An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sports

gopherball33

TempleofVesarius

listen

if dancing is a sport then so is guitar playing

just because you break a sweat while doing something artistic doesnt make it a sport

geetarplayer

What about figure skating? That's a sport. So take away the ice and the skates and you've got dancing. Still a sport.

TempleofVesarius

I dont think figure skating counts as a sport either

and i dont think golf is

and i dont think horseshoes is

and there is a huge list....maybe you should read this whole topic so i dont have to repeat myself

yea yea we know ToV....lol but here's the dictionary's definition of a sport...

1a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. b. A particular form of this activity. 2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. 3. An active pastime; recreation. 4a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks. b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport. c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport. 5a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport. b. Informal One who accepts rules or difficult situations well. c. Informal A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip. 6. Informal a. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life. b. A gambler at sporting events. 7. Biology An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.

so now we can say what is or isn't a sport!

IcePrincessKRS

I dont think figure skating counts as a sport either

and i dont think golf is

and i dont think horseshoes is

and there is a huge list....maybe you should read this whole topic so i dont have to repeat myself

Man, we are SO opinionated....

And no, I'm not pointing the finger just at TofV, I mean our family in general. ;) :P

TempleofVesarius

3. An active pastime; recreation.

so if i break a sweat sewing a quilt, quilting then becomes a sport

there is a difference between practical definitions and dictionary definitions

Edited by TempleofVesarius

hey I was just giving a definition...oh & if you break a sweat quilting, then you've got a SERIOUS perspiration problem, and you need to get to a doc right away!

geetarplayer

ToV, by your definition, people with hyperhydrosis--that is, people who have swolen sweat glands--make their whole lives one big sport.

-Mark

Edited by geetarplayer

Cheering....

NOT A SPORT

not even art

its pathetic peppiness and jumping up and down

I have to agree. Yes, it's hard work. Hey, I was a majorette (otherwise known as baton twirlers) for four years and I don't think it's a sport. Even though in parts of the country they have major competitions and stuff.

Plus, I agree with the whole peppiness thing. Every single cheerleader is peppy (that I've met). Not that it's a bad thing (sometimes it is) but it is kinda annoying.

Plus, I don't really care about this at all. <_<

IcePrincessKRS

Is it bad that every time I read a post about cheerleading I snort and laugh and think of Bring It On?

Peppy.... can we say "Spirit Fingers"???

"I'm sexy, I'm cute, I'm popular to boot...."

"Follow me or perish sweater monkeys."

(I confess, in college we rented this movie constantly until we finally bought it for my friend for her birthday. If I watched it today I could probably talk through the whole thing quoting most of the lines. It was so ridiculously funny, a great thing to mindlessly watch after a tough day of classes or midterms. :P )

TempleofVesarius

ToV, by your definition, people with hyperhydrosis--that is, people who have swolen sweat glands--make their whole lives one big sport.

-Mark

you misunderstood me

an activity requires not only perspiration, but also mental skills, an OPPONENT, and be something more than just a rutine you practice over and over again and try get perfect when the time comes