An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

homeschoolmom

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1881841' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:51 AM']Even in the seminary, it is only required that we wear pants at Mass. We don't have women there, so I do not know what they should wear. But as long as men wore just pants, where is the problem?[/quote]
and a shirt... right? :unsure:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1881813' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:13 PM']May I suggest you limit your list to the most offensive items-- flip flops, tank tops, bra straps, short shorts/mini skirts, spaghetti straps.... and lay off the rest? I think if your list gets too long, people will not listen at all. Just saying.[/quote]

I'm in agreement with HSMom on this point.

In addition, might it be an idea to also talk about inappropriate items of clothing with respect to the amount of skin displayed? I'm aware this is a touchy subject, but perhaps mention of how ideally shoulders and legs (to the knee) should be covered, and a word about necklines too. After all, a very short-sleeved top with a neckline that draps just a little too much to wear on its own in church might do very well with a longer-sleeved, closer-fitting top underneath it (for the ladies). For the gents, perhaps a similar example could be drawn up?

Although you likely have space issues, of course :)

+J.M.J.+
bro adam, i bumped several discussions in the debate table that might help. :unsure:

Meeting with the Holy Father would be a very public (read: high profile) event, which is not the same kind of public event that we attend with family, friends, community. I think that comparison is not gonna convince anyone.

Even Sunday mass...a lot of what is happening is internal (hopefully this is true), not only external. Clothes should be modest and decent, but don't expect everyone to come like they are going to a wedding or something...

Irishsalesian...does that mean you could come shirtless??? :o

[quote name='StColette' post='1881840' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:51 AM']I don't see how Capri's are inappropriate? Could you explain this one?[/quote]

I personally think they look funny on guys

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1881870' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:04 AM']I personally think they look funny on guys[/quote]

lol

Brother Adam

Thank you Lil Red (for the bumps and comments here) & HSmom. You've gotten me off my high horse. I see looking over the thread that I am venting as much as asking for recommendations. I appreciate Terra Firma's comments as well, you have good points. You'd have to be at our parish to fully understand my strong reaction to clothing at Mass. Our readers wear shorts and our ushers jeans and printed t-shirts. Half the time I see more flesh at Mass than at the beach. I can handle all of the students at Steubenville who show up at the 6AM Mass in PJ's better than I can handle our Mass.

I still find jeans & T-shirts hugely distracting, so do all of the families that make up the core of our orthodox conservative Catholics at our parish. Especially when it is so common. You know people aren't even bothering to try.

I still believe we should dress better to receive Jesus in the Eucharist than to meet the Holy Father. The Holy Father is a mere man, Jesus is God.

btw, I agree with Terra Firma that you have to be very delicate when addressing a person's clothing or manner of dress. We had several staff meetings regarding this for when the construction on the Church was completed. The Pastor addressed the issue to the people, which I believe comes across a lot better than a bulletin insert. He also did not mention specific types of clothing (jeans, shorts, etc.) but instead focused upon modestly and the place in which we worship and how we much dress appropriately in that holy place.

Servers, Ushers, greeters, EMHCs, and readers do have a dress code though. The dress code was addressed privately to them at their meetings.

I am in agreement with most everyone. I Think modesty should be the focus.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

How about sign that simply says "The priest doesn't show the top of his thong. Please do the same."

I think that would get the idea across

homeschoolmom

[quote]If you look like you could use one of these:

[img]http://shop.ions.com/ProductImages/furniture/kidpoolacc-animal_ring_frog.gif[/img]

you may not be prepared for this:

[img]http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/eucharist.gif[/img][/quote]

Now I'm just playing....

Brother Adam

Having the pastor address it is the only way to see any wide spread change. Bulletin articles and postings do accomplish some limited good though and that is the limit of my ability to address the parish as a whole instead of individual classes. I've been "hurting feelings" when it is prudent for two years now. I have no problem with that, it works great and some of my closest allies are those who's feelings I had to hurt at one time or another. If my own spiritual director didn't hurt my feelings every time I went to see him I would be no closer to God.

Ideally I would like to see a plaque put up that has some kind of quote to help people realize the sanctity of the place they have entered. In the mean time though it's going to drive me insane if I keep going to Mass and seeing behinds and cleavage spilling out everywhere.

Brother Adam

From the mouth of Mrs. Bro. Adam:

If you're not dressed appropriately enough to meet a President, how can you call yourself dressed appropriately enough to meet the King of Kings?

Brother Adam

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1881887' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:34 AM']Now I'm just playing....[/quote]

I needed that, thank you.