An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying Over Someone

Resurrexi

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1870739' date='May 18 2009, 11:05 PM']Baptism is necessary for salvation.

"Baptism of the Holy Spirit" is not necessary for salvation.[/quote]
The Pentecostal theology underlying the Charismatic movement betrays the anti-sacramentalist nature of this socalled renewal, which is as much a renewal today as the Arian heresy was in the fourth century. There is no such thing as a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" that is distinct from the holy mystery of baptism by which one enters into the Church.

Edited by Apotheoun

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1870751' date='May 19 2009, 02:16 AM']The Pentecostal theology underlying the Charismatic movement betrays the anti-sacramentalist nature of this socalled renewal, which is as much a renewal today as the Arian heresy was in the fourth century. There is no such thing as a "baptism of the Holy Spirit" that is distinct from the holy mystery of baptism by which one enters into the Church.[/quote]

Then call it something else... the Holy Spirit falling, a second Pentecost, or whatever. The Arian heresy denied the Trinity. While many Pentecostals also deny the Trinity, at the root of it is an abuse of Scripture, which is evidenced by their abuse of charismatic gifts. As I said before, good charismatic groups do not pressure anyone to feel like they should perform any kind of gift or do anything. Good Catholic charismatic groups promote orthodoxy, like any good Catholic group of any kind, and orthodoxy is the bottom line.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1870765' date='May 18 2009, 11:32 PM']Then call it something else... the Holy Spirit falling, a second Pentecost, or whatever. The Arian heresy denied the Trinity. While many Pentecostals also deny the Trinity, at the root of it is an abuse of Scripture, which is evidenced by their abuse of charismatic gifts. As I said before, good charismatic groups do not pressure anyone to feel like they should perform any kind of gift or do anything. Good Catholic charismatic groups promote orthodoxy, like any good Catholic group of any kind, and orthodoxy is the bottom line.[/quote]
I see, so renaming the Pentecostal theology that forms the foundation of the "Catholic" Charismatic movement will make it more acceptable. I suppose that that will work for those who are unconcerned about the orthodox doctrine of the Church.

KnightofChrist

There can be no Second Pentecost, to state that there can be is blasphemy. It would also suggest that the True Pentecost had no efficacy.