An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1883170' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:39 PM']Yes, they've/we've addressed such issues several times in this thread. :)[/quote]

Ok sorry, I didn't read the whole thread.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883132' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:22 PM']Just a question:

Would it be ok for someone to present themselves in just jeans, shirt, and tennis shoes to a head of state if they had nicer clothes, plenty of time to dress nicer, as long as their heart was 'in the right place'? Do you think that they'd even be allowed to meet the head of state dressed that way?[/quote]
I don't think God would turn a visitor away because they were in jeans, flippies, and a tshirt.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883140' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:27 PM']Sheesh. This is such a circular arguement. I will agree to disagree if everyone would agree that the following list of priorities is in the proper order.

1) Phystical and spiritual presence and reverence
1) Modest Clothing
3) Formal Clothing

Please please please tell me we can agree to this?

Edit: Let's show the first 2 as a tie...[/quote]
Yep.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883143' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:27 PM']did you guys always use the expression "sheesh" 'cos I thought I only used that word? :unsure:

and yes, I agree with your list...[/quote]
yes, i use it. :)

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883149' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:30 PM']Sure ya can ;)

You can be modestly clothed but not be reverent in dress ;)

Jeans and a t-shirt can be very modest, but would they be showing reverence or respect if you were to have a meeting with someone in a high authority?

;)[/quote]
[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883162' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:33 PM']How about modest shorts and modest shirt. They are modest, but not reverent ;)

Just saying ;)[/quote]
[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883165' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:35 PM']It's amazing what happens when someone is able to very clearly get across what they're trying to say, eh? ;)

Thank you for the list, btw-I'm very opinionated, as you've seen, but not always able to clearly get across what I want to say.[/quote]
[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1883167' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:37 PM']I don't think I've ever shot dirty looks or said anything to anyone about the way they are dressed. It has only made me sad to see irreverence for the Mass and Sacrament when I know they had time to dress adequately for Mass ;)[/quote]
I think the winking smiley should be banned. :mellow:

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883169' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:39 PM']I wonder if people think of me as irrevrent while I sit up all night in adoration in jeans.

Nope... probably not... most of them are fast asleep.[/quote]
:saint: That's what I was thinking early on in the thread.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883164' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:35 PM']Haha I quit. I love you gals... and I promise to sit far away from you if I ever show up to your church in jeans. :topsy:[/quote]
:rolleyes: no kidding.

dominicansoul

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1883164' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:35 PM']Haha I quit. I love you gals... and I promise to sit far away from you if I ever show up to your church in jeans. :topsy:[/quote]

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883220' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:27 PM']:rolleyes: no kidding.[/quote]

okay. we'll be the ones dressed to the nines and praying very reverently... you can avoid sitting by me as you wish...

i for one wouldn't care if you did... i probably wouldn't even know you were there...

..just don't try holding my hand during the Our Father! :topsy: ('cos i don't do that for anybody...dressed reverently or not...)

Edited by dominicansoul

I think that rather than causing further division as this thread has, we should all agree on what we KNOW to be improper--clothes that show cleavage, butts and midriffs, ripped up clothes and the like.

No one is going to budge (bonus points if you got my double entendre) on either side here.

Unless my pastor or confessor says otherwise to me, I will keep wearing what in my eyes is tasteful and appropriate for Mass. I'll be in the back hiding my face, so I won't be sad, either. :)

(Though I do have to wonder...what if I were to dress in an ankle-length skirt, blouse, and dye my hair blue? :hehe:)

Edited by MissyP89

franciscanheart

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1883225' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:33 PM']I think that rather than causing further division as this thread has, we should all agree on what we KNOW to be improper--clothes that show cleavage, butts and midriffs, ripped up clothes and the like.

No one is going to budge (bonus points if you got my double entendre) on either side here.

Unless my pastor or confessor says otherwise to me, I will keep wearing what in my eyes is tasteful and appropriate for Mass. I'll be in the back hiding my face, so I won't be sad, either. :)

(Though I do have to wonder...what if I were to dress in an ankle-length skirt, blouse, and dye my hair blue? :hehe:)[/quote]
:lol_roll:

dominicansoul: do you really dress to the nines or are you being sarcastic? :huh: i also believe that prudence should be practiced in the purchasing of clothes. :lol: but i guess we shouldn't even go there...

dominicansoul

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883227' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:36 PM']:lol_roll:

dominicansoul: do you really dress to the nines or are you being sarcastic? :huh: i also believe that prudence should be practiced in the purchasing of clothes. :lol: but i guess we shouldn't even go there...[/quote]
no, i'm using your verbage...

but i do dress as reverently as i can...

i for one think women should only wear dresses to mass... i think it is very feminine and beautiful rather than slacks/jeans...

but hey, this will probably open up a whole other can of worms!

