An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883143' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:27 PM']did you guys always use the expression "sheesh" 'cos I thought I only used that word? :unsure:

and yes, I agree with your list...[/quote]

I think the list is the point that we've been trying to get across. Thank you!

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883140' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:27 PM']Sheesh. This is such a circular arguement. I will agree to disagree if everyone would agree that the following list of priorities is in the proper order.

1) Phystical and spiritual presence and reverence
2) Modest Clothing
3) Formal Clothing[/quote]

i don't know that you can separate the virtue of modesty from reverence.

:tomato:

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Sure ya can ;)

You can be modestly clothed but not be reverent in dress ;)

Jeans and a t-shirt can be very modest, but would they be showing reverence or respect if you were to have a meeting with someone in a high authority?

;)

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883146' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:28 PM']I think the list is the point that we've been trying to get across. Thank you![/quote]

Holy Moly! :grouphug:

dominicansoul

true.... like you can go to Mass dressed in a polyester clown costume that is modest, and be totally irreverent...

(i've seen a lector do this for a Children's mass.... SHEESH!)

Edited by dominicansoul

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883149' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:30 PM']Sure ya can ;)

Jeans and a t-shirt can be very modest, but would they be showing reverence or respect if you were to have a meeting with someone in a high authority?

;)[/quote]

i meant modesty as a virtue, though, not modesty as an adjective that's applied to a lot of clothing these days. i tend to think that modesty is more than just the cut of one's clothes.

Sorry - i should stop.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883149' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:30 PM']Sure ya can ;)

;)[/quote]

How about modest shorts and modest shirt. They are modest, but not reverent ;)

Just saying ;)

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883159' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:33 PM']true.... like you can go to Mass dressed in a polyester clown costume that is modest, and be totally irreverent...[/quote]

true... but i wouldn't call that modest.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883159' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:33 PM']true.... like you can go to Mass dressed in a polyester clown costume that is modest, and be totally irreverent...[/quote]

Haha I quit. I love you gals... and I promise to sit far away from you if I ever show up to your church in jeans. :topsy:

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883157' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:32 PM']Holy Moly! :grouphug:[/quote]

It's amazing what happens when someone is able to very clearly get across what they're trying to say, eh? ;)

Thank you for the list, btw-I'm very opinionated, as you've seen, but not always able to clearly get across what I want to say.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883164' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:35 PM']Haha I quit. I love you gals... and I promise to sit far away from you if I ever show up to your church in jeans. :topsy:[/quote]

I don't think I've ever shot dirty looks or said anything to anyone about the way they are dressed. It has only made me sad to see irreverence for the Mass and Sacrament when I know they had time to dress adequately for Mass ;)

Sometimes my Mass atire is scrubs and gym shoes.

Have you ever thought that maybe people have no choice sometimes but to wear jeans and a t-shirt? Sometimes people do their best. I know this is probably the exception rather than the norm but still those people exist. Or they are coming/going to work and need to wear their uniform.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883167' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:37 PM']I don't think I've ever shot dirty looks or said anything to anyone about the way they are dressed. It has only made me sad to see irreverence for the Mass and Sacrament when I know they had time to dress adequately for Mass ;)[/quote]

I wonder if people think of me as irrevrent while I sit up all night in adoration in jeans.

Nope... probably not... most of them are fast asleep.

[quote name='picchick' post='1883168' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:37 PM']Sometimes my Mass atire is scrubs and gym shoes.

Have you ever thought that maybe people have no choice sometimes but to wear jeans and a t-shirt? Sometimes people do their best. I know this is probably the exception rather than the norm but still those people exist. Or they are coming/going to work and need to wear their uniform.[/quote]

Yes, they've/we've addressed such issues several times in this thread. :)

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1883147' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:29 PM']i don't know that you can separate the virtue of modesty from reverence.[/quote]

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883149' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:30 PM']Sure ya can ;)
You can be modestly clothed but not be reverent in dress ;)[/quote]

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1883161' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:33 PM']i meant modesty as a virtue, though, not modesty as an adjective that's applied to a lot of clothing these days. i tend to think that modesty is more than just the cut of one's clothes.[/quote]

Sorry - i said i would stop, but i took two seconds and found a nice dictionary definition of modesty, and this is in a secular sense:

[quote]The state or quality of being modest.
Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior.
Lack of pretentiousness; simplicity.[/quote]

Apply that propriety to the reverence due to Mass and my original opinion still stands. :)