An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1882368' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:37 PM']I just think it's a little iffy to make hard fast rules about no jeans, no sneakers, etc. Stuff that doesn't directly deal with modesty. Especially because there are so many cases that could be exceptions to these rules. Why not focus on the modesty, encouraging nice dress, but not giving the negatives such as the ones listed above?[/quote]

If that is directed to me, as I already said, I'm going with what Cappie posted. I know I'm going to get the same rebukes over and over at this point because the thread has taken a life of its own and no one is reading the whole thing any longer.

However sometimes people need to be told "no". Especially depending on the pastoral situation you are in. Like I said, it is not wrong to hurt peoples feelings when they themselves know better. The best priest in our diocese just "tells it like it is" and is truly loved by all - "progressive" and "conservative". We need more priests willing to make us holy and hurt our feelings. If Mass makes you feel good about yourself "just the way you are" than you may not be on the right road.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I do. I dress in such a way that if I were to meet the Pope it would be very respectful. I wear dresses, unless I am nursing, in which case I wear nice dress slacks.

My Sunday attire is nothing like my weekly attire.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882370' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:39 PM']Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet the leader of your country? How about a king or queen in another country?

Why then not dress at least that nicely when going to Mass where the King of Kings will be?

He died on the cross and rose to give us a hope of salvation, and we can't even dress in church clothes to celebrate that sacrifice each time we go to Mass?[/quote]

Like I said earlier, I go to daily Mass where I meet the King of Kings each day as well.... Yet it's not expected that I dress in such a manner for these days. While I understand your 'little Easter' analogy (or truth, I suppose we should say), I think the emphasis that you and others keep making is on meeting the King of Kings. We meet Jesus in the Holy Eucharist each and everyday.

I guess for me, uniting myself with Holy Sacrifice of the Mass has become something that is very much a part of my everyday life, so much so that I'm not as worried about 'dress'. I've a lot of other things going on in my prayer and in my mind, that along as I'm modestly dressed, I don't think much of it.

Granted, I do generally dress nicely for Sunday Mass. But to be honest, I'm not sure why I do, other than the fact that it's expected. I just can't get over how it's okay to be casually dressed for daily Mass, and then have higher expectations for Sundays. I mean. I think that dressing nicely and modestly certainly helps create an atmosphere fitting for worship. So I think giving guidelines are a good thing. But at the same time, there are enough situations that I don't think wearing jeans and a polo or blouse is breaking code for what's appropriate for Sunday or daily Mass.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882374' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:41 PM']Let's set children aside of this conversation and focus on those whose feet do not grow so rapidly. Is it respectful of them to wear jeans and tennis shoes to Mass?[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
the only thing that fit my feet at the end of pregnancy was flip flops. seriously. the only thing that fit was a nice pair of jeans (barely - at least i didn't wear my sweats like i wanted too! :hehe: ).

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882380' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:45 PM']If that is directed to me, as I already said, I'm going with what Cappie posted. I know I'm going to get the same rebukes over and over at this point because the thread has taken a life of its own and no one is reading the whole thing any longer.

However sometimes people need to be told "no". Especially depending on the pastoral situation you are in. Like I said, it is not wrong to hurt peoples feelings when they themselves know better. The best priest in our diocese just "tells it like it is" and is truly loved by all - "progressive" and "conservative". We need more priests willing to make us holy and hurt our feelings. If Mass makes you feel good about yourself "just the way you are" than you may not be on the right road.[/quote]

I meant no offense towards you, Adam. I respect what you're trying to accomplish. I suppose my comment was more in general about what should be said anywhere regarding dress codes/rules.

I like what Cappie posted. I think it'll be good to use that.