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1883225' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:33 PM'](Though I do have to wonder...what if I were to dress in an ankle-length skirt, blouse, and dye my hair blue? :hehe:)[/quote]

you just described my grandma!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883231' date='Jun 4 2009, 08:38 PM']i for one think women should only wear dresses to mass... i think it is very feminine and beautiful rather than slacks/jeans...

but hey, this will probably open up a whole other can of worms![/quote]
In general I agree and I do mostly wear skirts (not dresses, since I'm breastfeeding) to Mass, at least on Sundays. There are times when I wear nice trousers instead, but pretty much only when the weather is really bad and I'm worried about getting a wet skirt caught in my son's buggy when I'm getting on & off the bus (and thus folding the buggy) and walking between the bus stop and Mass and back again.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1883225' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:33 PM']I think that rather than causing further division as this thread has, we should all agree on what we KNOW to be improper--clothes that show cleavage, butts and midriffs, ripped up clothes and the like.

Unless my pastor or confessor says otherwise to me, I will keep wearing what in my eyes is tasteful and appropriate for Mass. I'll be in the back hiding my face, so I won't be sad, either. :)[/quote]

Hear hear :)

[quote](Though I do have to wonder...what if I were to dress in an ankle-length skirt, blouse, and dye my hair blue? :hehe:)[/quote]

Totally me when I was 16! Only my hair was green. (My favourite rosary from that time still has a greenish sheen to it, I used to fall asleep with it all the time and it got tangled in my hair.)

franciscanheart

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883231' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:38 PM']no, i'm using your verbage...

but i do dress as reverently as i can...

i for one think women should only wear dresses to mass... i think it is very feminine and beautiful rather than slacks/jeans...

but hey, this will probably open up a whole other can of worms![/quote]
i don't think i ever said "dressed to the nines" except to quote someone. :lol:

(and just for conversation's sake, i should mention that i've often subscribed to the personal belief that women should try to wear skirts and dresses as often as possible, not just to Mass. i also have little day dreams of wearing skirts and chasing children, being a truly feminine woman and thanking God often for my womanhood and motherhood. i have even gone for certain periods of time wearing only skirts. somehow i always end up back in jeans...)

dominicansoul

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883259' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:13 PM']i don't think i ever said "dressed to the nines" except to quote someone. :lol:

(and just for conversation's sake, i should mention that i've often subscribed to the personal belief that women should try to wear skirts and dresses as often as possible, not just to Mass. i also have little day dreams of wearing skirts and chasing children, being a truly feminine woman and thanking God often for my womanhood and motherhood. i have even gone for certain periods of time wearing only skirts. somehow i always end up back in jeans...)[/quote]

oh, sorry... i do like the "dress to the nines" expression, although I don't even know what it literally means...

and i'm like you... i just cleaned out my closet of all my skirts because they were getting pretty rough looking....

in the meantime, i've been wearing the same three skirts (in rotation) for the last Sundays at Mass...

and wear pants for daily Mass.... ('cos pant suits are what I now wear to work...) it's weird... wearing pants... yeesh...

franciscanheart

A quick search of the origin of the phrase turned up essentially the same answer:

Some speculate it's a reference to the nine Muses of Greek mythology, while others theorize that because nine is the highest single-digit number, it symbolizes the best or perfection.

dominicansoul

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1883269' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:23 PM']A quick search of the origin of the phrase turned up essentially the same answer:

Some speculate it's a reference to the nine Muses of Greek mythology, while others theorize that because nine is the highest single-digit number, it symbolizes the best or perfection.[/quote]
got it :thumbsup:

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1883223' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:31 PM']..just don't try holding my hand during the Our Father! :topsy: ('cos i don't do that for anybody...dressed reverently or not...)[/quote]

I'd hit you if you tried to hold my hand. :mellow:

OR! Better yet, I'd lick my hand right in your face and then hold out my hand.....ooohhhh yeah :cool: