An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress At Mass

Brother Adam

dominicansoul

all you need is a sign that reads

"please do not wear any clothing that exposes any part of your breasts or butt cheeks."

I go to Church at the University Chapel, and believe me, i've seen my share of this... it's disgusting!

Brother Adam

[quote name='cappie' post='1882224' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:35 PM']I raed this out at Mass and had it put in print form in the bulletin. I don't remember where it came from:

Many people say that "God doesn't care what we look like; He's just glad we're there." I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that statement, though I've never interviewed God on the subject. Still, I've often wondered why we go to great lengths to look our best on certain occasions and not others. Isn't our outward appearance a reflection of our inner attitudes?

To me, it is not a question of God "caring" what we look like; God's love is a constant given. The real question is whether or not we care what we look like in God's presence. This is why Christians have always been encouraged to truly dress "up" when we gather for worship. It is an outward recognition that what we are gathering for is truly something very important and meaningful.

...with a little common sense we can dress casually and still reflect an attitude of reverence. For instance, short-shorts; grungy jeans, shirts, and athletic shoes; flimsy footwear; and tank-tops should never be worn to Church. Clean t-shirts are acceptable, providing they are not embellished with crude graphics.

Let's not forget that proper dress also includes good grooming habits. At the very least, face and hands should be clean, teeth brushed, and hair brushed or combed.[/quote]

I'm stealing this. Does that mean I have to go to confession. :unsure:

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='cappie' post='1882224' date='Jun 3 2009, 02:35 PM']I raed this out at Mass and had it put in print form in the bulletin. I don't remember where it came from:

Many people say that "God doesn't care what we look like; He's just glad we're there." I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that statement, though I've never interviewed God on the subject. Still, I've often wondered why we go to great lengths to look our best on certain occasions and not others. Isn't our outward appearance a reflection of our inner attitudes?

To me, it is not a question of God "caring" what we look like; God's love is a constant given. The real question is whether or not we care what we look like in God's presence. This is why Christians have always been encouraged to truly dress "up" when we gather for worship. It is an outward recognition that what we are gathering for is truly something very important and meaningful.

...with a little common sense we can dress casually and still reflect an attitude of reverence. For instance, short-shorts; grungy jeans, shirts, and athletic shoes; flimsy footwear; and tank-tops should never be worn to Church. Clean t-shirts are acceptable, providing they are not embellished with crude graphics.

Let's not forget that proper dress also includes good grooming habits. At the very least, face and hands should be clean, teeth brushed, and hair brushed or combed.[/quote]

i like it. :cool:

MissScripture

May I ask what's wrong with tennis shoes? I agree that an old pair that's held together with duct tape would be a no-no. However, I don't understand what is wrong with a nice, clean, newer pair?

homeschoolmom

The alter server last week had the weirdest clown-like tennis shoes... (that was purely an aside.... )

Brother Adam

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1882278' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:22 PM']May I ask what's wrong with tennis shoes? I agree that an old pair that's held together with duct tape would be a no-no. However, I don't understand what is wrong with a nice, clean, newer pair?[/quote]

Why dress so casually for Mass?

Foot problems?

And, as an aside, denim doesn't automatically mean sloppy, immodest or irreverent. I wear clean, untorn jeans that fit (not baggy or tight), with a dressy blouse and dark sandals to Mass in the summer. All of me is covered, and I am a minimalist with my makeup. I would feel no shame in meeting Jesus that way.

Is that wrong? I make an effort to dress well and honorably for Mass. Speaking from experience, a lot of college kids don't [i]own[/i] skirts and blouses down to the elbows, especially in a dorm, but that doesn't mean they're irreverent. :)

ETA: I hope you know that I'm not complaining, Adam! People are really ridiculous with what they choose to wear to Mass, and good for you to work for that change. I did, however, feel alienated by the rigidity of your proposed dress code. I have regular jeans, nice jeans, a pair of black pants, some khakis, and sweats in my closet. I would feel like I wasn't good enough to go to Mass if that sort of thing was unwelcome. Be very careful in how you present yourself--it's not being offensive that worries me (people are always going to be offended), but alienation of parishioners, especially younger ones.

Edited by MissyP89

Mrs. Bro. Adam

Why dress more down for Mass than you would for a date?

Just throwing the question out there....

Marie-Therese

For me, it's pretty simple. I dress as nicely as I am able, with my primary goal as modesty and not to be an occasion for sin. I too have seen grievous abuses of the casual attitude. I don't need to go to church and see all that. :o

I have found myself being very judgmental of people's attire in the past (i.e. ratty jeans, t shirts) only to find that these people were poor and unable to afford more. I remember the little drummer boy and just thank God that they are there, worshiping the Lord as best as they are able.

I believe modesty should be the primary goal. Apart from that, I think people should do the best they can. I live near a college town, and my parish church is basically a block away from the college. Kids stagger in wearing what appears to be pajamas (not pajamas like I wore as a kid, which involved clothing, but these strappy tanks and little shorts that, well, let's not go there). I'd be happy right now if people just came to mass with clothes on. It is an unfortunate distraction.

Do you know what is sad? A friend of mine and I are the only 2 veiled women under 60 in my parish. I think our mantillas are more distracting to some than these skin-exposing ensembles. *sigh* We get stared at sometimes like we have 3 heads...and our parish actually leans a little trad.

OK, done rambling. LOL

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1881947' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:12 AM']Um I am rarely a prude... but did a Church Militant just use the Lord's name in vain? I get it was just a joke and even blacked out but I am of an age and position in life where I can always handle the blacked out bits within posts and I am still offended.[/quote]

Um, I don't blame you... :unsure:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1882304' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:09 PM']Why dress so casually for Mass?[/quote]
Regarding tennis shoes... maybe you are not to the point of having children with constantly growing feet... It is all I can do to keep them in summer shoes (ie sandals or crocks-- they prefer the latter) and a nice pair of black tennis shoes. Before they wear out, they are outgrown. I can't have NINE pairs of children's shoes going constantly. So, there you go. Tennis shoes it is.

[quote name='Mrs. Bro. Adam' post='1882310' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:28 PM']Why dress more down for Mass than you would for a date?

Just throwing the question out there....[/quote]
How do you know how she dresses for a date?

Mrs. Bro. Adam

The question was not directed at her. It was simply being thrown out there.

Edited by Mrs. Bro. Adam

TeresaBenedicta

Huh.

Well.

I'm a little torn in this discussion. On one hand, I definitely think that dressing up for Mass is definitely a good good thing. Even more important is dressing modestly. Most important, I think.

But to label jeans and tennis shoes as inappropriate?

I'm not so sure. I mean, you can look nice while still wearing jeans and a polo or nice blouse.

I remember going to Mass at Christendom. I was down there for the weekend visiting a friend. Luckily I had remembered to pack my dress pants. But even wearing dress pants and a blouse, I felt completely out of place and judged. Why? Because I was the only female not in a long skirt. The ONLY female.

And the only reason I packed my dress clothes was because I knew how conservative Christendom was. Any other place, I probably wouldn't have bothered-- it's difficult to pack dress clothes and keep them looking nice. I would've had a good pair of jeans and a nice shirt.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

The inappropriateness stems from the disrespect that jeans and tennis shoes give off (if you own nicer clothes).

Would you wear jeans and tennis shoes to meet any president? On a work interview? How about meeting the Pope?

Yes-modesty is a big thing, but when modesty is without the respect for who you are going to see is when modesty can be without respect.