An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gran Torino

Brother Adam

Great movie! I was kinda expecting more violence, but was pleasantly surprised when my mom was able to stay in the room and watch it (she even thought it was a really good movie, doesn't happen really often with her and new movies)

I might have to buy it.

DemonSlayer

Best movie of 2008 (best film released in Australia in 2009 so far). I was surprised Eastwood made a sort of pro-Catholic movie after Million Dollar Baby.

• 4 weeks later...
LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1889964' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:40 PM']Woah. I rented this movie on a whim from Redbox having never heard of it. I went back the same night and bought the movie. Incredible Clint Eastwood movie. Very harsh foul language though. I loved the ending, and the catechetical parallels, but I won't give it away. Who else saw it?[/quote]

I just saw it the other night. Had never seen a preview and wasn't all that interested in seeing it because I assumed it was a Fast & Furious-type action movie. I was pleasantly surprised to be introduced with an actual plot. And a story of redemption, hope, and life-giving sacrifice at that, unlike that God-forsaken pile of joyless euthenasiastic making-garbage-of-human-dignity sack of poo-poo that was "Million Dollar Baby."

I only wish Eastwood's character had straightened out that priest... if anybody needed to be called some feminine terms, it was him. It was a bit frustrating because he was persistent in his role as pastor and the character seemed to care about things like faith and salvation, but in the very end, could his voice have maybe exhibited a little emotion or inflection when he said, "Boy, did I learn"? Didn't sound like he learned a bleepin' thing.

Otherwise, very good story... would love to talk about more. I need to read this thread first...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='curtins' post='1895365' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:55 PM']I want to be walt when I get old. Sit on my porch and drink pats blue ribbon....cept ill go to church lol.[/quote]

Same here... couldn't help but see myself in about 40 years. FWIW, it's Pabst Blue Ribbon, not Pat's. AKA (affectionately known as) PBR and a favorite among the classic lite Midwestern beers next to Old Style and Schlitz.

I couldn't help but say, when his protege's sister can walkin' up the porch steps to invite him over for the family dinner, "That's why he don't wanna go into that old folks' community!"

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1903215' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:12 AM']although it really bugged me when the priest didn't say the right prayer of absolution XD[/quote]

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1903401' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:03 AM']Me too, but then I thought he probably [i]can't [/i]say it, cause it would then be mimicking a priest.[/quote]

If your intention is acting out a sacrament for the purpose of a performance, i.e. your intention is not doing what the Church intends, then it's invalid regardless. It would be more questionable to film a valid sacrament for the purpose of a movie. For example, at a recent Baptism, the priest offered to "fake it" after the sacrament was done for those who wanted to take pictures.

I think, though, that in real life the sacrament would've been valid because the priest did forgive his sins. Almost sounded like he didn't believe it was a worthy Confession, and in that case, a greater error was made in granting forgiveness no matter how poorly performed it was.