An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883066' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:37 AM']I'll make my point of view very simple:

[b]Dressing in jeans and tennis shoes for Mass on Sunday (unless there are circumstances pointed out previously) is inappropriate and disrespectful[/b]. We should put our best foot forward and look our best (dress clothes, nice shoes) as it is the King of King we are going to see, and not our chum.

Laura-the bit about my looking better for Mass, I do consider myself better looking now than I was when I got married, but that is due to the extreme weight loss that occured after I was diagnosed with an ongoing illness.

I am sad when I see those who can afford nice clothes attending Mass in jeans and tennis shoes or worse, shorts and sleeveless shirts and sandals.[/quote]

Yet it is appropriate for a weekday Mass? Huh?

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883073' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:43 PM']Shall we take one Mass at a time? ;)

Let's focus on the obligatory Mass ;)[/quote]

But your concern is respect for the Eucharist... which is at every Mass.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883053' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:24 PM']Should our appearance not reflect the respect we claim to have for the Mass and the Sacrament?

[b]Laura, I look better when I go to Mass than I ever did when I got married, and that is due to the change in my outward appearance.[/b]

Slacks have never been at issue here. The issue in thread has become whether it's appropriate to wear jeans and tennis shoes to Sunday Mass.

And for the record, Adam doesn't wear jeans during the week. He wears black slacks and dress shirt, so unfortunately your argument will not hold water against him. ;)[/quote]
:huh: How many times have you been married?! And I guess you really didn't respect your husband much if you look better at Mass EVERY TIME than you did on your (?? # ??) wedding day(s).

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883062' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:35 PM']woah, you are taking this way way too far out!

we are simply stating that reverent clothing is needed at Mass. We aren't saying we are super holy because we dress to the nines..

it has nothing to do with us, but Who we are in the Presence of...

we can merely humbly come before Him in a manner as appropriate as we can be as mere mortals...[/quote]
the franciscan friars of the renewal go before Him several times a day in gray cloth and worn sandals... sometimes bare feet. the same cloth and sandals that they lounge in, that they work in, that they play in. hmmm...

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883066' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:37 PM']I'll make my point of view very simple:

Dressing in jeans and tennis shoes for Mass on Sunday [b](unless there are circumstances pointed out previously)[/b] is inappropriate and disrespectful. We should put our best foot forward and look our best (dress clothes, nice shoes) as it is the King of King we are going to see, and not our chum.

[color="blue"]Laura-the bit about my looking better for Mass, I do consider myself better looking now than I was when I got married, but that is due to the extreme weight loss that occured after I was diagnosed with an ongoing illness.[/color]

I am sad when I see those who can afford nice clothes attending Mass in jeans and tennis shoes or worse, shorts and sleeveless shirts and sandals.[/quote]
[b]I think for someone who's attempting to make this such a black and white issue, that's an awfully gray line of thinking.[/b]

[color="blue"]so you're claiming that weight has something to do with how respectful someone is now too?! dang. you're worse than i thought.[/color]

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883068' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:39 PM']Your post was using present tense. I was simply pointing out that that is no longer the case as his line of work requires him to wear business attire ;)[/quote]
so his circumstances have changed and NOW you can judge? hmmm...

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883075' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:45 AM']But your concern is respect for the Eucharist... which is at every Mass.[/quote]

It must be a different Eucharist at daily Mass. One that needs less respect or something.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883066' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:37 PM']Dressing in jeans and tennis shoes for Mass on Sunday (unless there are circumstances pointed out previously) is inappropriate and disrespectful.[/quote]

This is a HUGE judgment.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883073' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:43 PM']Shall we take one Mass at a time? ;)

Let's focus on the obligatory Mass ;)[/quote]

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883075' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:45 PM']But your concern is respect for the Eucharist... which is at every Mass.[/quote]

I'll echo that and pose a question:

What is you real concern? If it is respect for the Eucharist, as you claim, what makes the Eucharist different at daily Mass than Sunday Mass or other Masses that are celebrated, such as on Holy Days of Obligation?

Why the double standard?

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1883070' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:41 PM']Yet it is appropriate for a weekday Mass? Huh?[/quote]

i don't think it is, but again, if comes down to a construction worker with a half an hour lunch break, that's something different.

i just think we should try to dress respectfully for Our Lord at [i]every[/i] Mass.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883076' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:47 PM']the franciscan friars of the renewal go before Him several times a day in gray cloth and worn sandals... sometimes bear feet. the same cloth and sandals that they lounge in, that they work in, that they play in. hmmm...[/quote]

To them, that is their wedding garb.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Laura-

Obviously my statements about how I look were not received in the way I intended them to come across.

What a line of questions, which I will not indulge and answer them, since they are completely irrelevant.

My comment about Adam was to point out your attempt of trying to use an example of the past as present. Which doesn't work.

My arguments have not been on weekday Masses, but rather the obligatory once a week Sunday Mass. Most people don't dress up for Mass because of the circumstances of work which do not allow them time to change before or after Mass.

The black and white in this issue is that respect should be shown to the extent which we are able in our dress when attending Mass, or would you disagree with that?

As for the weight comment, that was rather taken out of context, and I'm sorry that you view me as being that type of person. As I said, when I said I look better now than I ever did when I got married (only once, thank you), I simply meant that my outward appearance, because of the weight loss (close to 100 pounds) and that I actually dress better now (because of the respect that I have gained for myself) than I did then, but that's completely off topic.

franciscanheart

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1883084' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:53 PM']To them, that is their wedding garb.[/quote]
you make an interesting point!!

let's say my wedding garb is a sleeveless bohemian-style dress made of a gauze material. it's what i can comfortably afford. can i wear that to mass with flip flops and not be judged by one of you?

sheesh.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883079' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:50 PM']What is you real concern? If it is respect for the Eucharist, as you claim, what makes the Eucharist different at daily Mass than Sunday Mass or other Masses that are celebrated, such as on Holy Days of Obligation?

Why the double standard?[/quote]

Perhaps she's making a distinction because for many people, Sunday is set aside as a day of rest, making it more possible for Mass-goers to make an effort for the Lord than it is for those who barely to make it to daily Mass on their way to work, their lunch break, or on their way home. :idontknow:

Personally, though, i think we have to strive for appropriate dress every time we go to Mass.

oops - i missed her post...

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1883078' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:48 AM']This is a HUGE judgment.[/quote]

Not really. It's simply an echo of what religious brothers and sisters feel and have said.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883079' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:50 AM']I'll echo that and pose a question:

What is you real concern? If it is respect for the Eucharist, as you claim, what makes the Eucharist different at daily Mass than Sunday Mass or other Masses that are celebrated, such as on Holy Days of Obligation?

Why the double standard?[/quote]

These questions have been answered previously.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[s]Laura:

Shop discounted and thrift stores ;) I'm sure one can afford those prices ;)[/s]

Misunderstood your last post.

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883087' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:56 PM']you make an interesting point!!

let's say my wedding garb is a sleeveless bohemian-style dress made of a gauze material. it's what i can comfortably afford. can i wear that to mass with flip flops and not be judged by one of you?

sheesh.[/quote]

Again, i'll have to say that i don't think most wedding dresses are appropriate for any Mass, wedding nuptial or otherwise. (Please, no name-calling).

Religious Brothers and Sisters who wear a habit are always putting on their best for the Lord, which is the concept some people are trying to get at in this thread. The fact that they wear a habit only confirms the idea that what we wear is important and portrays to others a bit about who we are. i don't know of any Religious communities that have a sleeveless dress of gauze as their habit, btw.