An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

Ash Wednesday

Don't worry Cat, I was just addressing it in general as far as how it sometimes gets discussed on here sometimes, now that the beautiful can of worms just got opened again. It was not a specific response to anything you wrote. ;)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1882840' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:04 PM']Don't worry Cat, I was just addressing it in general as far as how it sometimes gets discussed on here sometimes, now that the beautiful can of worms just got opened again. It was not a specific response to anything you wrote. ;)[/quote]
I figured, but just wanted to clarify. :)

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Respect. That's a word that has been left out of most posts. Modesty is continually being used, but not respect . And my point all along has been, that dress, as cappie has said, should not only be modest, but also respectful.

There are those here, however, who have said plainly that it is ok to dress modestly, but not respectfully, for Mass.

Once the respect issue is taken seriously, I think people will begin to understand what really is acceptable to wear to Mass, and what isn't.

As for head coverings, yes, it's an honorable tradition, but it was also spoken upon by St. Paul because of the culture the Corinthians lived in ;)

I fail to see how wearing jeans is a disrespectful. While I understand equating meeting Christ in the Eucharist to meeting with the president, who we are ultimately meeting is our Father. The President and his handlers may look down on someone who meets with him in jeans because it is a breech of protocol or ettiquette but I can not wrap my mind around God having the same reaction. I imagine that God understands respect much differently than the inflated ego's of the royal and ruling classes. I honor God with my humble heart and my sincere desire to worship and serve only Him. So rather than dressing as I would to meet a stranger such as a dignitary I do not see how it is inappropriate to dress as you would to meet someone like your Father (someone who knows you intimately and udnerstands your intentions but who would never want to see you in anything immodest or tasteless).

I know that those here that are opposed to wearing casual clothes at Church have wonderful intentions, but I honestly believe that is is only you and not God that are offended by anyones modest attire. This focus on clothes, IMHO, is also misplaced attention. Are people talking before Mass instead of prayerfully preparing themselves? Are they talking or wispering DURING Mass? Do they all humbly kneel during the consecration? Do they bow before receiving the most precious Eucharist? Are you distracted by people's clothes instead of worship? These are things that I would imagine are offensive to God.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

The disrespect comes into the lack of time and effort put into the clothes that we wear to worship in.

Did God allow Moses to wear what he was wearing when he first met him in the burning bush when he came into his presence? Nope. He was told to take of his sandals, for the place he was standing is holy ground. The disrespect is treating Mass just like any other place in society we attend. The casual dress is a big contributing factor to the casual attitude present in the Mass. If we shouldn't wear anything special to Mass, then why should we act any differently? Why not treat it in the same casual disregard that we do when we are wearing casual dress?

We act how we dress.

ETA: While God is our Father, he is also [b]God[/b]. Does he not deserve all our respect and honor? Yet we are unwilling to dress in such a way that demonstrates that respect that we have for him. God is far above in status than any ruler here on Earth, and that is why I can not come to terms with how it can be acceptable, in any normal circumstance, to wear anything less than the best that we have when coming into His presence at Mass.

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Also, ever notice how much more reverent people are when they are not dressed in casual attire as opposed to those who dress casually?

And we wonder why the Mass is not treated with the reverence it deserves.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882870' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:27 AM']Also, ever notice how much more reverent people are when they are not dressed in casual attire as opposed to those who dress casually?

And we wonder why the Mass is not treated with the reverence it deserves.[/quote]

No I have not noticed such a corelation. If anything I notice the Church's "ruling class" with their expesnive outfits and proud attitudes using their "respectful dress" as a ticket to do as they please.

As I said in my previous post, I am very conscious of how my behavior shows my respect for my Lord. Surely that is most important. When I am getting ready to go out with friends or on a date with my fiance I will take time to get dressed and put on make up so that I am accepted as beautiful to the secular world. The attention is on myself and my appearance. That is not what the focus should be.

When Christ dined with the lowly he did not insist that they wear their best clothes. All that he insisted is that they turn away from sin. After he was resurrected and his Apostles were certain who he was, they did not rush out to buy more expensive clothes to honor his presence. If we are using the Gospel as our measure, you can wear fancy clothes and I can wear the clothes that I happen to already own and put the difference into the offering.... I do not think God will be disappointed.

