An Old School Catholic Message Board

Some Questions

DominicanPhilosophy

icelandic_iceskater

not sure ^^ I just asked someone, though... I'll get back to ya on that.

I wish there were more orthodox catholic colleges... there's only one within 600 miles of my house. <_<

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899643' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:07 PM']Ok, yeah, I definitely plan on looking into UD. Hmm..I didn't know that about HCC, either. Would you say that the Campus Ministry is more traditional or charismatic, if you've gotten the chance to experience it yet?
Providence College looks awesome, too! I had never heard of it before. So many great colleges out there, it's overwhelming, though. :shock:

+JMJD[/quote]

Read Newmans Guide to Catholic Colleges :)

DominicanPhilosophy

I have the Guide, and of the colleges listed, I really like a couple of them. But Notre Dame is tugging at my heart a bit right now, which is why I'm quite confused lol. :unsure:

+JMJD

Edited by DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899847' date='Jun 23 2009, 04:49 PM']I have the Guide, and of the colleges listed, I really like a couple of them. But Notre Dame is tugging at my heart a bit right now, which is why I'm quite confused lol. :unsure:

+JMJD[/quote]

As LouisvilleFan pointed out, I would also feel uncomfortable going to college for Theology to a University, though reforming, still does not require an oath of fidelity by the Theology faculty or a Mandatum by the theology faculty.

DominicanPhilosophy

Yeah..do you know if there is a reason that UND has given for not requiring this of its theology department faculty members?

+JMJD

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899865' date='Jun 23 2009, 03:07 PM']Yeah..do you know if there is a reason that UND has given for not requiring this of its theology department faculty members?

+JMJD[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
ask Fr. Philip:
[url="http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/"]http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/[/url]

:D

DominicanPhilosophy

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1899867' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:07 PM']+J.M.J.+
ask Fr. Philip:
[url="http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/"]http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/[/url]

:D[/quote]

Does he have connections to ND?

+JMJD

Deus te Amat

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899875' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:13 PM']Does he have connections to ND?

+JMJD[/quote]

He's teaching my Theology class this summer. :mellow:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899882' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:18 PM']Oh wow! Is he good? Maybe you can just ask him, then haha ;-)[/quote]

My class doesn't start til next month, but I could ask him then, if you still wanted. :)

DominicanPhilosophy

That would be great, actually, lol! Thanks! :) LilRed, has this Fr. Philip taught at ND?

Deus te Amat

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899887' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:23 PM']That would be great, actually, lol! Thanks! :) LilRed, has this Fr. Philip taught at ND?[/quote]

Just so you know, there is a Dominican Priory on the University of Dallas campus.

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899865' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:07 PM']Yeah..do you know if there is a reason that UND has given for not requiring this of its theology department faculty members?

+JMJD[/quote]

The majority of Catholic Colleges/Universities do not require an Oath of Fidelity, I can actually only think of a dozen or so schools that do. Majority of Catholics Colleges are running rampant with heterodoxy (faculty and students included). If they have a heterodox faculty that want to teach "their" way rather than the "Church's" way then why would they want to take an Oath of Fidelity? Some Catholic Colleges are under reconstruction, Notre Dame's Theology department included, but there are still some tenure faculty that won't be budging any time soon.

DominicanPhilosophy

StColette - I see..thank you. In your opinion, would you say to seek out colleges with a Mandatum (ie, Are most colleges [i]without[/i] a required Oath of Fidelity so far out-of-line with True Catholic theology that it would be prudent to look elsewhere first?)?

Also, to those who know ND, how are the Holy Cross Brothers (and Sisters..I think they have Sisters)?

Deus_te_Amat - :clap: UD will definitely be visited by me in the next two years, haha!

+JMJD

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1899875' date='Jun 23 2009, 03:13 PM']Does he have connections to ND?

+JMJD[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
he used to teach regularly at UD.