said, "He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost" (Mark 1:8), he was clearly referring to the Sacrament of Baptism, not some phenomenon which was unheard of in Christianity until 20th Century Protestantism.[/quote]

Ok. Think whatever you want.

saintwannabe 777

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868336' date='May 15 2009, 11:09 PM']Using the term "baptism of the Holy Spirit" to refer to anything but the Sacrament of Baptism (or Baptism of Blood or Baptism of Desire) is a horrible misapplication of the world. When St. John the Baptist said, "He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost" (Mark 1:8), he was clearly referring to the Sacrament of Baptism, not some phenomenon which was unheard of in Christianity until 20th Century Protestantism.[/quote]

saintwannabe 777

KnightofChrist

[quote name='saintwannabe 777' post='1868177' date='May 15 2009, 05:31 PM']Are you serious??? You know what guys. A lot of you on this site continue to insult people like me. Honestly, do it. Continue to do it. I will pray for you.[/quote]

You are taking things far to personally. There is such a thing as debating ideas. This is such a debate, it is not a debate or throwing insults around about people.

saintwannabe 777

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868346' date='May 15 2009, 11:15 PM']It was absolutely necessary to say that three times, wasn't it? :P[/quote]

I didn't mean to :lol_roll: Finally, I've laughed.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868336' date='May 15 2009, 08:09 PM']Using the term "baptism of the Holy Spirit" to refer to anything but the Sacrament of Baptism (or Baptism of Blood or Baptism of Desire) is a horrible misapplication of the world. When St. John the Baptist said, "He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost" (Mark 1:8), he was clearly referring to the Sacrament of Baptism, not some phenomenon which was unheard of in Christianity until 20th Century Protestantism.[/quote]

This was my point! Charismatics use scriptures like that to prove their movement, yet what's interesting is that is the same scripture that we use in regards to the sacrament of baptism. Charismatic Catholics use it to imply both, but it can't be both... it's either one or the other.

Reza

HisChildForever

If we want to unify all Christians, we first have to start with ourselves.

You know what...maybe there isn't any theological and liturgical basis. But there is something to be said for human touch.

There is nothing sinful, nothing bad, nothing negative that comes from praying over someone. If anything there is something that will bring a person closer to God.

I have seen people pray over another person in a great time of need. What is the difference if we say "I will pray for you." and "Let me pray over you." "let me pray with you." Nothing. Except maybe the fact that my hand is on their shoulder. Again, what is more comforting than human touch?

When I pray for someone, I usually say, "Lord, please look over so and so. Please keep them in their love." If I pray over someone which is rare but I still do it once in a while it is the same prayer. Only I am holding them. Nothing wrong with that.
Meg

Edited by picchick

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1868151' date='May 15 2009, 06:54 PM']Good question Resurrexi! But I am sure that you already know where this new practice originates.

:)[/quote]
So you think people praying over a sick person is a new thing?

Praying over a sick person is a Sacrament. And guess who are the only ones who can do it validly? Priests.

Edited by Resurrexi

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868638' date='May 16 2009, 11:32 AM']Praying over a sick person is a Sacrament. And guess who are the only ones who can do it validly? Priests.[/quote]
Somehow I don't recall that on the list of seven sacraments :)