I suppose I'm just trying to figure out exactly where I stand on this as well. Because I understand the importance of dressing nicely and I generally do, except in special circumstances. But I also don't know if I see the corresponding reasoning for what I do. I try to look as nice as I can given the circumstances I am in. For daily Mass that means jeans and a nice shirt. For Sunday Mass, I dress up, unless circumstances require what I would normally where to daily Mass. But I don't understand why I have different expectations for the two different cases.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

As I stated in earlier posts, there are situations in which it cannot be helped, but where and when it can, you should dress nicely ;)

I understand the whole preggy thing, I've had two ;)

Had I not received/borrowed maternity clothes from some ladies in our parish, I wouldn't have had anything nice to wear towards the end of my pregnancy with our second ;)

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I'm finding it interesting that the word respect isn't being used along with modest/modestly...

:unsure:

Norseman82

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1882386' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:53 PM']Like I said earlier, I go to daily Mass where I meet the King of Kings each day as well.... Yet it's not expected that I dress in such a manner for these days. While I understand your 'little Easter' analogy (or truth, I suppose we should say), I think the emphasis that you and others keep making is on meeting the King of Kings. We meet Jesus in the Holy Eucharist each and everyday.[/quote]

I was going to make the same point as well. The consecrated Host is just as much Jesus whether or not the Eucharist is consecrated and/or distributed on a weekday or a Sunday.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882370' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:39 PM']Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet the leader of your country? How about a king or queen in another country?

Why then not dress at least that nicely when going to Mass where the King of Kings will be?

He died on the cross and rose to give us a hope of salvation, and we can't even dress in church clothes to celebrate that sacrifice each time we go to Mass?[/quote]

I'm sorry but I'm disagreeing with this. The original point was "don't be distracting". Now its grown into "dress up as best you can". Which IMHO is ridiculous. It is so much easier to be distracting if everyone is wearing the clothes they would wear if they were meeting the president or what they wore to their wedding. (which is Hsmom's point)

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882394' date='Jun 3 2009, 05:58 PM']As I stated in earlier posts, there are situations in which it cannot be helped, but where and when it can, you should dress nicely ;)

I understand the whole preggy thing, I've had two ;)

Had I not received/borrowed maternity clothes from some ladies in our parish, I wouldn't have had anything nice to wear towards the end of my pregnancy with our second ;)[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i had nice clothes - i just couldn't fit into them. :unsure: i'm so serious. i carry all my baby weight 'up front'. even the nice shirts i had wouldn't go over my belly by month 8. (course it didn't help that the boy was 10 lbs 5oz :hehe:) so off topic, so anyway.... :lol:

anyway, adam, i do respect what you are accomplishing - it's a good thing. i think cappie's post was a great place to start. can i ask what your priest is doing to help this along?

This thread just got me angry.

It is inappropriate (not to mention judgmental) for a layperson in the parish to decide what the other parishioners should be wearing. If it is that big of a problem, it should be taken care of by the parish priest. Signs letting people know that they are not welcome are not only inappropriate, but rude.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='prose' post='1882438' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:22 PM']This thread just got me angry.

It is inappropriate (not to mention judgmental) for a layperson in the parish to decide what the other parishioners should be wearing. If it is that big of a problem, it should be taken care of by the parish priest. Signs letting people know that they are not welcome are not only inappropriate, but rude.[/quote]

Woah. Hold on a sec. This isn't just any old layperson. Adam, correct me if I'm wrong, is DRE at his parish. I think this would certainly fall under catechizing the faithful and is appropriate for his job description. And I highly doubt he's doing this without permission from his pastor.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1882396' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:58 PM']I just think what one wears to Mass should be modest, clean, and in good repair.[/quote]
:kiss:

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1882412' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:04 PM']I'm sorry but I'm disagreeing with this. The original point was "don't be distracting". Now its grown into "dress up as best you can". Which IMHO is ridiculous. It is so much easier to be distracting if everyone is wearing the clothes they would wear if they were meeting the president or what they wore to their wedding. (which is Hsmom's point)[/quote]

Has it ever been considered that it has become 'distracting' for someone to come in their Sunday best because the norm has changed? The jeans and tennis shoes (as disrespectful as it is) as replaced the dressing in your best (respectful).

And why is it that the issue of respect is being completely ignored? Being modest is not the same as being respectful.

It is ok to be modest but disrespectful in dress while attending Mass?

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam