An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882482' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:13 PM']Has it ever been considered that it has become 'distracting' for someone to come in their Sunday best because the norm has changed? The jeans and tennis shoes (as disrespectful as it is) as replaced the dressing in your best (respectful).

And why is it that the issue of respect is being completely ignored? Being modest is not the same as being respectful.

It is ok to be modest but disrespectful in dress while attending Mass?[/quote]

Well now that you mention it

YES IT CAN

I dress respectfully for mass. I could if I chose to, wear a $1000 suit. I could wear one of my snazzy $200 ties. I have people in my parish that could wear a $5000 suit. I have people in my parish that don't own a tie.

I might choose to wear my $1000 suit with the snazzy tie to meet the pope, the queen, the president, etc. I might think that if I wear it to mass, it could embarrass the guy sitting next to me who can't afford health insurance for his kids let alone fine threads like what's hanging in my closet.

That's respect.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882396' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:58 PM']I just think what one wears to Mass should be modest, clean, and in good repair.[/quote]

Additionally, women should wear a head-covering, of course. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

Mrs. Bro. Adam

So that gives us the excuse to dress in such a way that is disrespectful to Him?

What a lame argument.

MissScripture

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882304' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:09 PM']Why dress so casually for Mass?[/quote]
Why do tennis shoes automatically make it casual? Wearing a polo, dress pants and tennis shoes does not seem highly inappropriate to me. If it is, can someone please explain why, other than saying "Would you wear it to do xyz?" Because, honestly, I probably would.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882374' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:41 PM']Let's set children aside of this conversation and focus on those whose feet do not grow so rapidly. Is it respectful of them to wear jeans and tennis shoes to Mass?[/quote]
Why are jeans and tennis shoes automatically connected? I was raised to never wear jeans to Mass, except on rare occasions when we were traveling. Tennis shoes, however, were never an issue, if they matched and were in good condition.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882370' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:39 PM']Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet the leader of your country? How about a king or queen in another country?

Why then not dress at least that nicely when going to Mass where the King of Kings will be?

He died on the cross and rose to give us a hope of salvation, and we can't even dress in church clothes to celebrate that sacrifice each time we go to Mass?[/quote]

good points... buuut what about the poor? our God is a loving God unlike Kings of the past and he would welcome any poor person no matter how they were dressed. We need to have 'guidelines' on how to dress in Church for the sake of Modesty and Respect, but we cannot force it others or judge others by their clothing, or make 'poor' people feel unwelcomed because they do not have the nicest pants, shirts, or shoes.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882508' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:38 PM']Additionally, women should wear a head-covering, of course. :)[/quote]

Yea I have a hard time with this one.
There seems (at times) to be an air or attitude that the people who do wear the 'head-coverings' are the "good" Catholic, what is wrong with showing our beauty to God, He made us, so lets show him how grateful we are with his gift, to his Glory!
But i do understand some people's reasoning, I just wont do it myself

princessgianna

Let's evaluate:

Why are you going?
Who are you going to see? (Especially)
What are you going to do?

There are many options for people that have a tight budget. You can buy a decent dress and Church shoes for Sunday only to last a year. You don't need many outfits- just [b]one[/b] nice Sunday dress(for girls) and a suit(for boys) with nice church shoes. That is how my family operates.
We go to mass (more often than not) in the same outfit -but we look nice and presentable for Christ.

Just my humble opinion!
:blowkiss:
princessgianna

TeresaBenedicta

I guess all of this really just depends on what you see as 'disrespectful'. I don't see jeans and a nice shirt or tennis shoes as disrespectful.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1882539' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:04 PM']I seriously doubt God cares that you're wearing jeans and tennis shoes at church.[/quote]

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that statement, though I've never interviewed God on the subject. To me, it is not a question of God "caring" what we look like; God's love is a constant given. The real question is whether or not we care what we look like in God's presence.