For those of you that do think dressing casually is unacceptable, do you feel the same way about daily Mass and adoration?

dominicansoul

"But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
He said to him, 'My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?' But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.' "
Matthew 22:11-13

I've often of thought of this verse when dressing for Mass. I do believe the Lord can be insulted by our lack of reverence in our dress. AT the same time, I think, like most things, this becomes relative to the person's own opinions as to what is reverent and what is not. I wish we can all agree that low cut blouses, muscles shirts, short shorts or mini skirts are definitely not appropriate and totally irreverent for Mass. But sadly, many Catholics would disagree with this.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1882889' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:00 AM']"But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
He said to him, 'My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?' But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.' "
Matthew 22:11-13

I've often of thought of this verse when dressing for Mass. I do believe the Lord can be insulted by our lack of reverence in our dress. AT the same time, I think, like most things, this becomes relative to the person's own opinions as to what is reverent and what is not. I wish we can all agree that low cut blouses, muscles shirts, short shorts or mini skirts are definitely not appropriate and totally irreverent for Mass. But sadly, many Catholics would disagree with this.[/quote]

This verse you quoted was part of a parable explaining how many reject God's call to holiness or his "invitation" to heaven. When placed into context it is not particularly relevant to the discussion of appropriate dress for Mass.

For what it is worth we are in complete agreemeent about the items you listed that are not appropriate for Mass. I would never dream of wearing any of those item, nevermind to Church.

dominicansoul

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1882897' date='Jun 4 2009, 09:18 AM']This verse you quoted was part of a parable explaining how many reject God's call to holiness or his "invitation" to heaven. When placed into context it is not particularly relevant to the discussion of appropriate dress for Mass.

For what it is worth we are in complete agreemeent about the items you listed that are not appropriate for Mass. I would never dream of wearing any of those item, nevermind to Church.[/quote]

oh, i know what context it's in... i just always think about it when I'm dressing for Mass. I find it interesting that the Lord would use dress code as an analogy to holiness. Perhaps it is meant for both?
I'm glad you agree about those items not being very good pieces to wear at Mass. :)

VeniteAdoremus

I don't see the need for spaghetti straps anywhere, let alone at Mass.

But as others have said, the best place to start is with the readers and ushers. If people see them looking neat, they'll start to think it's normal.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882832' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:42 AM']7 The man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man.[/quote]

What does this mean?

fides quarens intellectum

i just want to address the exceptions that people keep pointing to.

i think we can all agree that there are times when some things (pregnancy, getting off of work fifteen minutes before the only available Mass begins, just coming from the hospital...) will necessitate "dressing down," so to speak. That doesn't mean the rest of us need to be less attentive to how we're presenting ourselves at the Lord's table.

Regarding the poverty, issue, though: until relatively recently, it was very common for people to have one nicer suit or dress for Sunday, then one or two others to last them through the week. That was it for the year. I'm not kidding (my mom's even talked about how this was still the case in the 60's and 70's in the poorer areas of inner-city Detroit). Anyway, it may sound outlandish in our materialistic society, but you really only need one modest, respectful outfit to set aside for a few hours of use once a week. Besides, clothes can last pretty well if taken care of properly.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882868' date='Jun 4 2009, 08:24 AM']The disrespect comes into the lack of time and effort put into the clothes that we wear to worship in.[/quote]

:yes: Many of us tend to dress for what we're doing before or after Mass, not for Mass itself.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1882883' date='Jun 4 2009, 08:47 AM']For those of you that do think dressing casually is unacceptable, do you feel the same way about daily Mass and adoration?[/quote]

Well, i wouldn't claim that it's "unacceptable" - just less respectful. To answer your question, though, yes, but again, there are exceptions and considerations to be weighed (such as a nurse giving up her lunch break so that she can make it to daily Mass). There is something to be said for every Sunday being a little Easter, but you're right - it is still the Eucharist in daily Mass.

i happen to be lucky enough to be able to work in a position where our dress code allows for outfits that are in keeping with respect for the Eucharist, but even on days that i'm more casual, i still have to make an effort to dress appropriately for Mass and change afterward. i know this isn't possible for everyone, and i'm pretty lucky with my schedule, but you're completely right in some of the things you've posted - it's still Christ present in the Eucharist. :)