An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

I think you should go positive of what should be encouraged, I think your going to even offend some people over this and I am not sure its worth it, personally. For myself, I have faced this question a lot up at school which is in Newark Archdiocese compared to how I normally dress for my home parish, which is next to the beach in South Jersey. I always worn shorts growing up and never ever got spoken to about them, when it was warm out. So it really was completely normal for me to wear sneaks or jeans or shorts. I will almost never wear suits unless I am ordered to. It just wasn't an issue and still isn't for anyone involved at home. The only time I have ever heard of no shorts or something like what I've read here is up at school. I try to dress nicer up here to for the sole reason not offend people in some parishes but I do wear shorts when its really hot especially the University chapel and even sometimes when I work in my parish on weekends as sacristan its almost unbearable in the summer up North Jersey, so shorts will sometimes get out. I think beach related parishes are almost a different breed of Catholics, I know from my own diocese, its just done little differently.

I think going positive and just encourage care towards modesty and neatness is essential. A list or commandments of THOU SHALL NOT WEAR BLUE PANTS is just unneeded.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1882351' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:11 PM']Huh.

Well.

I'm a little torn in this discussion. On one hand, I definitely think that dressing up for Mass is definitely a good good thing. Even more important is dressing modestly. Most important, I think.

But to label jeans and tennis shoes as inappropriate?

I'm not so sure. I mean, you can look nice while still wearing jeans and a polo or nice blouse.
[b]
I remember going to Mass at Christendom. I was down there for the weekend visiting a friend. Luckily I had remembered to pack my dress pants. But even wearing dress pants and a blouse, I felt completely out of place and judged. Why? Because I was the only female not in a long skirt. The ONLY female.[/b]

And the only reason I packed my dress clothes was because I knew how conservative Christendom was. Any other place, I probably wouldn't have bothered-- it's difficult to pack dress clothes and keep them looking nice. I would've had a good pair of jeans and a nice shirt.[/quote]

That's because skirts or dresses (for girls) for Sunday Mass is part of Christendom's dress code (I'm an alum). I'm sure you also noticed that all the guys wore jackets and ties, too. I'm sure no one was judging you, though. The school is so small that everyone would have known you were visiting and not a student. If I went to visit the school now chances are I wouldn't adhere to their dress code rules. I paid my dues while I was a student. :lol:

Brother Adam

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1882335' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:51 PM']Regarding tennis shoes... maybe you are not to the point of having children with constantly growing feet... It is all I can do to keep them in summer shoes (ie sandals or crocks-- they prefer the latter) and a nice pair of black tennis shoes. Before they wear out, they are outgrown. I can't have NINE pairs of children's shoes going constantly. So, there you go. Tennis shoes it is.

How do you know how she dresses for a date?[/quote]

We have nice shoes and clothes for Mass for the kids. They are handie downs that we received and they will be handed down through all the kids, along with tennis shoes and other casual everyday shoes. Just answering the claim. :)

It all comes back to what I said before - have we really put thought into what we wear to receive King Jesus? I don't see any situation where a pair of jeans at a Sunday or Holy Day Mass does it when we have nicer clothes to wear.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882358' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:23 PM']It all comes back to what I said before - have we really put thought into what we wear to receive King Jesus? I don't see any situation where a pair of jeans at a Sunday or Holy Day Mass does it when we have nicer clothes to wear.[/quote]

But we're receiving the same King when/if we go to daily Mass. Yet there is not the same expectation. Modesty; yes.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882128' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:52 AM']Whether or not it is appropriate to wear jeans at Mass, that would be a lousy reason to switch parishes. I have been in parishes that do not allow jeans on a regular basis from its members. I just can't think of any ordinary circumstance where jeans are more appropriate than dress clothes for a Sunday Mass.[/quote]

I work until 8:45 Sunday morning at the earliest. Mass starts at 9:00. That does not allow me time to change. Why not go where I am welcome?

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1882360' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:29 PM']I work until 8:45 Sunday morning at the earliest. Mass starts at 9:00. That does not allow me time to change. Why not go where I am welcome?[/quote]

There are times where it's understandable, and acceptable, to dress in not as nice clothes, as your situation or if someone has just gotten out of the hospital, etc.

As for the daily Mass question the one above you posted. It is Sunday Mass which we are celebrating the Easter. Do we tend to go in jeans and tennis shoes during the Easter Sunday during the Liturgical Year? Not normally, yet it is Easter which we celebrate each Sunday. As I say to my second graders, it's a mini Easter!

takebacktonight

I am more concerned with behaviour in mass....

I was once at the French mass at Notre Dame *Basilica in Montreal, and there was a dress code posted outside the door (it's a tourist church). About halfway through, this touristy couple clomps down the aisle, buddy has a hat still on his head and they plunk themselves down in my pew. They then proceed to talk through mass, chomp on gum, not stand when others are standing, and aren't even polite enough to move/scooch for those of us going to communion. They probably would have went to recieve had the priest not made an announcement in French and English just beforehand.. It was like mass was a broadway show put on purely for their entertainment

But, they were dressed appropriately, save for the hat.

Edited by takebacktonight

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Shall we take it in context?

We should always strive to wear what is both modest and respectful when we are going before the Blessed Eucharist in Mass. Anything less, save for those situations in which it cannot be done, is an insult.

^IMHO

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

TeresaBenedicta

I just think it's a little iffy to make hard fast rules about no jeans, no sneakers, etc. Stuff that doesn't directly deal with modesty. Especially because there are so many cases that could be exceptions to these rules. Why not focus on the modesty, encouraging nice dress, but not giving the negatives such as the ones listed above?

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet the leader of your country? How about a king or queen in another country?

Why then not dress at least that nicely when going to Mass where the King of Kings will be?

He died on the cross and rose to give us a hope of salvation, and we can't even dress in church clothes to celebrate that sacrifice each time we go to Mass?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882358' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:23 PM']We have nice shoes and clothes for Mass for the kids. They are handie downs that we received and they will be handed down through all the kids, along with tennis shoes and other casual everyday shoes. Just answering the claim. :)[/quote]
I'm guessing your children's feet are not growing at such a pace as to be buying multiple pairs of shoes a season for each child. It is not disrespectful to have children wearing shoes that fit and are neat.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Let's set children aside of this conversation and focus on those whose feet do not grow so rapidly. Is it respectful of them to wear jeans and tennis shoes to Mass?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882370' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:39 PM']Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet the leader of your country? How about a king or queen in another country?

Why then not dress at least that nicely when going to Mass where the King of Kings will be?

He died on the cross and rose to give us a hope of salvation, and we can't even dress in church clothes to celebrate that sacrifice each time we go to Mass?[/quote]
Teresa-- What did you wear when you married Adam? I know. I saw the pictures. You looked lovely. Why then, if you dressed so lovely to wed your husband do you not dress equally nicely (or nicer) to meet and commune with the Lord?