That is always going to be the debating point..... :wacko:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1882278' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:22 PM']May I ask what's wrong with tennis shoes? I agree that an old pair that's held together with duct tape would be a no-no. However, I don't understand what is wrong with a nice, clean, newer pair?[/quote]
That's how I feel. And unless someone can find an affordable pair of men's shoes that have no dyes, and also look nice, then DH is wearing canvas tennis shoes, as he's allergic to the dyes used in shoes. And I've been known to make the horrible fashion statement of wearing my blue tennis shoes with a skirt, because I need something that supports my ankle (if I don't, then my knee tends to hurt a lot, as it's weaker from having 2 operations). That leaves me the option of my tennis shoes, or my boots that are falling apart. Yes, I plan on getting nicer shoes when I can, but finding affordable shoes that fit and are comfortable is difficult for me with my long, narrow feet.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1882391' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:56 AM']+J.M.J.+
the only thing that fit my feet at the end of pregnancy was flip flops. seriously. the only thing that fit was a nice pair of jeans (barely - at least i didn't wear my sweats like i wanted too! :hehe: ).[/quote]
Yeah, my jeans were the only thing that fit, too, I think.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882396' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:58 AM']I just think what one wears to Mass should be modest, clean, and in good repair.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882508' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:38 AM']Additionally, women should wear a head-covering, of course. :)[/quote]
Well, I'm in agreement.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1882604' date='Jun 4 2009, 04:12 AM']Why do tennis shoes automatically make it casual? Wearing a polo, dress pants and tennis shoes does not seem highly inappropriate to me. If it is, can someone please explain why, other than saying "Would you wear it to do xyz?" Because, honestly, I probably would.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Shpout' post='1882667' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:54 AM']Yea I have a hard time with this one.
There seems (at times) to be an air or attitude that the people who do wear the 'head-coverings' are the "good" Catholic, what is wrong with showing our beauty to God, He made us, so lets show him how grateful we are with his gift, to his Glory!
But i do understand some people's reasoning, I just wont do it myself[/quote]

"4 Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered, disgraceth his head. 5 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered, disgraceth her head: for it is all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. 7 The man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man. 9 For the man was not created for the woman, but the woman for the man. 10 Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels. 11 But yet neither is the man without the woman, nor the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12 For as the woman is of the man, so also is the man by the woman: but all things of God. 13 You yourselves judge: doth it become a woman, to pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that a man indeed, if he nourish his hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman nourish her hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering." (1 Corinthians 11)

Edited by Resurrexi

Ash Wednesday

I think people should be careful about getting into specifics about this because we are getting into matters of personal opinion. (Tennis shoes? What kind of tennis shoes? What if they're dressy leather style tennis shoes? Denim tennis shoes? Silk shatung dress tennis shoes? Laceless bensimon tennis shoes?) And while the head covering is an honorable practice, and Catholics should do more than just the "bare minimum" as far as their worship goes, such a practice is not a requirement enforced by the Church so it would serve people well to choose their wording carefully when discussing what they specifically believe people "should" and "shouldn't" wear beyond the obvious that pretty much most devoted Catholics can agree on (hot pants and daisy dukes are not okay.)

I liked where cappie was going with all this -- that really it's a matter of modesty, respect, and common sense.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1882838' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:35 PM']I think people should be careful about getting into specifics about this because we are getting into matters of personal opinion. (Tennis shoes? What kind of tennis shoes? What if they're dressy leather style tennis shoes? Denim tennis shoes? Silk shatung dress tennis shoes? Laceless bensimon tennis shoes?) And while the head covering is an honorable practice, and Catholics should do more than just the "bare minimum" as far as their worship goes, such a practice is not a requirement enforced by the Church so it would serve people well to choose their wording carefully when discussing what they specifically believe people "should" and "shouldn't" wear beyond the obvious that pretty much most devoted Catholics can agree on (hot pants and daisy dukes are not okay.)

I liked where cappie was going with all this -- that really it's a matter of modesty, respect, and common sense.[/quote]
Definitely. I hope I didn't come across as saying that head covering is absolutely required by the Church.